Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery in 2 weeks. Getting cold feet... Any reasons why I should cancel the whole thing?

Hello everyone,

I am scheduled for 06/11 in TJ, Mexico. I couldn't afford to spend $ 21 k to do it over here. I am going by myself, my husband cannot come with me. I am terrified. Keep wondering if this is a right choice. I keep thinking maybe I should diet on my own again. But I have done it before so many times... Lost 50, gained 40, lost 40, gained 50... I am 27 and am I afraid that I will regret this drastic change. Does it mean I will never be able to go to a restaurant and order a normal meal? How long will I be in pain? Will I be ok in Mexico all by myself? Every time I think about the whole thing I get nauseous, I can't sleep at night... I am 5'6 and 255 lbs so I have over 100 lbs to lose. I have a high blood pressure and extensive family history of diabetes and heart diseases. I have a one year old daughter that I love more than anything in this world, she is our miracle baby... I have no choice but to lose this weight. But is this the right way for me? How did you know? How were you sure? Oh, and I know this is stupid, but my worst fear is the surgery itself. What if something goes wrong? sick to my stomach...

Hey ProudMama. I am only 28 and have an 18 month old son. I started my journey at 240 lbs and have most of the same story as you! I had high blood pressure and family history of diabetes and heart disease. I almost cancelled my surgery because I was scared. I am just over 2 months out and so glad i made this decision. I go to a restaurant and order an entire meal but its more like 4+meals for me. i don't miss food like I thought I would. As far as pain everybody is different I had good pain meds for 4 days then switched to childrens tylenol. i have no opinions regarding the trip to Mexico as I did not make that journey. As far as if it's right for you, that is something you have to answer

You have a LOT of medical reasons to get rid of that 100+ pounds... but only you can decide about the surgery. Most of your questions otherwise are well documented on the board... You will eat differently later... but that "differently" might be more normal than what we do now!

My surgery is June 3 and I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about the surgery. I've found that a little bit of praying and a LOT of education have calmed me. I feel pretty well prepared for the coming days, but know that I'll go thru a period of "buyers remorse" during the first month after the surgery. When I see people eating things I once enjoyed and can't digest them yet because I'm not fully healed, I'm sure I'll miss food and wonder if I did the right thing. At 5'4" and 220lbs, my friends question why I'm doing this--but it's MY journey and I need the extra help from the sleeve to get me to where I want to be. I'm also hoping to get off of type II diabetes drugs, high blood pressure meds, and lower my cholesterol. I'm not excited about the pain I'm about to endure...instead, I look to the future of a smaller me!

As for the trip to Mexico....I'm having mine in the States so I can't speak to that either. Just remember that you won't be allowed to lift much after surgery...so pack light!

I sure wish I could get sleeved in 2 weeks, even if it is in Mexico! I have 6 months left before I can even think about applying through my insurance. I'm envious of you!!!

I'm having my surgery on June 11th as well and in Tijuana Mexico as well.. I'm pretty nervousness as well. But my mother in law will be coming with me and she is a RN so I feel better.. Your not alone so just remember there will be others there from the states, going through the same thing you will be going through.. I'm really nervous as well but I'm so excited!!

I, like you, have had doubts and wonder if I'm going to make it through doing this. I'm not telling a soul except my immediate family, as I feel like several people will judge me. I'm trying to figure out how I will disguise all the pain I will be in right after the surgery. My mom is flying out to be with my kids so that my hubby can be with me. He was not happy about me doing this but after watching me for the last year, he's decided that this is a good decisioin. I'm a self pay also, but will not be going to Mexico. To be honest, I'm just trying to go with the flow and think of this as a ride that will be scarey!! I've never had surgery so the thought of being put to sleep scares me to death. I am up all hours of the night thinking about it. I haven't gotten my surgery date but my doctor's surgery coordinator thinks it will be mid June. She will firm it up on June 4th, when I go in for one final visit to see the surgeon. I'm really going to be leaning on this website for support and I'm sure you will be doing the same.

I, like you, have had doubts and wonder if I'm going to make it through doing this. I'm not telling a soul except my immediate family, as I feel like several people will judge me. I'm trying to figure out how I will disguise all the pain I will be in right after the surgery. My mom is flying out to be with my kids so that my hubby can be with me. He was not happy about me doing this but after watching me for the last year, he's decided that this is a good decisioin. I'm a self pay also, but will not be going to Mexico. To be honest, I'm just trying to go with the flow and think of this as a ride that will be scarey!! I've never had surgery so the thought of being put to sleep scares me to death. I am up all hours of the night thinking about it. I haven't gotten my surgery date but my doctor's surgery coordinator thinks it will be mid June. She will firm it up on June 4th, when I go in for one final visit to see the surgeon. I'm really going to be leaning on this website for support and I'm sure you will be doing the same.

I feel like we are in the same boat... I havent told anyone except my husband and I will be going by myself...

I'm having my surgery on June 11th as well and in Tijuana Mexico as well.. I'm pretty nervousness as well. But my mother in law will be coming with me and she is a RN so I feel better.. Your not alone so just remember there will be others there from the states, going through the same thing you will be going through.. I'm really nervous as well but I'm so excited!!

Where in TJ? Who is your surgeon?

I'm having my surgery at Jerusalem hospital and my Dr will be Mario Almanza