Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mirena IUD vs. Birth control pills

Hi! I had the mirena inserted in Feb. I've had two children and it was the WORST pain of my life. My uterus is tipped and I have a tiny cervix. Anyhow, it's been almost three months and I'm just getting to the point where I don't regret my decision. I cramped consistently for the first month. The second month, I'd get strong cramps out of no where and start a mini period. I wore feminine protection for almost two months. The consistent spotting is putting a damper on things in the bedroom. But like I said things are getting better slowly. I started having acne on my face and a little on my chest within less than a week after insertion. I'm not having any more children and I've already had a tubal. I chose the mirena because of other issues (horrendous periods,etc). I've had two friends that had the mirena and they loved it, but they too have had miscarriages and have not yet been able to carry a full term pregnancy.

Definitely do ur research and make a list of questions for the gyno. Best of luck!

Yeah I'm totally not getting it . Too many stories about not being able to have babies afterwards :-/ yikes! Thanks for everyone's advice though!

Small world! I was sleeved by Dr. Kole two weeks ago. :) I have had para guard since I was 20 (about 5 years) and let me tell you what, I regretted the heck outta that thing for three years! My periods went from normal 4-5 days of light to medium to needing ultra supreme gi-normous tampons every hour WITH a pad to match! And the pain.....holy.....I was doubled over (no kids here!) for two days. Now I'm finally getting used to it.....not as much cramping and the periods are only horrid every other time. Now that the worst is over I'm semi happy with it (no hormones or monthly costs) but if you think I'm not scared as heck to get it out, guess again. :)

If I were you I'd check into the implant....

Yeah like I said I'm totally not getting it lol too many side effects from what I've heard yikes!

Yeah like I said I'm totally not getting it lol too many side effects from what I've heard yikes!

Mirena has one of the lowest side effect rates of all birth controls

I have PCOS and the Mirena IUD. I ain't gonna lie...that thing hurt like a mug being inserted. I had residual cramping from it for a few months. It provides a direct and local hormone. So it should not have the same effects of bc pills or depo. I was the fortunate one to enjoy the side effects of the pill with blood clots. Depo is for the birds! It did nada for me. Everyone is different and the best advice would be to discuss it with your gyno. I would loop him or her into your plans as well.

My doctor would not allow me to get a IUD after I got a blood clot in my toe. That IUD's still have hormones and once you get one blood clot than you're predisposed for them. This upset me because I really wanted the Mirena. I hated taking the pill. Now that I know someone else I got a IUD after having a blood cloth I will get the Mirena outside my doc office. I will of course tell the nurse or doc about my history with blood clots but this give me so much hope!

My doctor would not allow me to get a IUD after I got a blood clot in my toe. That IUD's still have hormones and once you get one blood clot than you're predisposed for them. This upset me because I really wanted the Mirena. I hated taking the pill. Now that I know someone else I got a IUD after having a blood cloth I will get the Mirena outside my doc office. I will of course tell the nurse or doc about my history with blood clots but this give me so much hope!

Please consider Paraguard, which is hormone free. I watched my little sister have a stroke at 18 from birth control, with no prior complications. It's something I wouldn't want to see anyone go through, especially if its preventable.

Please consider Paraguard, which is hormone free. I watched my little sister have a stroke at 18 from birth control, with no prior complications. It's something I wouldn't want to see anyone go through, especially if its preventable.

Sorry that happen to your sisters. I've seen info on it but never read too much on it. I'll make sure to ask about the paraguard. Thanks for the advice.

Go for the IUD!! Don't have to remember to take it and lasts 5 yrs if u want! Good luck

I'm anti-iud, every one close and not so close to me have had really horrible side effects.

I think the pills are super unreliable, but implanon(the implant) I haven't heard many negative things about it besides soreness after insertation and removal. And the patch

The BC that I absolutely love is the NuvaRing. It's what I have been using since I was 15, due to possibly having pcos. I've had weight gain, but it was due to my thyroid and thyroid treatment. You put it in for 3 weeks and take it out for one week. Two weeks ago I had to take mine out but I bled for 8 days straight. Made me remember how it was when I was younger. Because my usual bleeding cycle is now two days when I use the ring.

I'm NOT doing the IUD at all.. Heard too many horror stories about people not being able to Conceive after it comes out... My fiend just got the birth control that is in settled under your skin in your arm and is good for 3 years... I might look into that.. Heard bc pills are less effective after getting sleeved maybe that would be a better option? I think it was called nexplannon or something along those lines

I'm NOT doing the IUD at all.. Heard too many horror stories about people not being able to Conceive after it comes out... My fiend just got the birth control that is in settled under your skin in your arm and is good for 3 years... I might look into that.. Heard bc pills are less effective after getting sleeved maybe that would be a better option? I think it was called nexplannon or something along those lines

Its called implanon lol

Mirena was a nightmare for me. It hurt like a ***** to get inserted, so bad I couldn't drive myself home. After my cramps were worse, my periods heavier, I started growing facial hair and an hour after shaving my legs I had stubble. But worst of all, I got pregnant. The Mirena messed up my test in the ER and the doctors said I had a miscarriage after just a few weeks. That was rough, but realizing they were wrong and delivering a fetus that had lived months after that and passed away inside me was the worst. I dialed 911 with my toes while I was sitting in the bathroom doubled over in pain.

I'm on micronor now (no estrogen pill) and no periods! Also, the no estrogen option increases the chance of keeping your hair. :)