Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your motivation

I am interested to hear what motivated you to finally get the band. Was it a "llow moment", maybe someone else inspired you?

Also, what motivates you on a regular basis to strive for success with the band.

I think the "breaking point" came for me when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. To me, that was really a big wake up call. For close to a year I was having pain in my feet when I woke up in the a.m. Also, my hips were starting to ache while in bed. but the final straw was the apnea.

My daughters keep me motivated every day I have three small girls and really want to set a good example for them and break the cycle of poor eating habits in my family. Also, I want them to be proud of their mom and not embarassed by me.

Thats my story, love to hear yours!

I am interested to hear what motivated you to finally get the band. Was it a "llow moment", maybe someone else inspired you?

Also, what motivates you on a regular basis to strive for success with the band.

My "last straw" moment was in May, on vacation for a family wedding in Hawaii. We went snorkeling, and we parked near an area that had washed out, creating a small bluff, maybe 4' or so, that we had to climb down and then back up. Getting down was OK, but getting me back up took me, DH and an uncle, and it was mortifying. The next day, we were walking up the stairs to the condo, DH looked at me and said "I want you to get the surgery" and I agreed. I had been wanting it, but our insurance doesn't cover it, and I didn't think we could pay for two of them. But we figured it out and it's so far the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Mine is one that no one speaks of but I know that most of us experience. The day that broke me was when I was forced to use a public washroom with a very very tight stall. I couldn't part my legs far enough apart to get enough leverage to reach back to properly wipe myself. I was so ashamed and depressed....I just sat there crying feeling so disgusted with myself.

I had seen the commercial for the band on TV a few times but figured that it would take forever to get a surgery date and just pooh poohed the idea until that day.....as soon as I got home I made the phone call for my consultation...there was never a question in my mind that I would do this. I have been faithful to all the lapband rules for pre and post op dieting, I have lost consistently and I will reach goal and stay there. I will never, never go back to that life again.

Carol

It was middle age and potential health issues staring me in the face. The biggest things I've enjoyed about my sucess with banding have been vanity, but really, I suddenly hit 38, my weight was just starting to get on top of me and I was even starting to get depressed, I really began to worry about what the rest of my life was going to be like. Frumpy and forty and out of shape did NOT appeal to me.

Now of course I'm fairly bursting out of my skin with health and energy!

I had to walk around a college campus at a week long conference and it just about killed me! This was the final straw. I called my husband crying on the second day and that was it for me.

No regrets.

This thread has motivated me more I think, than the before and after pics. It makes me remember. And since it wasn't that long ago I think I can. I felt terrible. I have a very active, stressful job that requires energy, optimism, and enthusiasm. It was becoming more and more difficult to perform. I have 6 grandchildren and we were planning a trip to Washington, D.C. and I knew I couldn't keep up. I so wanted to play with the kids. I had tried every diet known to man and a few I made up myself. I was discouraged, defeated, depressed. Then a lady came into my office to apply for a job. She had lost a lot of weight with the lap band and she was (hard to believe this one) older than me! I started investigating, found you guys and the rest is history. I have lost 30 lbs (recently gained 3 back) but am ready to go at it again with renewed vigor. Thanks to you all. I don't post a lot, but you guys make my life better. Katt

After seeing yet another fat photo of myself and unable to lose a pound after six months of really trying with slimfast and exercise, I decided I was gonna get the band. I figured it was my only hope with thyroid disease. Tomorrow is my four month bandivesary and have lost 25 pounds. It is slow but I am not complaining. After years of struggling, I have finally found something that works.

I still have not told my kids or parents about it though. No one has really mentioned the weight loss since I have a history of fluctuation anyway. When, and if, they do ask, I will simply say "diet and exercise". It's the truth!

PatU

My motivation is getting my PCP's blessing for pregnancy. I have a physical later in January and I'm eager to get her feedback, even though it will be at least March before we try anything.

And all the other things that come with weightloss. Let's see...

I'm on my 4th wardrobe. About every 2 sizes I completely abandon most of my clothes & bring in all new, keeping just a few favorites, but only if they don't hang. The purchasing isn't the reward, it's being able to look at something, think . o O ( that looks small ), and then have it fit. Then I have to buy it, it's like an obligation.

