Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 5:2 diet

Lecture over.

Swizzly - hang in there. Go to the top of this thread and hit the "Follow this topic" button or go to your settings on your profile and ask to be notified about your threads so you don't lose out on the support we have going here. Good luck on your day!

Cause I must say, we're an awesome group. :)

Fast day! I think that mentally this one might be a bit more challenging. We'll see how it goes. I have my food logged and I'm not feeling hungry. I just mentally woke up with a case of the Mondays and seriously thought, "Eh, Monday stinks and I don't want to fast." Oh well, I'm going to do it, anyway!

Down 6 tenths of a pound from yesterday, though. And with a fast day today that scale will surely be lower on Tuesday. It'll be a lie, of course, because I'll probably see a bounce the day after. But for a brief, shining moment I think I'm going to see a weight right smack where I used to be.

Keep on plugging away and I'll lose these last couple pounds!

~Cheri

Yesterday (Birthday party for my Bro) came out fine. Kept within my calorie goal range, ate cake. Yummy restaurant food off the menu with the one change from Pasta to veggies. (Olive Garden) cheese stick for Breakfast and dinner, but was full. Lost .1 pound- new low for this year, and fasting/resting today. So far, a good way to live. Fun plans for later today. See you all later Ladies and Gents!

I don't feel like I am dieting either, even though it is labeled the 5:2 diet. I find my fast days fairly easy, for the most part. As long as I have a plan, they go fairly smoothly. And knowing I can eat something I might be craving the next day makes all the difference. I think the word has such negative feelings around it, when people hear "diet", they think crazy cabbage Soup, Atkins, etc.

I don't view diligence as "dieting". When I got the surgery, I decided to overhaul the way I ate, but I made changes I could live with for a lifetime. I actually never counted anything, but cut out the white stuff, never keep trigger foods in my house, and quit drinking with my meals. I still enjoy eating ice cream with my kids once in a while, or having a few french fries off my husband's plate. I knew I could never go the rest of my life without ever enjoying food again. I've said it again and again, I worry about the people that go to extremes on either side of this. Either they vow to never watch what they eat again because the didn't get the sleeve so they would have to diet. Then, like so many attest to, the weight starts to creep back on. Or they go the other way and restrict themselves to extremes, which, in my humble opinion, is not sustainable. We have all done it, lost the weight, and then gained it back. Why? Because not many can live like that for the next 30 or 40 years.

I like what you said, Cheri, about the word "diet" seems to imply that it ends some day. But when we stop being accountable is when we run into problems!

Well, enough with my rant of the day! Today is my fast day as well. Woke up this morning down a little from yesterday, so still sitting at 2.8lbs lost since I started fasting. The next 2 weeks are the typical weeks that I tend to lose (up to ovulation time, then all scale hell breaks loose!). So I am hoping to see some good stuff the next few weeks. Plus we have no major events for a couple of weeks, so I am going to get back to my regular eating routine on my non-fast days.

Have a great fasting day to all my fellow Monday fasters and a great week to everyone!

Yesterday (Birthday party for my Bro) came out fine. Kept within my calorie goal range, ate cake. Yummy restaurant food off the menu with the one change from Pasta to veggies. (Olive Garden) cheese stick for breakfast and dinner, but was full. Lost .1 pound- new low for this year, and fasting/resting today. So far, a good way to live. Fun plans for later today. See you all later Ladies and Gents!

So exciting that this is working so well for you!

Amen! 4 yrs ago when I decided to get banded' date=' I decided that I'd never diet again. The band would do all the work. For the first 2 1/2 yrs, I didn't diet. I ate whwatever I wanted to and as much as I wanted (very little due to restriction) and never counted or weighed anything. Then my slip happened. I got 1/2 my Fluid out and gained 20 lbs in 14 mths. I still refused to diet. When my band has "fixed itself", I will go back to eating whatever I want to and lose weight. That didn't happen. Actually, my band herniated 3 mths ago and I got all my Fluid out and it was recommended that they take it out (where I am now, waiting till July 16 for sleeve revision). i saw my scale creeping up more and more everyday. I have very minimal restriction now and still eat whatever I want. In Feb, I actually tried Atkins induction for 4 weeks. Never cheated once. Hubby is a low carber so I had someone going thru the HELL with me. I would've killed my mother for a cookie (if she had been around!). At the end of the 4 weeks, I had lost 12 of the 30 lbs I had regained. I was so miserable. I majored in nutrition in college and know how silly Atkins really is. Especially induction. The body wasn't meant to survive on basically 0 carbs. While I can't argue the fact that I lost 12 lbs (my husband reminds me daily, still), I gained them back within the next month. Went back to eating whatever I wanted, however much I wanted (I mean, it worked for me while my band was working, why not now?)

So here I am 18 mths after being within 9 lbs of my goal, 30 lbs heavier. And "never dieting" is still my mantra. I'm expecting to go thru the sleeve surgery in a breeze and automatically lose weight eating whatever I want, however much I want (knowing that it'll be very little). Every bit of research I do tho recommends actually eating healthy foods and cutting back on junk. Wow. What a concept.

