Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food is kinda gross when I slow down to actually taste it

Lately I've really been trying to eat slower, take much smaller bites and really chew my food before swallowing, as opposed to my usual consume-it-as-fast-as-I-can-shove-it-in-my-mouth technique when eating. I'm noticing that the things I eat are actually kind of gross tasting when I actually take the time to TASTE them. Wish I would have slowed down earlier in life and actually tasted things...maybe I wouldn't be being on the road to being sleeved :)

Eating small and slow will be my biggest challenge!

Believe me, after surgery, eating small will only be a challenge until you start feeling the restriction. It will stop you in your tracks! But eating slow is an entirely separate thing altogether. I still struggle with that, and I'm more than 1 yr post-op!

The most important reason to do the slow eating (other than to give yourself more enjoying and satisfaction with your meals) is to catch yourself before you overeat. As we have no "reserve" capacity in our stomach, and no stretch receptors to signal to our brain that we are full, going over even by a bite or two can mean "slimies", discomfort and sometime even vomitting.

I've been lucky, as I started out measuring my food from the beginning so I wouldn't "eyeball" my quantities and overeat. My brain was always telling me what I had measured out to eat wasn't enough. But once I started eating it, I realized it was enough and sometimes even too much, even though the weight was within my food plan guidelines!

After decades of "eating to capacity" and living in a "super-size me" culture, it's hard to retrain your brain. That's where the "tool" of the VSG comes in to save the day (and your life).

:)

I agree.

Wait till you have to eat slow and your not even hungry. Its almost irritating to eat now. I only eat a few foods because I truly dislike eating. I love cottage cheese and blackberries right now. I would rather drink all day than eat anything. First off I have zero desire to eat and second its takes so long ot eat a meal and I get antsy. LOL

I loved the liquid stage of my post op. I go back to that often.

Lately I've really been trying to eat slower, take much smaller bites and really chew my food before swallowing, as opposed to my usual consume-it-as-fast-as-I-can-shove-it-in-my-mouth technique when eating. I'm noticing that the things I eat are actually kind of gross tasting when I actually take the time to TASTE them. Wish I would have slowed down earlier in life and actually tasted things...maybe I wouldn't be being on the road to being sleeved :)

My food started tasting gross after surgery. When I went to Clear liquids, the juices, even at half strength tasted too strong. Most food now does, unless I cook it myself, which means eliminating salts, sugars, grease, etc. I am now enjoying natural foods, I guess it's goo that I no longer like real sweet and salty, or greasy. I never knew whole natural foods could have so much flavor. We cover up so much of our foods great taste with additives. You'll find a new food adventure ahead when you have your surgery. Looks like you were going through the same 6 month prep as I did.

Still, even though I don't have to, at least one meal is a Liquid Protein shake a day. It's just easy to digest.

I agree.

Wait till you have to eat slow and your not even hungry. Its almost irritating to eat now. I only eat a few foods because I truly dislike eating. I love cottage cheese and blackberries right now. I would rather drink all day than eat anything. First off I have zero desire to eat and second its takes so long ot eat a meal and I get antsy. LOL

I loved the liquid stage of my post op. I go back to that often.

I do a lot of liquids and soft food too. Lots easier to digest. BTW, I can't wait for June, I will have a bumper crop of blackberries. Grow em, eat em right off the vines.!

Believe me, after surgery, eating small will only be a challenge until you start feeling the restriction. It will stop you in your tracks! But eating slow is an entirely separate thing altogether. I still struggle with that, and I'm more than 1 yr post-op!...

After decades of "eating to capacity" and living in a "super-size me" culture, it's hard to retrain your brain. That's where the "tool" of the VSG comes in to save the day (and your life).

:)

I know about the retrain the brain. I stated a month ago, the biggest thing, is we had surgery on our stomachs, but not our eyes and brain, they still see and calculate the same. As for being stopped in your tracks, you hit that on the head. As soon as I feel the smallest pressure I stop. One more bite, and it want to revisit. My husband the other day wanted me to try some of his food, and I was already full. He said oh, try one bite...I said I had to wait about 3 or 4 hours before my stomach would let me. He was astounded by the fact that 2 months out, I can still only eat 2 ounces...what did he think, it would grow right back to original size. His brain and eyes see things the way ours did. You are right, we are truly retraining our brains and eyes.

I looked at this surgery as my insurance policy for weight loss. I am now physically incapable of over-eating.