Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mirena IUD vs. Birth control pills

Hello my curvaceous ladies! So I have a question and would like to get some feed back! Currently, Im pre op VSG and Im hoping on having it in june/july. I am taking the pill and I have to be off of it a month prior to surgery and a month after surgery so I dont form a blood clot because of surgery. My fear is that when I get back on the evil pill I will gain weight..UHG. I have PCOS as some of you may know and my girly parts are bi polar and coo coo for coco puffs! With out the pill I may not even have a period or Ill have 2 in the month, HORRIBLE migranes etc, Its bad! Kinda my number one reason to get this surgery to hopefully get my PCOS to go away or at least improve. Now what Im really getting at is how do you guys feel about the IUD? i HEARD ITS KILLER GETTING INSERTED if you havent had kids ( ouch thats me) so im not looking forward to that, but do you guys think I should get it? Should I continue to lose weight after surgery and then get it once I think my periods are getting normal? Does an IUD put out hormones, do you technically still have your period each month? do you gain weight with it like the EVIL DEPO shot ( worst decision of my life lol) and the pill? whats some pro's and con's that you ladies like about it? Thanks gals! and feel free to add anything about the two (iud vs pill) in regards to after vsg surgery that i havent mentioned. Would love all the feedback I can get before I really make a decision! <3

I had the IUD previously and loved it! I had been on birth control for way too many years and that IUD was awesome. No worry whether you remembered your pill or not. I had it in for about 3 years and never had an issue with mine. I honestly didn't think it was that bad going in but I had already had my son before that. Personally, I would not to the Depo or Birth Control again because they make me super-psycho. I had a copper IUD, it was inserted in 1998 so this was quite some time ago. I haven't heard anything bad about the Mirena or new-gen IUD's. I had no issues with the monthly cycles other than my usual difficulties. I always recommend the IUD when I get the chance.

Thanks girl! isnt your surgery in a few hours? I thought I read that, if so GOOD LUCK!!

NEVERMIND lol you commented on someones forum post who is..just kidding!

I have PCOS and the Mirena IUD. I ain't gonna lie...that thing hurt like a mug being inserted. I had residual cramping from it for a few months. It provides a direct and local hormone. So it should not have the same effects of bc pills or depo. I was the fortunate one to enjoy the side effects of the pill with blood clots. Depo is for the birds! It did nada for me. Everyone is different and the best advice would be to discuss it with your gyno. I would loop him or her into your plans as well.

Mirena is awesome. If you don't have PCOS you could consider the Paragard too. You do get some cramps when it is inserted (like small contractions). Take the day off work and use a heating pad and Aleve.

I've had my Mirena for 8 years. It didn't hurt going in but it did a little coming out when it was changed. Love it. I have little to to periods. My massive cramping is gone and my skin is clear. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'm on my 2nd Mirena. I love it. I have no periods for the most part and I never have to give it a second thought. In my experience it didn't hurt being inserted or removed. Maybe a few cramps right after it went in but nothing to worry about. In my experience it is the greatest invention ever.

I have Mirena... I got it inserted about 2 1/2 years after my son was born... The insert hurt a little and my OBGYN said something along the lines of "Man that insert was like someone who hasn't had a baby!" The cramping was tolerable and way worth it! I love the freedom of not having to remember a pill! I talked my sister in law into getting it as well. My brother got stationed in Japan for the next 2 years (he is a sharp shooter instructor in the Marine Corps) so she wanted to make sure she had no babies until they came home! She LOVEs it as well! She said the insert and cramps weren't that bad and she never had a baby before...

I have mirena and love it..unlike depo which I had before, the hormones are centralized so it shouldnt have many side effects.

I had Mirena and it was awful. The side effects were not worth it. It did its job as far as pregnancy prevention but totally whacked out my hormones. I started having problems with anxiety and it may have contributed to my losing my vision in my right eye. Optic Neuritis. I recovered most of my vision but not all.

I had to have it removed under sedation because they couldn't find it and now my periods are horrendous. Painful and heavy.

I'm not a fan and would never recommend it. I do know many use it and love it, but I am not a member of that club.

I hope that whatever direction you go in is smooth and works well, minus side effects and complications.

I have Mirena... I got it inserted about 2 1/2 years after my son was born... The insert hurt a little and my OBGYN said something along the lines of "Man that insert was like someone who hasn't had a baby!" The cramping was tolerable and way worth it! I love the freedom of not having to remember a pill! I talked my sister in law into getting it as well. My brother got stationed in Japan for the next 2 years (he is a sharp shooter instructor in the Marine Corps) so she wanted to make sure she had no babies until they came home! She LOVEs it as well! She said the insert and cramps weren't that bad and she never had a baby before...

They can give you something to relax you down there for the insertion. ..I found out about this after the insertion

Thanks girls for all your input so far you guys are talking great things about it but now I have that negative feedback comment stuck in my head of what happened to that poor girl:( hope that wouldn't be the case with me :-/

I had Mirena for 3 years after having my son and the insertion was uncomfortable but nothing awful. I had no issues while it was in and my periods were so pathetic that a panty liner was all that was needed. However, when i had it removed was when i found out the problem. The removal was super easy, takes like 2 seconds. Hubby and i were trying for another baby, well after a year of trying with no results i went to see the doc. They did tests, they did say i barely qualify as having PCOS but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that i had nearly no uterine lining. Now this is one of the ways Mirena works, is by thinning out the lining so if by chance a fertilized egg does get past it's other defenses, you don't get prego. Well, in some people it can take a very long time for that lining to build back up. It took my body 2 years to get back to "normal", and the OBGYN did tell me that that is an issue with Mirena, but they didn't tell me about that before i got it when i was talking about it with them. i never had any issues with my period pre Mirena.

On the other hand my doc sis tell me that they have been finding that BC pills are not as effective after WLS. They aren't sure why with the sleeve, as absorption isn't really the issue. So that is my experience with it, a friend of mine also had teh same thing happen to her and she is pretty skinny. Weight the pros and cons, and i hope whatever you decide works beautifully for you!!

I don't know if you're planning for children or not but a good friend of mine suffered miscarriages after Mirena and was only able to sustain her last pregnancy with hormone therapy due to Mirena.

Maybe research the side effects outside of here?

I was both relieved and scared when I was able to find a source for my problems.

Good luck to you.