I"VE decided that I'm actually gunna give it a try. I'm not gunna cheat on my post op diet (like I did with my lapband), I'm gunna cut back (not eliminate) on simple carbs (sugar, bread, Pasta, rice) and focus more on health and not on being skinny. Heart disease runs in my family and I already have hypertension so I really do need to eat healthy.

Anyway, I just wanted to agree with your non dieting tactics. however, going overboard hasn't worked for me for the long haul. yes, it did bring me within 9 lbs of my 135 goal, but I couldn't maintain it. I want to get on the scale everyday and see the same number (now it's 130) without breaking a sweat. Thats not gunna happen. I have to earn it, I guess. And it breaks my heart to admit defeat. Guess I have to "diet" forever.[/quote']

Hopefully, we are all getting to the place that we understand that nothing worthwhile comes easily. Healthy living and weight control is the same. We all liked the honeymoon period of the sleeve and how quickly (most of us) lost weight even if some didn't reach exactly where they wanted to. Most of us have become healthy, active individuals because of our TOOL. That said, we can call it what we will. 5:2, fasting, watching what we eat, moderation. It is ALL dieting in some way or other. Moderation and exercise is dieting. For many of us, moderation didn't and doesn't work. Abstinence works for some. What I'm trying to say is, call it what you will- we will ALL have to work at it. We didn't magically get thin and stay there. We won't for the long haul either. Just sayin... I honestly feel in control actually more today than I have ever because of the tool I've chosen to use. Not a diet, a lifestyle fully embraced by watching what I eat ( and I eat most things. Had cake last night!) and cutting back 2 days a week along with logging and exercise. Hope that helps. :)

Oh, and down another pound. 18 so far. Again, I and stringently following 5:2 and eating much less over all with increased exercise ( for me:) I've been lucky to lose more quickly which has been encouraging because I went through a period of months where I couldn't see to get under control and continued to gain back

Everyone on here are my inspirations. I try and read everthing that everyone of you post. Thank you to each and everyone. I take words from all and put them all together and that is what keeps me going every day. Just knowing that everyone is real and not trying to be something your not, is my influnce not to ever give up. I applaud you all as being a great role model for many of us here on VST.

Well' date=' that's just it. Many of us here can't go back to our normal. Normal is an ingrained habit of overindulging, eating pure crap and using food as a coping mechanism.

We have to make a new normal. And if this is it, so be it. I can attest that this method, while more structured that what I was doing, definitely works for maintenance.

~Cheri[/quote']

So true...

Swizzly,

They changed the notification process a while ago. The new way is sucky and kind of confusing (sorry ken)

I would first unsubscribe, then subscribe again and click "immediate" on the notification choices :)

Georgia!

You are like the 5:2 queen! My weight is bouncing around a bit the last couple of days so I know today I will be up...

I went back to exercising yesterday doing the c25k on the treadmill and I always seem to be up after running...

Georgia! You are a testament to the 5:2 and single pointed concentration! It almost appears like a miracle the way you are losing after all the stalls and creeping gains! Nothing like some success in methods to make you want to stick to a plan.

Starting my week 5, down 6 pounds.

I am glad 5:2 is working out for everyone. Thanks for being the guinea pigs. :)

So here I am at the end of fasting Monday...564 cals, not bad huh? It was 516 but then I had to have a wee Peanut Butter spoon or DIE INSTANTLY. :D But now I'm going to bed early so I don't have to think about how X would taste so good right about now...

Thanks for the hint on the new notification settings -- I did have to unsubscribe and resubscribe with the 'instant' notification, so let's see if that works!

Tuesday...normal eating day...hope I find something good to eat. ;)

ETA: Starting week five having really not lost anything yet, but bounced ALL over the place, so let's see...holding out hope...

Good job at the calories! I love my spoons of Peanut Butter too :)

I bounced up a pound today not a big surprise! I tell you when that happens it doesn't make me like exercise anymore (honestly I kinda hate it)

This is the beginning of my 5th week also

My loss is fluctuating between 6 and 7 pounds!!

I'm pretty damn happy about that!

Georgia! You are a testament to the 5:2 and single pointed concentration! It almost appears like a miracle the way you are losing after all the stalls and creeping gains! Nothing like some success in methods to make you want to stick to a plan.

Starting my week 5' date=' down 6 pounds.[/quote']

Whoo hoop!! And SIX down. And I believe you said your lowest in a while!

Thanks, Laura!!!

I am glad 5:2 is working out for everyone. Thanks for being the guinea pigs. :)

Ha! Yep, always a "pig" in the mix! Just kidding.

Good job at the calories! I love my spoons of Peanut Butter too :)

I bounced up a pound today not a big surprise! I tell you when that happens it doesn't make me like exercise anymore (honestly I kinda hate it)

This is the beginning of my 5th week also

My loss is fluctuating between 6 and 7 pounds!!

I'm pretty damn happy about that!

YaYa, Laura!!!!!