Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Butterflies and Rainbows with our American Drs.

I thought this was an appropriate name for a new thread!!! Seems like we keep hearing again and again about all the doctor's south of the border. Never a bad word, never a leak, never a complaint, not one. Never, never, never. I don't know if people who have had something go wrong are paid NOT post it, are they scared to or if they just kick the bucket and we're never the wiser. Who knows.....I am here to tell you that after reading those "scripts", I feel cheated, jipped, screwed out of a "butterfly and rainbow" experience. I landed at DFW airport from out of state. Nobody from my un-named doctor's office picked me up. Nobody delivered me to the hospital the next morning and nobody, but NOBODY put a chocolate chip cookie on my pillow. Oh wait, that is The Doubletree that does that, wrong board. He insisted that I stick around for two weeks. I had to show up for a one week visit, then a two week visit before I could go back home. How dare he, what was he thinking???? Like I said, cheated, cheated, jipped. Said doctor is un-named to protect the innocent from my "in jest" post. If he wants me to go on and on about him, I DO need a script and a little incentive! ;)

NtvTxn, I am sure that Dr. Davidson's staff will not mind if you explain that while no one picked you up, dropped you off, took you for a shopping trip, or fed you the best beef broth of your life, you still had an amazing experience, and would recommend them to many people. I don't know of any Mexico sleevers who are paid for their raves and endorsements. I certainly didn't get paid! I rave though, because I want other people to know that there is a more cost effective alternative to medicine within the US. I was terrified, what was I doing going across the border to a coutry that kidnaps Americans, has a huge drug problem, where drug cartels kill you just for being an American...I was paying $4,750 dollars for a procedure that would cost upwards of 20k here in the states...and I was TRUSTING THEM?!?! Lol. Yes, I thought I was crazy, too!! I rave about going to Mexico because it's surprising, and not scary at all, and if you are in desperate need to save your life (I do feel this is a life saving procedure), then people should know what to expect and not be afraid. There are stats and stories of bad times, and surgeries gone wrong, and leaks and fear after coming back, you just have to dig for them. There are however less complications in general, because the Mexico Dr.s do hundreds if not thousands more sleeve surgeries than their American counterparts. Practice makes perfect? I do agree though, I wish more of you US sleevers, self pay or otherwise would rave about your experiences. While it may not be as sunny or filled with adventure where you get your surgery done, if they did a great job and are happy, scream it from the rooftops!! :) Congrats on getting sleeved, even if you didn't get a Mexican Vacation out of the deal ;)

This post seems so petty. Why do you feel the need to be so glib about the positive experiences people have had with their Mexico based surgeons? WLS provides the perfect recipe for Medical Tourism thanks to insurance companies being so unwilling to get on board and pay for it. I'm sure there are some quack doctors down there but obviously some very good ones have set up shop across the border and designed an entire operation targeted at U.S. clientele. I see nothing wrong with that. They provide a service that is affordable to the average person but they must overcome the huge hurdle of fear that most Americans have of going to Mexico for surgery. It's clear that most of their American patients take a huge leap of faith in going there. And when they see how well it works out, they come here to tell their story so as to assure others it's not as scary as most of us believe. Without those Mexico based surgeons, many overweight people would not be able to have WLS and would continue to suffer with their obesity.

What.. No good drs in your country called Texas? What shame that you had to travel across the border into the lesser country called AMERICA!

I tried to stay out of the nonsense as much as possible, since I am here for support and not nastiness.

But I will say that I haven't seen a lot of support from you toward any other poster. I have only seen snide, rude comments. At first I was prone to defend you in the other posts that went on FAR too long about Mexico vs USA vs Texas. But this one was just totally uncalled for!

UGH!

