Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What pushed you to commit?

I've been reading for over a YEAR!!!

I've been to one seminar and think I know the questions and answers by heart.

I don't know why I can't pick up the phone and commit to having the surgery!! :faint: Just the same type of failure I guess as all the other failed attempts at weight loss.

I have enjoyed reading the November and December bandsters posts.

What finally helped make your decision.

I'm self-pay so I guess that's a BIG thing, since I feel that I'm taking a LOT of money from our joint account. We both work very hard to make a living and 16K...well that's a LOT.

I keep thinking I can do it on my own and keep failing. I just tried weight watchers AGAIN for the 100th time and didn't stay on program for a week.

Soooo. I'm afraid of having surgery and not being able to stay on *the program*

:cry

Thanks for listening and hopfully you can give me a *clue*

wellllll, i haven't been able to stay on weight watchers again since 13 yrs ago, when i lost about 45 lbs....then of course, gained that all back and more.

what i was told about this surgery--which i'm having on jan 8--is that it does something to the nerves of the stomach--which make you feel FULL. you just don't feel HUNGRY as you do before the surgery. yes, you have a limited intake of food, and have to learn to obey the rules of the band--but you're not as obsessed with food--because you're not HUNGRY all the time.

this is why i've decided to go ahead with it.

also--less invasive than gastric bypass, etc. etc.

good luck with your decision! as for paying--i would think dr's have payment plans--you might not have to lay out the 16K all at once.

best wishes,

girlin

nyc

WLS is a big decision and it shouldn't be taken lightly. You need to be sure before you commit to it because it is a big step.

I did it because I want to be healthier and I want to have children and my weight is what has been holding us back. I want to live a long, full life and I can't do that being so overweight. I have failed so many times I have lost count. One thing to remember is this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. And even if you have it, you will slip up, we all do but it doesn't mean you are a failure, it means you are human. 16K is a lot of money, I agree but you aren't throwing it away, look at what it could give you. You can't put a price on health and happiness.

Good luck to you! Remember, we are all here for you so lean on us!

I was fat and pregnant which was miserable. I knew I wanted another baby. I had a 1 year old son that I wanted to keep up with. I had a life I wanted to live. I couldn't stick with any diets so I knew I needed the band as my tool. It's a major decision to make so don't take it lightly. I started looking into it 3 years ago. It was the best decision I ever made though! I am 7 1/2 months out, 75 lbs thinner and feel like a new me!

I was ready! I have been on some kind of diet since I was in the third grade. My dear friend had the surgery in Feb of this year. I watched her melt before my eyes. I continued to diet while she was melting and lost and gained the same 20 pounds over and over again. I was over it. Then Thanksgiving I was with my family that lives out west. We were all overweight. I knew I had to get control of it for good. I know this will work b/c I have watched it work for my friend. This year I turn 30 and I refuse to weight 300 pounds with it!!!!

Bottom Line.............I wasn't ready to die. I have too much to live for. food had whipped my butt all of my life and I was fed up with it. I too have tried every weight loss gimmick on the market but to no avail.

The Lap Band was the obvious choice for me. I don't feel like a slave to food anymore. I still enjoy most of what I used to enjoy just not as much of it. And the best part is, I don't feel hungry!

I was nervous about getting the surgery at first. Afraid of the unknown I guess. But now that I've had it (Oct 2nd) and I've lost 40 pounds, I know that it was the best choice I have ever made (next to marrying my lovely bride 30 years ago of course!).

I'm here to tell you Househuntress, it works! I am very happy with it. And I am very happy with the support that I get here at LBT! I call the girls in my favorite thread (October Bandsters) my Angels. Because they are. When I'm in need, they are there. I love them all.

Good luck with your decision. And if you are asking me...go for it girl.

~~Jimboss~~

Middle age looming before me (I'm 39) and thinking how fat, miserable and unwell I was going to be if I didnt stop gaining weight.

I guess you can say I hit rock bottom. I turned 40, and I took a look at my life. I have always done for my husband, my kids and I decided it was time to do something for myself.

WLS is not to be taken lately, I totally agree. I was just sick of being tired, sick of feeling like a fat pig, I was sick of my life the way it was. I love my family and for the most part was happy - but me personally was missing something, and that was the feeling I use to feel. the feeling of youth. I felt that my weight played a big part in that, and I have tried like most everyone here, every diet ever created. Gastric Bypass was out of the question, my DH would never agree to it. And a friend who had the GB, told me about lap-band. The more I researched, the more I know it was for me.

