Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Both my aunt and my father waited too long on gall bladder surgery and ended up with ruptured gall bladders. The recovery was much more dangerous, longer and painful than mine was. I scheduled laparascopic surgery as soon as possible after my trip to the ER - and it was outpatient. For the relatives I mentioned, they were hospitalized for 4 and 6 days, respectively, and had open surgery instead of laparascopic.

Good job firing your PCP!

My PCP just didn't care either way. This thread has got me thinking about changing my PCP. She did not seem to know much about sleeve surgery, but she didn't care either; did not ask one question about it. I've been going to her for eight years just because she is close to my office – how absurd!

It's amazing how specialized medicine has become, most general doctors just have no clue. The weird thing I am noticing is that my surgeon wants me to see my primary again before surgery, it's on their to do list. I don't see why, she didn't refer me, doesn't support it and frankly doesn't care. When I asked them for my weight history over the past two years, they just scribbled it on my request letter. Really professional!

Seriously - I may excuse my Dr. for not knowing alot about this surgery. The office just changed over to EMR, he's one of the few General Practitioners in my area, and I have built a relationship with him. I told him I did all the research and felt that this surgery was the way to go. He agreed to take care of me after the surgery, or if anything went wrong. He then referred me to a NUT - so if I have any nutrition concerns, i'll have someone to ask. So I think I can forgive him for not knowing all the details.

I took my primary my Dr s book so.she could become educated about the gastric sleeve it was well recieved and she thought he was cute Dr alvarezs gastric.sleeve is an easy read and it might help your doc become educated! It's on amazon.!

My previous PCP was the same way. She tried to scare me off with stories of how she had patients who had WLS and now have brain damage or something because of Vitamin deficiencies. I called my insurer the same day and got a new PCP.

I used my GYN for support, he was excellent. My PCP, while excellent, would not have been supportive since my BMI was barely 35. 6 months and 55 pounds down, I am comfortable explaining my decision!

my pcp acts totally oblivious as to the letter of medical necessity/recommendation--- I gave him the paperwork (sample letter and details to add to it) but

I'm not sure they even kept it in my chart, same with the weight documentation log-- it's going to be like pulling teeth getting both those things to my bariatric surgeon, I do already have a date though!

Hi All! AnnMarie1957, my surgery is July 18th as well (in Atlanta). I'm very excited. About the letter of medical necessity, I wrote the letter for my doctor, printed it on white paper, and hand delivered it to her office. I asked her to just copy it onto her letterhead, sign it, and return it to me in the enclosed stamped envelope. I included all my conditions, dates for conditions, everythihg. She was NOT helpful or supportive but I had to have that dang letter.

Sorry your PCP is oblivious. My husband was sleeved in June. Our PCP was great about taking care if the 6 months of records our insurance company required. Scheduled us in the same appointment time so we didn't have 2 co-pays just for weigh-ins.