Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 5:2 diet

I put in 23 hours a day of sitting because I really don't do much when I'm not at the gym. and 1 hour a day of working out and it gave me 1400 calories.

When I was hooked up to that machine at the doctor it said my basic metobolic rate was 1200. I knew my metabolism was really slow. That was when I first had lap band surgery' date=' but I've built a lot of muscle since then, which is supposed to help with slow metabolisms. .[/quote']

Your BMR was only 1200? Are you tiny and short? That seems very low, but would definitely qualify as a low metabolism! Mine was nearly 1900 and is now more in the 16-1700 range after losing weight. Are you hypothyroid? I'm not trying to 'fix' a non problem here...however, I also wonder abt the 23 hrs sitting (presumably some of those are actually lying down tho lol). Any quick ways to get more activity into your days, even little ones? Helps burn cals of course, but is also good for lots of other hormonal/general health and mood reasons.

Here's another calculator that gives you nutrients and fat loss #'s I try to do TDEE but it's rather hard. For me it says 1800 to maintain and 1400

To lose.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Using various inputs (eg, does walking count as exercise?) gives me between 2100 and 2500 cals per day. So if I'm eating 1800-2000, even though it sounds like a lot, it seems like its not too crazy. I guess I'm really surprised by how few cals my fellow vets are eating several years out. Even with my low carbing/paleo, I get a lot of cals in. I'm wondering if a lot of it isn't down to not eating low fat at all? Just thinking aloud here. :-D

Using various inputs (eg' date=' does walking count as exercise?) gives me between 2100 and 2500 cals per day. So if I'm eating 1800-2000, even though it sounds like a lot, it seems like its not too crazy. I guess I'm really surprised by how few cals my fellow vets are eating several years out. Even with my low carbing/paleo, I get a lot of cals in. I'm wondering if a lot of it isn't down to not eating low fat at all? Just thinking aloud here. :-D[/quote']

I'm sure it has a great deal to do with fat, etc. Your proven daily eating plan is probably naturally higher in calories. We are probably eating about the same AMT of food. Different types. Veggies very low cal. Lean turkey very low cal. Natural fruits low cal.

Yeah, I know my metabolism is really slow. I am short 5'2" and small boned. They say yo yo dieting slows down your metabolism and that's what I did, all my life.

I called today and I can have it done at my band surgeon's office for $50 and I have an appt to do it next thurs.

I can't exercise for 24 hours before the test. I am not supposed to eat or drink and just get out of bed and go. Then they hook me up to a machine and I breathe in and out of this tube for 20 min and it will tell me how many calories I burn without exercise. I'll be curious to see if it has changed. I had that done when I still had my band and I was losing really slowly. It's been at least 5 years ago.

I am fasting tomorrow! I am loving how this has gotten rid of my cravings and I really don't care when I eat . It's like when I was first sleeved.

So what are the general thoughts on making a 5:2 group?

I have to find out if there would be any advantage to doing that. If people want to check it out and post, I am not sure if they can post if they don't join the group.

So what are the general thoughts on making a 5:2 group?

I have to find out if there would be any advantage to doing that. If people want to check it out and post' date=' I am not sure if they can post if they don't join the group.[/quote']

Sounds good

Onward and upward! Fast Day! Yippee! :). It's 9am and I'm hungry today. Hmm. I will persevere, though, and not eat my oatmeal tip 10 or 11! Lol

Onward and upward! Fast Day! Yippee! :). It's 9am and I'm hungry today. Hmm. I will persevere' date=' though, and not eat my oatmeal tip 10 or 11! Lol[/quote']

I have been hungry all week! I mean I feel like I have no sleeve hungry!!!!

On that note fast day today, wish me (and everyone around me) luck.

My weight has been up a pound all week. It's funny because I haven't cheated (that bad) this week. I feel like the hunger, urge and stressing, has me holding on to the weight.

After 2 normal days, my weight has actually been dropping! Again, I am trying not to get to excited about it, but this morning it was the lowest I have seen since I started gaining weight a few months ago.

Yesterday, I also decided to try through a 16:8 fast into the works (it is called the 8 hour diet). You eat all your calories within an 8 hour period and fast for 16 hours. There are no calories restrictions. Since on my fast days, I find that I actually feel really well not eating Breakfast, I thought I would give it a try. It went alright and I found that I ate less, but I am not sure I will do it every normal day. Maybe just every once in a while to shake things up a little bit!

Today is my second fast day of the week. I woke up hungry this morning since I haven't eaten since about 7:30 last night (I usually try to have a later snack in the evening before a fast because I do not eat until lunch). Today might be a struggle, but I will see. Still going to stick it out!

I have been hungry all week! I mean I feel like I have no sleeve hungry!!!!

On that note fast day today, wish me (and everyone around me) luck.

My weight has been up a pound all week. It's funny because I haven't cheated (that bad) this week. I feel like the hunger, urge and stressing, has me holding on to the weight.

