Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TWO WEEK LIQUID PRE SURG DIET ANNOYING!

I am two weeks out until my surgery and am supposed to be doing the Liquid Protein diet. I'm a rebel at heart and hate rules, so I knew this would be difficult for me, especially since the reason they want you to do it (the liver issue) seems so dumb. Obviously if I am 220 and my liver is what it is, so be it. There are people who have surgery at 400 pounds and they still do it with their liver. That being said, I am worried that they will cancel my surgery the day of if I don't lose this ten pounds they want people to lose for the two weeks. I'm even getting crazy thoughts like weighing in for my preop with 20 rolls of quarters stuffed in my pants so I weigh more! lol. Anyway, I know I'm only hurting myself and I should follow the rules, but does anybody else think this liquid 2 week deal is dumb? I totally get following the rules after the diet, because YOU HAVE TO, but I'm annoyed with this. I am doing my best, but it's frustrating. Yes, I'm being negative. That's just because I am thinking, if I could do two weeks of liquids and lose ten pounds, I wouldn't be needing this surgery! Frustrated and feeling negative here. Help, please!

Aside from the fact that they claim it shrinks your liver (I'm still not 100 percent sold on that). It also preps you for life after postop.

Honestly in my opinion it can only help you succeed. If you can't follow this for 2 weeks. What will you do when you have 4-6 weeks of liquids postop?

Just giving you a different perspective. Postop is hard mentally. And I would take those 2 weeks to prep.

Good luck.

Yes, it's difficult, but worth it. My pre-op door consisted of four lowfat, low carb Protein Shakes a day. I followed it exactly and currently am three weeks post-op. I had no complications, very little pain. I was exercising 30 minutes a day starting day 3. I could drink all my Water and get in all my Protein since day 2. Some folk's have had nicks to other organ's while the docs wrestle with their oversized liver. Some had to go from laproscopic to open surgery. If you can't handle two weeks, how will you handle life after surgery? Believe me...you CAN do the pre-op without cheating! Take it one day at a time and keep as busy as possible to help pass the time. Do fun (non food) things. Exercise so you are as strong as you can be going into the surgery. I wish you the very best of luck.

One of my coworkers didn't follow it at all, she had no issues. But I was too scared not to follow the rules. I am sure it does help if you have fatty liver to reduce the size somewhat and makes less chance that they could hit your liver at all since it may be more in the way. I know it sucks! I hated it but I am sure that it may help eliminate some possible complications and the surgery will just have a better chance to go smoother. However just playing the devils advocate, not all doctors require a preop diet, some just ask for liquids 24 hours prior. I still think you should follow your own docs rules just to be safe. I do doubt they would cancel the surgery if you didn't lose, my coworker lost only 2 lbs, but just to let you know, right now she doesn't follow any plan and eats whatever and has only lost 35 since December. She was never really committed from day one.

Honestly, theres a part of me that thinks they do that just to prepare you and the liver thing is just an excuse. I can say from experience that it definitely helps you prepare for post op both mentally and physically. It helps your body star shaking some if the cravings so it isn't so bad post op when you truly can't veer off the diet. It also helps you figure out how you are going to handle the social situations. Post-op is no joke and its hard. That first week, while your body is adjusting, you still feel hungry with both tummy hunger and head hunger. It's not an easy transition at first. The two week pre op helps that because in case you mess up, it's not life threatening yet. Also, a tip that helps is cut the caffeine and pop now because if you don't, you will be in a world of misery. I'm now 5 weeks out and far better adjusted but I'm sooooo glad that's all behind me! Good Luck to you!!

I'm struggling as well. My surgery is on the 19th... I have been making good food choices but I just can't get full day in of liquids... I'm going to be try to be strong for the last week. I'm so concerned that it will be cancelled. That's my biggest fear. Trying to stay strong....

Thanks for all the input! I am going to put out my best effort and that's all I can do. I think everybody is right, it's not so much about the liver, it has more to do with just getting used to following a different life style. Everybody made really good points! Tomorrow is my preop tests, and I am sure they weigh you and then 13 days from now, the day of surgery they weigh you. I googled that 2 rolls of quarters weighs a pound, so I seriously thought I would stick a few in my bra and pants so tomorrow's weight was high and then surgery day it looks like I lost a lot!!!. But the fact that I even consider that idea makes me realize I'm sick in the head and better take a good strong look at this choice i am making and the life changes I am going to have to make. I really want this surgery and weight loss. It's like the old saying, nothing tastes as good as feeling thin feels, or something like that. I can mix that up a little and say nothing feels as good as not having to hide rolls of quarters in your pants so you an try to "beat the system" and just following the damn program! I'm back on track. Thank you for reminding me why I am doing this :-)

Consider yourself lucky, mine's 3 weeks. :o You're gonna do great. B)

I did follow my dr's requirements and still do at 3 mos out. I don't plan to screw around with this. The Pre Op was the most difficult part for me. Keep looking toward the prize- a healthy thinner happier you and do the very best you can to get there.

A direct quote from a friend who was sleeved in march "One thing I wish someone had told me beforehand (not that it would have changed my mind, but I wish I had been prepared), is that I would no longer enjoy eating. Nothing tastes good to me, and I get disgusted with most things after a couple bites. My tastes have completely changed. I no longer like anything sweet, and tend to like things a lot spicier than I did before. I have mixed feelings on all of this. Sometimes I get a little down thinking that I may go through the rest of my life without ever enjoying food again. I just wanted to make you aware because no one made me aware of this before surgery. Overall, I am VERY happy with everything, and would do it all over again."