Am I scared, heck yes. Am I nervous about getting the surgery, heck yes. But, I'm prepared to go the distance and do what it takes to feel good about my body and myself again. I am not going to be 40 and fat! By gosh, I can't control turning 40, I can't control the wrinkles I'm beginning to get - but I can control being fat!

I've been overweight most of my life and tried many diets. My 1st marriage ended 7 years ago and one of the reasons was my weight. I was left to raise 2 boys pretty much alone. Needless to say, the weight kept going up. 4 years ago I met a wonderful man online and we married in 2004. He loves me for who I am and didn't care about the weight except to say he wanted me healthy so we could be together forever. The turning point came last summer when we took my boys to the airport to fly to CA to be with their dad. I ended up getting a wheelchair to go the gate with them as I couldn't walk very far. That opened my eyes to how much of life I'm missing out on. I realized that I was going to die much sooner than I needed to. Now with 60 lbs gone, I feel so much better. I have much more to go, but I WILL succeed this time.

Good luck to you!

Househuntress, the only thing I know to add is that I have just had the surgery for the second time. I too am self-pay. The first surgery I had in MX for a fraction of the cost. When my band slipped, which I blame on the fact I didn't have a doc in the states to follow-up, the nurse doing my fills overfilled me, I was ignorant of the potential ...

I had to choose between a car ( mine has transmission problems;won't go over 55mph) and surgery. I chose the surgery because I feel that only weight loss will make me feel truly good. I was so close to my goal before and already felt like a new woman.

It has been a very personal journey for me. I can't tell you how good I feel about my decision. I am 53 and feel 35 again. I enjoy my grandchildren and my job more. My hubby can't stop bragging. That's just me, though. Best of luck in your decision.

Dianne

I was just sick of being fat. I go so fed up about yo yo dieting. I had tried Weight Watchers again as well. The band is a great tool. Never before have I been able to lose so much weight with ease. I feel really confident that this year will bring a ton more lbs gone. Good luck to you on your decision. Its well worth it.

As I watch a program on obesity on Discovery Health, I know the reason I committed to the surgery . . . my life! I have thyroid disease and have been struggling for 20 years with weight issues. I've lost weight on phen-fen and medically supervised diets only to gain it back. With no thyroid, I have no metabolism to burn calories. I can't tell you how much better I feel since the band has limited my intake. Before the band, I was always hungry eventhough I didn't physically need the calories. I finally found something that works!

I am four months out and 31 pounds lighter. I still have 50 pounds or so to make my goal but I am happy I spent the money (self-pay). I feel better everyday and would not hesistate to do it all over again. Recovery was very easy for me.

As mentioned before, the band does change your life. You can cheat the band by eatting high calorie foods. However, once you start losing weight, you will try really hard to make your band happy. I had to give up beer. That was really hard for me. But, I discovered wine. I have really cut back on my alcohol but I refuse to give it up completely. You can still eat and drink most anything, just in small quantites. Once you get fills, you may also have to adjust the time of day you can eat certain foods. I'm pretty tight but can still eat most foods in the evening.

It is a big decision and only you can make it. The best thing is it is reversible.

Good luck!

PatU

I went to a family reunion and was prancing around in a strappy sundress that I thought looked stunning in...

I later looked at the pictures and looked absolutely horrendous. I had no idea!!!!!!! I looked vulgar in my strappy dress and I thought I looked all cute and sexy (in my mind). I will send you the picture if you wish, but it was the straw that broke the camels back.

I admire everyone of you for taking that step in overcoming what was holding you back.

I also want to be healthy and live longer.

My knees hurt every day. I've injured them from volleyball and other sports in high school and college but the weight is taking it's toll after all these years.

I groan when I get up..I don't care how old I am...I NEVER want to sound or act OLD!!

Each post and feed back from all of you wonderful people get me closer to making my decision. I truly know what it will be..it's just making that final call!

I think realizing that I couldn't play with my then 2 year old the way a mother should. I had difficulty getting up off the floor. I had trouble keeping up with him in general. I finally realized that at the rate I was going, my son was going to lose his mother too soon. He deserves a healthy, happy role model.