Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wanted to let everyone know how much I love this program. Just wanted to show what it's done for me!

post-37173-13813665702356_thumb.jpg

post-37173-13813665703065_thumb.jpg

post-37173-13813665703768_thumb.jpg

What is the cross fit program.

Go to Crossfit.com and they post a workout there each day. It's all about functional strength and lots of reps and muscular endurance.

Free tickets to the gun show!! You look great. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks for sharing.

Do you take classes or just online? I was thinking about doing the cross fit, but was told it's like military style training? So I am taking kettlebell classes right now instead..Will have to check it out online..You look great..

Do you take classes or just online? I was thinking about doing the cross fit' date=' but was told it's like military style training? So I am taking kettlebell classes right now instead..Will have to check it out online..You look great..[/quote']

I just do it in my garage based on the website. Thanks ladies ;)

What is the cross fit program.

I will try and provide some anecdotal experience around cross fit to answer your question.

In addition to this online approach to cross fit, there are usually 1-3 cross fit gyms in a local area. Usually these gyms will be open gym format and like to cater to military, police and fire departments. They are also open to anyone who is interested in a really challenging workout regimen.

Most cross fit gyms require all members to take a foundation class with a group or a PT set of sessions to become familiar with the exercises and equipment before participating in a group setting. This can be waived of course if you demonstrate proficiency from previous cross fitting. Usually this will cost about 100.

Typically, the cross fit routine involves a WOD (work out of the day) that is different every single day and is designed to push your individual athletic ability. You are side by side with a group of others doing the WOD going as hard and as fast as you can. It is intense and will challenge you because every time you personally strive to better your results.

Usually a monthly membership will cost about 120. My gym dues are 150 a month. Some gyms also let you pay per session, but this is usually more expensive.

When finished with a WOD you record it on the board and in a notebook so you can have a record of all your progressions. You are competing with yourself for more reps, faster time not with the others even though you will all be doing the same workout. You will be pushed to the extreme, heart rate soaring sweat flowing and sometimes a little blood (not seen myself). These workouts give you real results not to bulk up, but to become a high end athlete.

A workout of the day might involve Olympic lifts, squats, burpies, rope climbs, handstand pushups, 1 mile sprints, pull ups, push ups, etc. I think there are probably 100s of different exercises that are available to build billions of different WOD combinations.

For this reason, I wanted to become technically proficient with a PT before participating in an open gym with a group of others. That is just my decision because I am a relatively new lifter and want to prevent injury and also learn how to be successful in the WOD groups session.

I paid for 18 PT sessions up front ( about 700) and it is entirely worth it. I am learning so much plus I have a PT who is really challenging me on technique and on becoming stronger. She is great. There are a few WOD I have posted here on VST. For example, 2 mile sprint followed by heavy squats for 2 minutes, repeat 4 x.

Some guys are there 6 days a week. I think this is possible because most WOD are HIIT and not strictly lifting. However, I have seen some of these guys do a 1 rep of 500 lb Olympic lift and they are not body builders. Incredible! So I guess I am saying that the cross fit gym can be both for HIIT cardio and lifting outside of regular exercising.

Again, you (anyone) will really enjoy the challenges and results of cross fit. I hope you (everyone) decide to join. You will have a number of friends on VST that will share in your successes. So far, I think I have counted about 10 that have said they cross fit with 2-3 really involved in it. I am sure there are many more that have not posted heir cross fit experiences and results.

My results from cross fit are similar to Aarons, but not quite as far along. I hope to reach these types of results in about 4 months. You can be the judge at the end of the 4 months. :)

Speaking as someone who just joined instead of trained to join...no judgement here just my preference as I am more of a cannonball girl...it's totally doable. And yes there are days where you might get visited by pukie the clown or cry or ask yourself why you are putting yourself through this crazy crap. But then you finish your WOD. And you will be sore from the hairs on your head to the soles of your feet. But you will have worked your tail off and earned every drop of sweat, every gulp of air. The feeling is amazing.

You will either love it and drink the kool-aid or you will hate it and limp away. Either way is cool. It's not for everyone but everyone is welcome regardless. They will scale all exercises to you, straight up switch certain ones out if you are not ready for them. My goal is a non-mod pull up. And to RX an entire WOD. This means I want to do just a plain old pull up and I want to do a WOD with no modifications. That includes the warm up, WOD and Bonus. I'm usually drenched by the time I finish the warm-up.

It's an amazing workout, the lingo can be hilarious if you enjoy somewhat dirty humor (which I do). Call up a local box and see about an intro class. Trust me you will be sore from that alone. But it's worth it. I promise!

