Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2007 bandsters!

:) What in the world??? I haven't had a thing to eat since Sunday and I'm 10 pounds heavier than I was when I weighed in at the hospital. Has this happened to anybody else? Is it just all the IV fluids and gas they gave me in the hospital? My day after surgery was really rough. There was no way I could go home. Everytime I sat up or tried to stand, I almost passed out and/or threw up. Apparantly, my sleep apnea is worse than I knew and my oxygen levels kept dropping -- even when I was awake. So, I had to stay in the hospital an extra day. I came home yesterday after being banded on Monday afternoon. I, too, have had the gas pains. It was so bad last night that you could actually see my stomach move as the gas rolled around. This clear liquid stage is getting old. At least I get to start on milk and Protein Shakes tomorrow. I'm feeling better everyday, but I hope I can figure out soon what I'm feeling - whether it is gas, hunger, restriction, whatever.

Unless your scales at home are wrong it's quite likely to be the IV fluids. My consultant said it was normal to be a few kgs heavier following surgery due to Fluid retention. Keep positive you haven't physically gained 10lbs of fat; to do that you would have had to consume over 35000 extra calories!!! I'm sure you will finds those extra pounds will disappear as quickly as they came on!

Well I did it today!!!!!!!!!!

Everything went well from what the doc said. But Yes I have the bad gas pains on my left shoulder. I am very tired but can't go to sleep. Have to walk about every 30 min. for me. I hope I am able to sleep good tonight.:) Its been a hard day but I think worth it in the end!!!:update: you all again later. Haven't checked the past couple of hours for temp. But last time I checked I was fine. Hope I am writing this well enough due to being off today:)

Hi All!!

I was banded on Feb. 14 and just now feeling better!!YEA...have been eating mushies since Saturday and wow...I'm hungry. Who knows what the best tasting Protein Shakes are???? I think I'm weak from not enough Protein. I've been eating 3 meals a day as per Dr.'s orders......scrambled eggs 4 oz. , tuna fish...6 oz. , and for dinner....grits or oatmeal or Soup.< /p>

What do you guys eat??? Just wondering????

weight.png

You go girl! Let us know when you get home.

Tracy

well, i'm not home yet, but i got back to the hotel this morning. i rested for an hour or so. then we got up and walked down to the mall! i bought shoes and a toothbrush. LOL.

so, the day after surgery, i feel fine! i mean, my tummy hurts in spots (like around the wounds) and bending over isn't too fun.

i hope this lasts!

i had chicken broth for Breakfast, oj mixed with Water for lunch and mixed cherry Protein Powder with the ojwater mix. mmm.

going home tomorrow... eek! the plane ride should be interesting....

:) What in the world??? I haven't had a thing to eat since Sunday and I'm 10 pounds heavier than I was when I weighed in at the hospital. Has this happened to anybody else? Is it just all the IV fluids and gas they gave me in the hospital? My day after surgery was really rough. There was no way I could go home. Everytime I sat up or tried to stand, I almost passed out and/or threw up. Apparantly, my sleep apnea is worse than I knew and my oxygen levels kept dropping -- even when I was awake. So, I had to stay in the hospital an extra day. I came home yesterday after being banded on Monday afternoon. I, too, have had the gas pains. It was so bad last night that you could actually see my stomach move as the gas rolled around. This clear liquid stage is getting old. At least I get to start on milk and Protein Shakes tomorrow. I'm feeling better everyday, but I hope I can figure out soon what I'm feeling - whether it is gas, hunger, restriction, whatever.

I to gained after surgery it was 9 lbs it took4 days to get back to my surgery weight.I had a hard time getting Water and liquid pain med down for the first 3 or 4 days and did not eat. I started eating cream Soup

and Protein shakes after that and for the last coupe of days I added some mushies, in the last 5 days I have lost 10lbs so it must just be bloating and water weight after surgery. Good Luck !!

Terry

Not complaining..... Just sharing;

I went to the hosp today to get the band,but did not get banded, when the surgeon was inserting the prongs in my abdominal cavity my colon got punctured because having adhesions and being in a wierd spot in my abdominal cavity, so the dr. spent 2 hours taking care of adhesions. He said he could have done the band but wanted to be safe than sorry. I totally am happy he made that decision.

I have a post op appt on 2/28 and will ask alot of questions, but now am looking very forward to coming back and smooth sailing with band surgery.

I am writing from hosp. bed and would do this again if they asked me to tomarrow AM.

