Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why ask what you can eat when your surgeon/doctor has already told you?

Don't hate me, this is more of a rant than a question, and I do not mean to come across as insensitive, mean, cruel, hateful, etc. But really there is not ONE person on this site who does know know what it means to be on a liquid diet. I just read a post asking "is it ok to eat a bite of chicken 3 days post op!". I have seen posts that ask when will I be able to "eat normal again" (key phrase there is normal. Here is a statement that we all can relate to, none of us here who are canidates for surgery have ever eaten normal. If we had, we would never be here. So if what you relate to normal is how you ate before, my answer is never, if you want to succeed that is.

My surgeon has spelled out the diet, pre-op and post op and is very specific on what my stomach can and can't handle. I cannot imagine coming onto any site and asking permission to break away from my doctors orders. Now if your doctor did not tell you what you could eat or did not answer your questions thoroughly, then ask him AGAIN, until you understand.

This goes without saying for those asking if "symptoms" they are experiencing warrant a visit to the emergency room. Now, know that I work in an emergency room and let me just say this. If you are bleeding out of any part of your body that does not stop or is not supposed to be bleeding, go to the ER; if you have an unexplained fever, go to the ER; if you have uncontrollable pain, go to the ER; basically follow your discharge instructions from the hospital, and you will have your answer. Dehydration is serious, don't let it go.

Ok I will get off my soapbox and yes I will still answer the posts with compassion and honesty and more than anything with a smile on my face and know that it is more difficult for some than others.

Completely agree ans understand your frustration. I have to hold my tongue around here all the time when all I want to scream is wtf are u thinking. Welcome to the party.

Don't hate me' date=' this is more of a rant than a question, and I do not mean to come across as insensitive, mean, cruel, hateful, etc. But really there is not ONE person on this site who does know know what it means to be on a liquid diet. I just read a post asking "is it ok to eat a bite of chicken 3 days post op!". I have seen posts that ask when will I be able to "eat normal again" (key phrase there is normal. Here is a statement that we all can relate to, none of us here who are canidates for surgery have ever eaten normal. If we had, we would never be here. So if what you relate to normal is how you ate before, my answer is never, if you want to succeed that is.

My surgeon has spelled out the diet, pre-op and post op and is very specific on what my stomach can and can't handle. I cannot imagine coming onto any site and asking permission to break away from my doctors orders. Now if your doctor did not tell you what you could eat or did not answer your questions thoroughly, then ask him AGAIN, until you understand.

This goes without saying for those asking if "symptoms" they are experiencing warrant a visit to the emergency room. Now, know that I work in an emergency room and let me just say this. If you are bleeding out of any part of your body that does not stop or is not supposed to be bleeding, go to the ER; if you have an unexplained fever, go to the ER; if you have uncontrollable pain, go to the ER; basically follow your discharge instructions from the hospital, and you will have your answer. Dehydration is serious, don't let it go.

Ok I will get off my soapbox and yes I will still answer the posts with compassion and honesty and more than anything with a smile on my face and know that it is more difficult for some than others.[/quote']

THANNNNK YOU! I as wondering if people just weren't going to a good doctor or just not listening. Maybe some think doctors are being "over progective". Funny you should write your rant, cause I wondered the same thing. With that beinv said, when can I have a Big Mac again? ;) peace & love to all fellow sleevers!!!

What .....are you telling me when I use to eat, 2 burgers, fries ,a large soda and a whole bag of Cookies, that was NOT normal???? and After the Sleeve I will NOT be able to do it???? OH to be Normal and 100lbs overweight again.... LOL, Thanks for you post it made me smile....

My opinion is the the doctor provides an excellent foundation and framework for you, as their patient, to be successful according to Gaussian distribution of results where the median can expect to achieve 60% excess weight loss with a standard deviation of +- 3%. The beauty of reaching out on VST is a means for many to beat the odds governed by the expectations of their doctors. Those that lie near or at 100% loss of excess weight can share their anecdotes as well as eating and fitness strategies to raise the overall success rate of those receptive to advise from others. It is a continuous feedback loop that benefits everyone, including those posting about their success because there is always room to continually improve oneself. If one only follows the advise of a doctor, they may have limiting success because of lack of exposure to high power information gleaned from the aggregate of the masses. To be the most successful, one must be keenly aware of self and how application of available knowledge will help or hurt them. Again, this is only my opinion but I do hope others share the perspective.

My opinion is the the doctor provides an excellent foundation and framework for you, as their patient, to be successful according to Gaussian distribution of results where the median can expect to achieve 60% excess weight loss with a standard deviation of +- 3%. The beauty of reaching out on VST is a means for many to beat the odds governed by the expectations of their doctors. Those that lie near or at 100% loss of excess weight can share their anecdotes as well as eating and fitness strategies to raise the overall success rate of those receptive to advise from others. It is a continuous feedback loop that benefits everyone, including those posting about their success because there is always room to continually improve oneself. If one only follows the advise of a doctor, they may have limiting success because of lack of exposure to high power information gleaned from the aggregate of the masses. To be the most successful, one must be keenly aware of self and how application of available knowledge will help or hurt them. Again, this is only my opinion but I do hope others share the perspective.

It is not those that are asking for input that frustrate me, I do it and will do it too, and have gained some great insight. It is those that are the outliers who want to eat "normal" like they did before the surgery. The questions on what someone can and cannot eat or should I go to the ER that are asked, as not many on here have any medical training, are absurd. Maybe one heals faster than another, maybe one had issues in the surgery that they are not sharing, this is where my frustration lies. It is the input as to "you can eat XYZ on day three because I did and had no problem"......we need to be careful. Just because I can do something doesn't mean someone else can.

There is valuable and important information shared here not to mention a great support system, but really we all need to exercise common sense when it comes to medical questions regarding our recovery.