Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how is drinking alcohol after post op

So im kinda curious how drinking alcohol is after post op is quicker or longer i mean what are your experiences with it ????

Exactly the same as before for me except I sober up quicker. (7 1/2 months out). It used to take me ages to finish a drink but from 6ish months out its now the same as pre-op.

I really don't have an answer to your question. I do know it is not advised.

Very weird for me... Being predominantly Irish I had always had an extremely high tolerance and could drink nearly anyone (except my 90lb Irish grandmother) under the table. That said i was a very infrequent drinker, and drank a lot less as I got older.

Now it's a whole different ballgame. Only have had a couple drinks (7 months post op). Each time it was the same. Drunk and loopy nearly instantly and from very little. Over with nearly as fast.

So instead of a long build, a nice mellow buzz for a while and a slow slide to sober. It's now drink a few sips, count to 10, totally buzzed in a very intense way, wait 5 minutes and it's over. Really quite different and not any fun. If we are out for Mexican food and my wife orders a Margarita, I'll sip a tiny bit but otherwise it's not worth it for me.

I'm only two weeks out, so not drinking yet, but I had to take pain medication, and found that a lower dose had a stronger effect on me, and more quickly, than previously. That might have been because I was still on clear fluids at the time.

But I can see why they're worried about increased addictions after WLS.

I actually find it the opposite effect as it seems to take more to get me loopy. Not good. I was always a drinker and I am working very hard not to let it become a cross addiction. I don't understand when people say it affects them so quickly. Not me. Don't know why.

I am 3 months out and my surgeon and NUT say it's ok after 6 weeks. I used to have a glass or two of wine every night. Now, I have a glass or two on the weekends and only red. The first few sips, I feel but it passes after a few minutes. After that, its the same as it was before. It's different for everyone.

If you have not had a drink since surgery, I would recommend you try it at home first. You don't really know if you can tolerate it or not. It may send you running to the bathroom quickly.

Same as before. My dr cleared me at 4 weeks post op.

It's the same as it was before surgery for me.

I feel like a bunch on Doctors give a different length of time before drinking again! I have seen a variety of posts on this subject anywhere for 1 month to 6 months... So what is it, just wondering for future...Summer/ Happy hour/football season...

It's the same as it was before surgery for me.

I just came back from Jamaica, and my best friend promotes parties there. I drank like a sailor and I was good. The first night I drank 4 shots of white rum and realized that I was not even tipsy. So....Don't judge me! I'm curbing my dirty ways.

I get tipsy much faster. Like one full glass of wine versus two pre-op. But it wears off much faster too, I find. Other than that, not much different than pre-op. I haven't tried hard liquor though but I got sick from it before surgery so I'll probably continue to avoid it anyways.

I just came back from Jamaica' date=' and my best friend promotes parties there. I drank like a sailor and I was good. The first night I drank 4 shots of white rum and realized that I was not even tipsy. So....Don't judge me! I'm curbing my dirty ways.[/quote']

How far out are you?

Drinking is meh for me as a post op. I like the quick buzz that occurs on very little (1/2 glass), but most of the time it wears off in about 10 minutes. Definitely stick to 1 las because 2 does nothing extra sceptic add calories. If you are still in the losing part of your journey, do be a little careful about how much you drink, even if you can drink it. drinks will not help you lose weight and often times causes stalls or gains. That said, 1-2 a month should be ok if hat is what you want. Some drink more often while others do not drink at all. It is definitely a matter of personal choice. I have been averaging about 1 a month and I has to be a good reason. My favorite is an expensive Chardonnay or a very well blended mix of spirits ( a least a Long Island). It is not worth my time or calories to wasted lesser drinks! Good luck.