Hormones maybe? I know my weight goes up and I want to eat everything in sight!

You can do it! I am fasting today too and woke up hungry. We can get through it!

Hormones, Laura? If that's the case, they get me all the time. The only time I feel like I could (nay, MUST) eat all day, every day is when I'm hormonal. I'd peel paint off the walls during this time period. It's pure misery. Add in that my capacity seems magically doubled during this time and I can find myself in a heap of trouble.

I'm down for a group if someone would rather set that up instead of keeping a thread going here. Just make sure there's a clear post here with a link if we do that so nobody gets lost!

Bounce! That's the sound my scale made this morning. I'm okay with it because I expected it yesterday. What did I say? That I'd have a great day and get socked? Yep, guess my body doesn't care that I had Protein Shakes and high Protein meals yesterday. I'm up from the day before, but still down 1.2 pounds for the week so far.

Today's a normal day; tomorrow I'll fast. Crap. I should have fasted today. Tomorrow is Shabbat dinner and it's hard to fast on Fridays in this house. Maybe I can tweak today's plan and make it into a fast day. Shoot. That's what I get for letting time get away from me. I already had a slice of the cinnamon raisin bread I made yesterday but if I slowly sip a Protein coffee through lunch I think I can make it. Dang...fast days that aren't structured stink.

Anyone else notice that their feelings about fast days are affected by the weather? Seriously, the dreary weather gets me down and it makes everything harder, even fast days. I haven't seen the sun since Sunday. :(

Hope everyone else is doing well. I know we have a couple of other gals fasting today. I guess I'm one of them. I need a calendar stapled to my forehead. Every day is the same when you're a stay at home mom.

~Cheri

Hormones maybe? I know my weight goes up and I want to eat everything in sight!

You can do it! I am fasting today too and woke up hungry. We can get through it!

We can be hungry together then! Because my stomach is growling!

When I do a fast day I don't eat (except for Monday night with the Fiber one bar) after 7pm the night before. Last night my choice of dinner was awful! I think that's why I'm so hungry this morning. My son had a dental procedure yesterday and wanted Soup for dinner. Well he picked out creamy potato bacon.... Enough said.

Ok on that note, lets do this!!

Hormones, Laura? If that's the case, they get me all the time. The only time I feel like I could (nay, MUST) eat all day, every day is when I'm hormonal. I'd peel paint off the walls during this time period. It's pure misery. Add in that my capacity seems magically doubled during this time and I can find myself in a heap of trouble.

I'm down for a group if someone would rather set that up instead of keeping a thread going here. Just make sure there's a clear post here with a link if we do that so nobody gets lost!

Bounce! That's the sound my scale made this morning. I'm okay with it because I expected it yesterday. What did I say? That I'd have a great day and get socked? Yep, guess my body doesn't care that I had Protein Shakes and high Protein meals yesterday. I'm up from the day before, but still down 1.2 pounds for the week so far.

Today's a normal day; tomorrow I'll fast. Crap. I should have fasted today. Tomorrow is Shabbat dinner and it's hard to fast on Fridays in this house. Maybe I can tweak today's plan and make it into a fast day. Shoot. That's what I get for letting time get away from me. I already had a slice of the cinnamon raisin bread I made yesterday but if I slowly sip a Protein coffee through lunch I think I can make it. Dang...fast days that aren't structured stink.

Anyone else notice that their feelings about fast days are affected by the weather? Seriously, the dreary weather gets me down and it makes everything harder, even fast days. I haven't seen the sun since Sunday. :(

Hope everyone else is doing well. I know we have a couple of other gals fasting today. I guess I'm one of them. I need a calendar stapled to my forehead. Every day is the same when you're a stay at home mom.

~Cheri

Cheri, Laura and I are fasting and Supersweetums too! I LOVE rainy weather but not sure I could take a steady diet either of gloomy, cloudy weather! Turn on ALL your lights!!!! ha! You can do this!

And as to hormones, Supersweetums and Laura, I can ONLY WISH! 59 1/2 - hysterectomy 13 years ago - nothing - nada - wish I had hormone replacement again!!!!! LOL!

Cheri,

I wish it were hormones! I don't know I had my period two weeks ago... So who knows?

The group thing? It might be good. I've not been in a private group yet so I'm not sure of all the in and outs of it?

Oh MFP, you make me giggle. Sure, it's kind of a mean, cynical snort more than a giggle, but it's there nonetheless.

I logged in today's plan - looks like I can just squeeze in with 550 today and that's close enough for me. Not really mentally prepared for this so we'll see how it goes.

But MFP told me I'd weigh 132 in five weeks and it made me snort up my coffee. As if! I was also chastised with the fine print for eating less than my daily calories but that happens all the time.

How do you guys feel about the MFP exercise tracking? As in, their calorie estimates? Because I seriously wonder if it's really possible I burn so many calories doing housework for two hours straight.

Maybe I should attach those sand weights to my arms while I fold laundry so I can have those rockin' arms I dream about. :P

~Cheri