Now the material rewards...

I wasn't sure my insurance company would approve me because I did not have comorbidities, so DH and I had kind of assumed we'd be paying out of pocket. Well, insurance approved no questions asked, so I told him that since we weren't writing a check for $17,000 - instead he would take me to http://www.turtlefiji.com/rates.php when I reached goal. $17,000 will buy us a full week and I CAN'T wait. Of course, it will also buy a lot of plastic surgery... but if I lose 200 lbs, I'm going to have both. :P

And DH also knows that when I reach goal, and maintain it long enough that I'm confident I'm at the size I will be in for a while, it's a full wardrobe, no questions asked, no comments about the amount I spend, nothing. He understands that, that one time, his job is to run bags out to the car and nothing else. I'm thinking Mall of America. Not only do they have great stores, but there is no sales tax on clothing. And with as much as I'll be spending, that could be significant.

Losingjusme...she's adorable!

Wheetsin, I love your shopping trip idea. Can I go??!!

For me, one motivating factor was watching my mother-in-law gradually kill herself with obesity. The last couple of years she could barely walk, and fell often. When she fell, she would have to get help because she couldn't get up off the floor by herself. One time she fell and hurt her knee. It wasn't that bad of an injury, but infection set in, and it was downhill for her from that point. She couldn't live on her own anymore, because it would mean hiring two aides since one couldn't get her out of bed. Sad, sad, sad.

Then, the most recent kicker for me was going boating with some friends last summer. It was hot, so we all jumped in the lake to swim. Then, uh, oh, I realized that unless I wanted to swim the 5 miles to the marina, I'd have to somehow get back in the boat! I was mortified (and bruised) as it took 3 people, including my daughter's buff and handsome teen friend to roll me onto the platform at the back of the boat. Ugghh.

So, this summer, I won't have to worry about getting in and out of the boat, and I *might* even try skiing (as my loose skin flaps in the breeze!) :biggrin1:

Tami

Last Feb., my older (and only) sister and her husband told us that they were pregnant. I have always wanted to loose the wieght, but the thought of not being able to keep up with my niece, or possibly not being there as long as possible due to weight complications in the future. That was my final motivational factor. Now my beautiful niece is 4.5 months old and I'm 74lbs lighter, and I know by the time she's walking, I'll be right there every step of the way...without getting short of breath!

My motivation was seeing an episode of Montel Williams where mohammad ali's daughter spoke about having lapband and losing 100+ pounds while I sat at the bedside of my dying mother who was only 49. Seeing her die of ovarian cancer was a wake up call to me. Also I want to have children and I'm not getting any younger. Having babies at 398 pounds is not safe! Plus I wasn't even ovulating. I hope in a year me and hubby can start trying! Until then we'll just practice, which is becoming more and more fun the more I lose! :)

My final motivation was the last 30 pounds. In the last year I went from 320 to 350. At 350 I was no longer within striking distance of the 200s. I could no longer convince myself that I was going to turn it around. I realized that I was basically out of control, that "diet and exercise" were never going to do it for me, and if I didn't find another answer soon I was going to die. Once I fully understood that in my heart I immediatly made the decision to do the band. I found this site the next day.

Sometimes in the last couple months I've had this image of myself as out in the middle of the ocean getting tired and in danger of drowning. I could see the rescue ship on the way (the lap band), and I have just been hoping that I could hang on until the ship arrived. I feel like I'm going to make it, but without a lot of room to spare.

I'm just sick of being obese. I was able to lose 40 lbs on my own from 320 to 282 before surgery. This has been so freeing. I've never been able to lose weight without hunger before. The lapband has set me free. I'm down 34 lbs since June. I'm considered a slow loser. Although my doctor says I am average at 1 lb a week. I still an thrilled to have my lapband. 6 more lbs and I'm 1/2 way to goal. Happy Holidays

Realizing the 30 more lbs would put me at 300 and I had 2 small boys. Got band when my baby was 6 months old and I weighed 242. Today I'm at 170 and single with 3 small boys and thank the Lord above that I did it for me and my future.

Ana