Was extremely nervous and as they wheeled me into surg. room I asked them what would happen if I changed my mind and I am sure they knew I was backing out and the next thing I was in recovery, thinking "is it over?" thank you lord; I made it!

I am not tooooo bummed, I am happy it is easy, I am happy that I can come back and I won't be scared next time, and I am very happy that the surgeon and this hosp staff are taking such great care of me!

I don't know alot of the answers to the same questions that are going through my mind as they are going through yours, but I have a post op appt on 2/28 and can ask all the same questions then. Including... when can I resched. my surgery?

I am to have my surgery on the 27th, well my husband broke his ankle on Monday, then Monday night he fell in the bathroom and I had to pick up off the floor hopefully it was just the Vicodin which he's not going to take any more of. He was supposed to drive my and take care of me now I'm taking care of him. I don't want to cancel my surgery my neighboor said she would drive me down and help. I would pay for her hotel room as we are about three hours from the sugery site and a snow storm is supposed to be comming in. I only took a week off work, and I work two jobs have scheduled them both so I don't have to be there. Any suggestions will this surgery still be possible?

Jen

One of my co-workers up here hasn't been feeling to good for about three weeks now. Gave birth two months ago and her symptoms have been very gall bladder like. ANYwho, yesterday it was bad and by 3:30 she was on the floor expelling into her trash can. I'm so convinced it's gall bladder related that it didn't occur to me that it might be viral. Her mom just called and said her gall bladder is acting up, however, she also has a stomach virus.:sick CRAP. I'm supposed to have surgery on Tuesday. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let me get this crap. ugh!:) What should I do? Is there any think preventative I can do?

I was banded on Tuesday, 2 hours from home. Everyone in my house was too sick Tuesday morning and could never have made a 2 hour trip to bring me then make it back home. So I drove myself there and drove myself home the next day. It was fine. I needed a long nap once I got home but other than that, my kids were all still sick so I still needed to take care of them. In the end I have had little rest and little time to sit down. The positive side to that though is that my gas is rapidly exiting my body. No one was happy that I was driving myself home but I needed to get home to help take care of my family. Don't cancel your surgery. It will work out.

Well, I had my surgery on February 12 and I'm still not feeling too well. I still have pain in my upper abdomen and upper back. The physician's assistant says it's probably due to my hiatal hernia repair. I also had my gallbladder removed. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that I'm not feeling better by now, but I really thought I would. Does anyone else who had their surgery around 2/12 still have discomfort? Just wondering.

I'm also still on this awful liquid diet. Almost 4 weeks now! I can't wait to start mushies next week. That sounds pathetic.

Regards... Debbie

man there is a horrible virus going around and i mean really going around. I have family in maine sick, my brother in nyc sick, people around here in south texas sick, its quite amazing how far this spreads.

If you get it you get it, but id take extra Vitamin C, only drink bottled Water, and dont be around anyone!

I was alone during my surgery too. i hired a cabbie to wait for me in the waiting room (mandatory) then drive me back to the cottage on the island (around 60 miles from the surgical center). I was by myself after that and i did fine. set things up for yourself beforehand, like, get your chicken broth cans all lined up in the cupboard, protien waters (special k, yum) and protien shakes too. your liquid tylenol and liquid Vitamin, heating pad by a comfy chair or couch with lots of pillows, get that netflix subscription kicked in so youve got a lot of movies to watch for the next three or four days and youll be even better than fine.

oh..gas x pepermint creme chewables ROCK.

:)

Hi All!!

I was banded on Feb. 14 and just now feeling better!!YEA...have been eating mushies since Saturday and wow...I'm hungry. Who knows what the best tasting Protein Shakes are???? I think I'm weak from not enough Protein. I've been eating 3 meals a day as per Dr.'s orders......scrambled eggs 4 oz. , tuna fish...6 oz. , and for dinner....grits or oatmeal or Soup.< /p>

What do you guys eat??? Just wondering????

I was banded on 2/14 as well. Other than some minor discomfort at the port area, I'm feeling fine, although I do tire easily.

My doctor (and it does seem as if every doctor is different) has me on five Clear Liquids AND three protein shakes daily for two weeks, and then two weeks of five full liquids/mushies AND two protein shakes daily. However, at 8 days, I chose to start adding in creamy Soups.< /p>

I have found that the EAS Advant Edge protein shakes (17g of protein) are very tasty and not quite as heavy as powdered shakes.

I tried taking airborne (which I swear by) the day before my surgery. But being on clear liquids the airborne made me sick. I didn't catch what everyone else had but I think only because I wasn't eating.

Can you take airborne with the band? I hope so because I swear by that stuff.