Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apples, oranges...fresh fruit

i was banded in Nov. and am wondering about apples WITH the peel on!

i have been peeling them but it's not the same. Is it a no-no to eat the whole thing?

What about oranges etc.?

Thanks,

cal

Hi Cal,

I was banded in late-October and have had apples with the skin on. I just make sure to chew well. Even though I've had two fills, I'm still not at my "sweet spot" so that may be a reason. I'd go ahead and try a bite... this way you'll know for sure.

Good luck!

I have not tried with the peal on. My doctor said it would be hard to eat, so I havee avoided it. Too scared of getting stuck. I was told the same with oranged, that the membranes of the orange could couse problems. Nutritionally, they are fine though.

i was banded in Nov. and am wondering about apples WITH the peel on!

i have been peeling them but it's not the same. Is it a no-no to eat the whole thing?

What about oranges etc.?

Thanks,

cal

Page 13 of the Inamed Patient Handbook (http://www.allerganandinamed.com/pdf/health/94829-12_LB_Patient_Book.pdf) says . . .

Common Problem Foods

Some foods have difficulty passing

through the opening of the stoma and

may cause blockage. These include foods

such as:

° dry meat

° shrimp

° untoasted or doughy bread

° Pasta

° rice

° Peanut Butter

° dried fruit

° fibrous vegetables like corn,

asparagus and celery

° nuts

° coconut

° popcorn

° greasy or fried food

° seeds and skins of fruits and

vegetables

° membrane of citrus fruits

Introduce these foods slowly and

individually to see if they are tolerated.

Always be careful, chew well, and follow

your surgeon’s or dietitian’s advice.

I have been having a lot of foods get stuck this past week but oranges are not one of them. I eat them almost every day and have never had a problem. Apples are fine with me too.

Give it a try, just remember to chew really well.

I peel apples but then I always have, I cant stand the skin. It does something to my teeth - a bit like fingernails on a blackboard. I know most of the nutrients are undre the skin. But I like them peeled and the peel does give me a bit of discomfort.

Oranges I have no problem with at all.

I had heard about the apples and the issue with the skin, so I always use caution and peel them, and am super careful with grapes, always chewing and watching for the skins to be shewed thoroughly. I had never even thought about the orange membranes, and eat oranges all the time!!!I eat full size naval oranges, and canned mandarin oranges both....thank goodness I have never had a problem, I will be more cautious now!!!

Bananas, while there is not a reason, are a hard food for me...VERY small bites, and only a couple of bites, or I hurt! go figure!!!

Good Luck!

Kat

It does seem sort of odd that all the things we were taught to eat as the most healthy are all of a sudden potential dangers. Apples, oranges, salad, carrots, etc. I admit that sometimes I do question the wisdom of packing my gut with Protein powder and skipping all the fresh fruits and vegetables. I know we are able to eat fruits and vegetables to some degree, but the odd balance of nutrition with the band seems unnatural in a way.

But then, I'll have time to worry about all that once I lose 100 pounds. For now, I know that the first priority is to shed the extra weight.

It does seem sort of odd that all the things we were taught to eat as the most healthy are all of a sudden potential dangers. Apples, oranges, salad, carrots, etc. I admit that sometimes I do question the wisdom of packing my gut with Protein powder and skipping all the fresh fruits and vegetables. I know we are able to eat fruits and vegetables to some degree, but the odd balance of nutrition with the band seems unnatural in a way.

I agree. I really miss my fresh fruits and veges. They're the one thing that I didn't expect to not be able to tolerate. I used to live for summer fruits and I'd munch on raw veges all the time. I honestly don't know if I would have gotten the band had I known it would end my love affair with fruit. bread, while I love it, I am seeming to do without it OK. But I mourn the loss of fruit.

I have had a misconception of fruit & veggies with the band. I thought that veggies had to be cooked to mush first and have been totally afraid to try fruit.

I recently was told by local fellow bandsters that fruit and veggies are best eaten fresh/raw. My doctor said the same thing the other day when I went to see him. He said that a lot of folks adapt a vegetarian lifestyle with the band.

As far as what things I have tried (because I was afraid to try anything) have been apples no peels, I can't eat the skins off tomatoes either. I have successfully eaten grapes and mandarin oranges from the can. I haven't tried fresh oranges, although they were my favorite this time of year prior to banding.

My problem has been that I've been scared to death to try anything, primarily eating Protein, Beans and crackers (to have with my tuna salad etc.) I went to the store yesterday with some new ideas and bought some romaine, cucumbers and radishes to get started on trying new things.

That's good news about people eating fruits and veggies, and the doctor's comments. Please let us know how it goes with the band when you start trying these things.

Oh boy...apples with the peel on do NOT work for me. I basically don't have problems with food but apples with the peel hurt like h#ll for me! Be careful and if you try it I'd suggest slicing it instead of just eating it normally so that you don't try too much peel at one time until you see if it agrees with your band.

Oranges...I eat the inside but haven't attempted the pith. After the apples, I just don't want to chance it!