Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IS ANYONE EMBARRASSED TO TELL PEOPLE YOU ARE HAVING THE SURGERY? I WORK WITH A LOT OF PEOPLE AND HAVEN'T TOLD ANYONE. I HAVEN'T EVEN TOLD ALL MY SISTERS OR MY BEST FRIEND. I GUESS I'M A LITTLE EMBARRASSED AND ALSO DONT WANT EVERYONES OPINION OF WHETHER I SHOULD DO IT OR NOT. I ALMOST FEEL LIKE IM HIDING THIS HUGE BAD SECRET.

I don't blame you. Their is a lot if prejudice towards overweight people. Know that you have a lot of us just like you and we support you!

I didn't tell anyone I work with. I only told my hubby and best friend. I didn't want the judgement, attitude or opinions of others who had no idea what it is like to be morbidly obese. I'm glad I didn't tell. When people ask, I tell them I am eating far less calories which are 90% Protein and exercising regularly. Both of which are 100% truthful.

I wasn't embarassed about the actual surgery, I was embarassed that I had let myself get to the point of needing surgery. I'm so glad I have my sleeve now.

Best of luck to you!

You don't need to tell people. If they ask how you are losing the weight just tell them you are making Lifestyle changes for better health.

I'm only planning on telling people I know who will support me in my decision.

Nope, I'm not EMBARASSED, ashamed nor do I lie to others. I just don't tell them.

I only told my mother and my husband (because I couldn't have done it without their help). I'm just not ready to come out of the pantry yet, and I may not!

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I work with many nutritionist and I know that I would get an ear full of why they think I shouldn't do it. Specially since I've already lost 30lbs on my own. I've heard the conversations they've had about other people that have had surgery. I don't want to be the talk of the work place. Plus everyone judges without knowing what its like. Thanks guys! This makes me feel so much better. Surgery date june 3rd! Can't wait! :)

Nope I live in a small town and most ppl have lived here their whole life w/o ever visiting the "big city" the news would spread like wildfire, then they would add on that the reason I had to get the sleeve was because I had an incurable venereal disease..that I got from...well you get the idea...nope my lips are sealed.

Nope' date=' I'm not EMBARASSED, ashamed nor do I lie to others. I just don't tell them.[/quote']

I agree! I'm not embarrassed or ashamed either. I do not lie about it. I do, however, choose to share my story.

If I didn't choose to share it I would not be deceptive but just point out, if someone wouldn't take a polite "pass", that its a personal/invasive question.

I work with a bunch of gossipy busy bodies. I didn't tell any of them. They just think I went to San Diego

My sister knew afterwards

My three best friends who are also lapband buddies knew beforehand and were excited

My husband and kids knew

That is it.

People by nature are judgmental, it is up to you about how much you want to share.

I'm glad to hear others feel the same. I am just in the initial stages of the process - just met the surgeon this week and am starting the 3 month long "multi-disciplinary program" my insurance requires. My surgery date is tentatively scheduled for October, which feels so far away right now.

I haven't told anyone yet, and I'm not sure I will. I mentioned to an acquantance that I was thinking about having the surgery, and she immediately said something like "you don't want to do that!". I think most people don't have any idea what it's like to have 100+ pounds to lose, and therefore, really don't understand. Pretty much all of my friends are thin. I wouldn't say that I'm embarassed or ashamed, but at this point in my journey, I don't want to hear remarks like that. I'm not even sure I will tell my family (at least not right away). I may have to ditch them on Thanksgiving this year, lol. But I may be more open to sharing after I have had the surgery...time will tell.

Oh, plus since I don't have insurance approval yet, I'm worried that something will happen and I won't be able to get the surgery...so I definitely don't want to tell anyone/everyone and then have to tell them it's not happening! :(

I've only told my parents, aunt, husband, and best friend. That's all I'm telling for now - at least until it's over. After the surgery, I may tell others. I haven't decided yet. :)

When people found out we had surgery we gave the answer " we're spending our kids inhearatance"

I'm curious about something.

Does it matter how other ppl feel about your WLS decision/journey?

I'm not embarrassed or ashamed...I'm so grateful there is something out there to help me, BUT it's no one's business. My husband & my best friend from out of state know. I also told my one neighbor who doesn't talk to the other neighbors because I may need help with my youngest (special needs) son. It's nobody's business. I haven't even told my teen son, I'm only going to tell him I'm having hernia surgery. As for anyone else, once they see a weight loss, then I will just say "better choices, after a month long of a medically supervised special liquid diet." That will be the truth as well, right? I just don't want to hear the negative comments. I think this is one of those personal decisions that you have to make for yourself. It's not a big bad secret, its just a personal decision which will have a positive outcome.