NtvTxn, I am sure that Dr. Davidson's staff will not mind if you explain that while no one picked you up, dropped you off, took you for a shopping trip, or fed you the best beef broth of your life, you still had an amazing experience, and would recommend them to many people. I don't know of any Mexico sleevers who are paid for their raves and endorsements. I certainly didn't get paid! I rave though, because I want other people to know that there is a more cost effective alternative to medicine within the US. I was terrified, what was I doing going across the border to a coutry that kidnaps Americans, has a huge drug problem, where drug cartels kill you just for being an American...I was paying $4,750 dollars for a procedure that would cost upwards of 20k here in the states...and I was TRUSTING THEM?!?! Lol. Yes, I thought I was crazy, too!! I rave about going to Mexico because it's surprising, and not scary at all, and if you are in desperate need to save your life (I do feel this is a life saving procedure), then people should know what to expect and not be afraid. There are stats and stories of bad times, and surgeries gone wrong, and leaks and fear after coming back, you just have to dig for them. There are however less complications in general, because the Mexico Dr.s do hundreds if not thousands more sleeve surgeries than their American counterparts. Practice makes perfect? I do agree though, I wish more of you US sleevers, self pay or otherwise would rave about your experiences. While it may not be as sunny or filled with adventure where you get your surgery done, if they did a great job and are happy, scream it from the rooftops!! :) Congrats on getting sleeved, even if you didn't get a Mexican Vacation out of the deal ;)

Amazing. That is not the word I would use. I guess it was as "OK" as it could be when you're being put under and wake up with five little incisions and 85% of your stomach hanging out in pathology. Scream it from the roof tops? Not really, but I do like going to support groups, I attend four a month. The only time I talk about Dr. D is if someone asks who I used. I paid 12,500 and included all the pre and post op appointments for the first year, for a little discount and I'd have said whatever they want, I suppose. A Mexico vacation, had one of those, Riviera Maya, food wasn't very good except for Breakfast. I wasn't that impressed. I did spend week #2 post op in a beach house on the west end of Galveston Island. Sorry ol' doctor didn't pay for that. Didn't really want me riding 5 hours from Dallas, but I begged and promised to get out of the car and walk around once every hour. Again, I will not promote my doctor, I'm a walking/talking advertisement, but only if someone asks.

What.. No good drs in your country called Texas? What shame that you had to travel across the border into the lesser country called AMERICA!

Re-read. I came from WI to Dallas TX.

I thought this was an appropriate name for a new thread!!! Seems like we keep hearing again and again about all the doctor's south of the border. Never a bad word, never a leak, never a complaint, not one. Never, never, never. I don't know if people who have had something go wrong are paid NOT post it, are they scared to or if they just kick the bucket and we're never the wiser. Who knows.....I am here to tell you that after reading those "scripts", I feel cheated, jipped, screwed out of a "butterfly and rainbow" experience. I landed at DFW airport from out of state. Nobody from my un-named doctor's office picked me up. Nobody delivered me to the hospital the next morning and nobody, but NOBODY put a chocolate chip cookie on my pillow. Oh wait, that is The Doubletree that does that, wrong board. He insisted that I stick around for two weeks. I had to show up for a one week visit, then a two week visit before I could go back home. How dare he, what was he thinking???? Like I said, cheated, cheated, jipped. Said doctor is un-named to protect the innocent from my "in jest" post. If he wants me to go on and on about him, I DO need a script and a little incentive! ;)

I am so confused?? Why is this even an issue?? If people want/need to go to Mexico then that is their personal decision. If they sing their praises then again, it's their right.

I'm not even sure why you would post this.

Re-read. I came from WI to Dallas TX.

Oops.. I guess I got caught with the fact I don't read all you have to say.

You know, I rarely post on here but I just have to say something. I think it's a little sad that you felt the need to make a post like this. I didn't have $13,000 or more to spend & my insurance doesn't happen to cover this procedure. I researched the heck out of going to MX and looked over hundreds of posts about people's experiences with their drs in MX. It really helped me to make my decision & to choose my doctor, especially when I was making such a big decision about not only having this surgery, but having it in a whole other country. Shame on you for trying to make people feel bad about sharing their experiences...

This seems to be an ongoing issue with this poster, because it is brought up by her over and over again.

If you don't want to read the posts of support people make, for their doctor, I don't understand why you do and then choose to make it an issue of it.

Oops.. I guess I got caught with the fact I don't read all you have to say.

I totally understand, I do the same thing. There's no telling what important stuff I get via email and push delete because they're too darn wordy!

This seems to be an ongoing issue with this poster, because it is brought up by her over and over again.

If you don't want to read the posts of support people make, for their doctor, I don't understand why you do and then choose to make it an issue of it.

I don't have an answer. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way some times. Maybe it's that time of the month, maybe it just needs to be questioned. If it's not a big deal, why are so many feathers ruffled? I am not the first to bring it up.