By the way I started going in mid March, had my gallbladder out 4/3/13 then was back at 15 days post op and been going 3-4 days a week since because of my work schedule. I would go more if I could. I'm lucky though. One of my trainers said he is usually there til 9pm every night so I can go after work possibly. So excited!!!!!!!!

Here are some pics of what we did today.

post-35488-13813665761555_thumb.jpg

post-35488-13813665762304_thumb.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for posting your experiences. I totally agree with your opinions ^^^^^^^^^.

I am sorry to hear about your gall bladder surgery. There seem to be quite a few VST women (not so many men) that have required it to be removed. It is great that your recovery went so fast. That is super impressive. They probably want you to still take it easy though. Right? Cross fit, as you are aware, is extremely intense and could damage incisions or something internal if not careful. Let us know how you are doing with regards to your recovery.

I like what you said about cross fit warm up; it is so true. A cross fit warm up is usually as hard as a normal workout by a non cross fitter. There are planks, push ups, pull ups, dips, hip extensions, sit-ups, air squats, rows, runs, etc. it certainly lifts your heart rate and turns on the sweat in order to be in the right state to kill a WOD. I am still doing banded pull ups. My goal is also to do 10 real pull ups without any band or box to start on. Maybe in a few weeks. I am getting better though since starting.

For others, AMRAP means as many reps as possible. It is an intense all out push through reps until you collapse. You can do AMRAP with 4 exercises or you can do fewer exercises or a shorter duration. For example, an AMRAP you can do is 2 minute air squat, rest 10 seconds, repeat for 20 minutes. Another is 2 minute style kettle ball swing, shoulder carry 25 meters, repeat for 25 minutes. your fore arms will be wailing after this one so be sure to properly stretch them out afterwards. Each exercise is definitely catered to your ability in terms of weight and/or excise modification.

Speaking of AMRAP, the AMRAP refuel bars are my favorite post cross fit session recovery supplement. They are Paleo and have 300 calories, 14 g of Protein, 22 g of carb (17 g from raw honey) and 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat - is this bad?). Usually I buy these from Amazon, but they appear to be out of stock at the moment. Check back soon. As an aside, I have noticed more and more shortages of products I usually order from Amazon that are food based in the last month. Strange.

Question..when did you start the cross fit workouts? I am 40 pounds down with about 80 to go. Is it scale able to that weight?

Question..when did you start the cross fit workouts? I am 40 pounds down with about 80 to go. Is it scale able to that weight?

Maharet111, I haven't been sleeved yet and I did crossfit and I am 100lbs+ overweight. The awesome thing about crossfit is that the exercises can be modified for EVERYONE! The people are sooo encouraging and cheer everyone on. I loved it and plan to go back after surgery!

I started my first cross fit session in February 2013, after I had finished my weight loss phase of 180 lb. I wanted to get into strength building because my upper body severely atrophied (lost muscle) from low carb, low fat and low calorie dieting for the past 7 months. Running almost daily for the last 2 months (jan, feb 2013) of it also leaned me out substantially pushing me from 230 lb to 178 lb.

The results so far from about 3 months of cross fit 2 x a week have really been impressive. I have also cut down my running to 2-3 miles a day (1 before training and 2 after training) to eliminate the catabolic effect that constant running had on my muscles. My mile times have increased to about 5:50 since first starting to run in December 2012, given the proper warm up and stretching. I cannot sustain this very well for a 10 k, but can almost sustain it for a 5 k. It is not too difficult to bust out a single mile or even 2 miles at this speed. I think cross fit has helped me achieve these faster times.

As stated above, cross fit scales very easily to people of different fitness levels and different goals. My PT said she takes people who are still very over weight because anyone can do it. And anyone can succeed with progressive results. With consistency, you will get better and better over time and be able to do more reps, heavier weights, faster. I am still fairly new at it and am very much a beginner.

Do not feel afraid to hook up with a PT to help you get proficient at the exercise technical movements if you feel more comfortable doing it this way. I like using a PT for the one-on-one experience and she will not let me ease up. We do a WOD that is just for me. In due time, I will be doing open gym with the others.

I say do it!!! One thing I have learned as a post op is to embrace change and dynamics of life. Say yes rather then no to new opportunities and see where it takes you. It makes for a much more compelling and interesting lifestyle. Each day is exciting and worthwhile.

I'm loving Crossfit too!! You're body takes shape right before your eyes! Have you guys seen the mywod app? It's great and has videos for every exercise, shows incorrect, correct, and modifications techniques! It'll get you to WOD like a GOD in no time ;)