Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So back to the bougie - my doc used a 34 and I cried - literally. But he told me to not freak out and that I'd be ok - now I see that the diff isn't that big!!! Thanks ladies. I find these treads informative and funny. Keep it coming :-)

I understand your fixation on bougie size, because you have a lap band and said its not working. I'm sure the thought if another failed surgery is frighting? But really this bougie thing is like an urban myth around here that keeps getting new life with answers like the one above..

People will lose weight with this surgery, but like the lap band it takes work. It is a surgery is a great way to help with the weight loss, but it is not a cure.

I'm sure even NtvTxn would agree you have to work at it.

Yes, of course we still have to work at it. This is not a magic bullet. We still have to make choices. If we choose fried food, ice cream and Twinkies (are they for sale again?) over eggs, broiled Cod or a lean cut of beef, then we can surely 'eat around our sleeve'. Someone else said something about worrying about once again, failing. I really don't "worry" about failing but weight gain does cross my mind and I am MINDFUL that just because I've lost all the weight I wanted to plus 5 lbs and just because I've been maintaining for almost 2.5 years....that does NOT guarantee that I cannot gain weight. I NEVER want to forget that failure is possible if I choose poorly time and time again.

You're awfully defensive and you're being a bit hypocritical.

You are chastising myself and Laura for stating that bougie size has very little, if any, impact on long term weight loss (which I would think would be both informative and encouraging). There are case studies proving this.

You did not chastise NtvTxn for opining that bougie size does impact weight loss success.

But if it makes you feel better, my surgeon didn't use a bougie, he used a thimble. If I recall correctly from another thread Laura-ven's used a garden hose. And yes, I'm being facetious.

Actually I said I do not know if it makes a difference or not, but a 32 is what I wanted. If it does make a difference then I will have no regrets five years from now. Erring on the side of caution. I did say that Dr. Davidson's nurse thought it made a difference, she has a 36 Fr Bougie. That is her opinion, basically hearsay with me just repeating it.

I've just noticed that you seem to have a fear over it. Since being here you have had some great people here (like cowgirl Jane) that are band to sleeve revisions give you great insight about the bougie size not really being a factor in success or not. And all these months later you still seem to be frighten about this surgery somehow being a failure again. It won't be a failure or success because of the bougie. It is entirely in our hands' date=' and with that I wish you luck on you Quest for a healthier life.[/quote']

I agree great advice

Interesting you keep tabs. I truly believe everyone needs to do their own research. This is a major choice for some people to make. So if that means the person needs to ask questions over and over' date=' speak with lots of different people, go back and forth, wait months, revisit the idea of surgery... I don't see a problem? As you can see some people WANT to discuss this and educate themselves.[/quote']

I don't think anyone is questioning you asking question I think what there saying no matter what size bougie the doc use it can be the 28 it's really up to how well you follow your life style change and what im getting is that there saying don't look to what size bougie it is to determine your success focus more on getting healthy and changing your life style and I pretty sure some of these women are speaking out of experience .. You got plenty of answers and they all where helpful good luck w everything I wish u the best

My dr uses a looser staple line against the boogie wall, less problems he said. Also he takes out more of the stomach, meaning the suture lines up even with the lower pyloric sphincter, some drs i guess leave more curvature there?

But really he said ur not really gonna see that much difference with a 32, 34,36 but a 40 yes the difference side by side is obvious! It's all about how ur surgeon chooses to staple/suture. So he said with the 30 bougie, looser staple line, less issues but in the long run will be a slightly larger bougie than a 30 with a tight staple line.

It's the tube-like instrument hat is lowered into your stomach during surgery to guide the surgeon when cutting off the greater curvature of your stomach.

Got it thank u! ;)

Asked my Dr's nurse today, she buzzed him he asked why I wanted to know.

Asked my Dr's nurse today' date=' she buzzed him he asked why I wanted to know.[/quote']

I told him we had to find something else to obsess about now that our food obsession is behind us. They both laughed! BTW, he uses a 34 FR which is equal to one cm. With the success I have had, it must have been plenty small enough!

I have a 34 too. my doctor said it is as aggressive as he is comfortable going because there is very little to work with if there are any problems. He says 38 is standard for Australia. I did not obsess about the size and did not even think to ask until today. Since I have read the studies showing that all sizes work well, it doesn't worry me.

I got some great information on bougies on obesityhelp.com. Super relieved to find answers to my questions with no judgements.

Lets set this straight. I am not fixated or only worried about Bougie size. In fact I just found out there were different sizes! I had already been approved and a date set before I knew.. The question came from pure curiosity! But thanks for that'!

Lets set this straight. I am not fixated or only worried about Bougie size. In fact I just found out there were different sizes! I had already been approved and a date set before I knew.. The question came from pure curiosity! But thanks for that'!

So clearly it didnt matter to me, but this site is available to ask questions and to support each other, not for others to lecture or assume why I or others are asking a question. A few ladies automatically assumed I asked because I was only worried about that before they even know what I knew. I pay a doctor alot of money so if they want to lecture me they can, or if they felt I ( and same goes for others) are only worried about size and not putting in work, they wouldn't allow the surgery!

And broke my halo, you're right that site is awesome! Before I posted I've done research and read a ton of info, overall is the same. So it sparked an interest and this why I asked!

I asked my sugeon. He told he used a 40 but not to draw comparisons with other surgeons preferences. Size of the bougie is one facet of the sugery but how it is used makes a huge difference. My guy leaves the bougie in place and then fires his staple line right up against it. He told me some docs prefer a smaller bougie and then staple off of it. Some even take out the bougie before stapleing to take out the chance of stapleing the bougie itself. He said the final size of the stomach is a result of size and stapleing technique.