Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Days After Surgry & Hurting

IS IT NORMAL TO FEEL LIKE I CAN NOT LIFT MYSELF UP. I WAS ALSO ABLE TO DRINK AND EAT. I ALSO ATE A PIECE OF HAMBURGER MEAT:hungry: WITH cheese. PLEASE HELP WHAT DO I DO. I DON'T BELIEVE MY LAPBAND IS WORKING :help: THEN ON TOP OF THAT I AM FULL OF GAS AND NAUSATED PLEASE HELP ME I NEED TO KNOW WAHT I CAN TAKE TO FEEL BETTER. IAM BEGINNING TO WONDER DID I MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION:angry

Scorpio darl...straight after surgery you are not supposed to be eating...you could dislodge the band...that is why the liquid diet is sooooo... important. you may not feel the 'restrictive' effects of the lapband itself till after your 2nd or 3rd fill but for now...try and stay on the liquid diet...get out and walk...that should take care of the gas pains and practice your deep breathing...I hope you feel better soon. I know it is hard sometimes to stay on track but it is so worth it in the long term...Chin up, allow yourself to heal then see how you feel...I am sure you will be alot more positive about things soon.

:rolleyes: becky

Scorpio, I feel for you. I am 4 weeks post op and I couldn't lift myself up for a week. So, don't worry, give yourself some time. As far as the gas and nausea, mine was so bad the 2nd day after surgery that I thought I was having a heart attack..I couldn't breathe the pain was so bad. I lived on a box of gas x strips which melt in your mouth and took pepcid which was prescribed by my dr. The Gas X works wonders. But the good you're eating is a big NO NO! Not only will it give you gas and upset your stomach but you definitely can dislodge the band. Your stomach has to heal and get used to the band being there. So liquids only. Good luck.

Sorry for the typo is my last reply. I meant the "food" you're eating, not the "good" you're eating. Also, one last thing, what you're experiencing now is called "buyer's remorse" and lots of people get it. Once you start feeling better you'll be sure you made the right decision.

scorpio,

gas and nausea are common.

if you were not given a post op diet, contact your surgeon today. i was on Clear Liquids the first week then progressed to full liquids then mushies then gradually progressed to solids.

treat your band with care the first several weeks.

keep reading on this website for more information.

Please take it slow my dear. You can do major damage by eating too soon. Go back on the doctors diet right away. You need to call the doctor and tell them about the gas and ask them what to do for it. You should be fine in a few days.

OMG, I thought I had read it wrong. Please, don't be eating and only a few days after surgery. You could loose your band or ruin it. Stick to your surgeons orders and stay on the liquids. I hope everything turns out okay for you.

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time! I think you'd feel a bit better if you drank only liquids for the first two weeks, such as high-Protein shakes with skim milk (aim for 90 grams of Protein per day), and Clear Liquids like Water and chicken broth. For the second two weeks, you can eat pureed or soft foods along with the Protein Shakes (again, aiming for 90 grams of protein per day). The first month is the time to let your stomach heal, so be sure to avoid carbonated drinks and solid foods. This is the eating plan my doctor asked us to follow.

Try this out and let us know if you feel any better--hang in there! :rolleyes:

I am so happy that you all gave some good advice because guess what? I do feel a lot better. I am glad you all let me know how important it is to stick to the liquid diet. I did purchase gas-X and taking phenerine and YES I feel so much better.

I also wanted to wanted to ask about cream of chicken Soup, it has no noodles but a little bit of meat, so what do you think? I will be calling my nurse today and ask her.

Thank you for all your support, this is a wonderful website.

I think cream of chicken Soup still might be too soon, but you really need to check with your surgeon.

I know mine is having me on clear liquids for 1 to 2 weeks. Then the creamy stuff. You stated that yours had pieces of chicken in it, that is what concerns me.

You must be very very careful post-op the first few weeks for sure. Did your surgeon assign you a dietician to talk to? If so, please call them and ask them about this BEFORE you eat it.

Hang in there.

I'm a newbie here, right now going through the preliminaries before they set a surgery date. I'm just really amazed about the questions posted here. Right now I'm awaiting a phych exam appointment, lab work, and some test that I have an IV and they put you on a treadmill. I've already had my appt with nutritionist that lasted 2 hours. Didn't your nutritionist and Dr. cover any of this nutrition and menu planing stuff? Is my Dr. that picky or just that good? I'm thinking I have a really good surgeon. Everything that must be changed about my eating habits and exercise has been drilled into my head by these professionals. I'm looking forward to this chance to take this weight off, and keep it off.

I guess my comment was, wasn't any of this covered before they wheeled you into the operating room? :omg:

I'm not looking forward to the bloating either. when i had my gall bladder out it took days for all the "air" to escape my abdomen.

It sounds like this board is very helpful and encouraging. Thanks for all the great advice as I've been reading posts for the past couple of days. It's nice to have someone on your side and know what to expect before it happens.

Good Luck!

Didn't your nutritionist and Dr. cover any of this nutrition and menu planing stuff? Is my Dr. that picky or just that good? I'm thinking I have a really good surgeon. Everything that must be changed about my eating habits and exercise has been drilled into my head by these professionals. I'm looking forward to this chance to take this weight off, and keep it off.

I guess my comment was, wasn't any of this covered before they wheeled you into the operating room?

I think some surgeons are not as thurough going thru the post-op or pre-op. And sometimes they tell you in the very first meeting, and it might be months before you have the surgery, so by then, if your like me, you have forgotten most of it.

My surgeon is having me attend a THREE hour seminar 10 days before my surgery, then I have to meet with him again for a 30 min consultation to go over the changes again. Now, I've already been over this with him before, but I think he just want to drill it into my thick head. I have a full day of appointments on the 8th of January so I'm taking off the entire day, just to make all the pre-op appointments. But, im sure even with all these appointments, I still have questions.......But I think its good he is being so thorough with me and his other patients on what to expect.

Seriously, the best advice I've received though was on this board....

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. The first 3 days were the toughest for me! I had a lot of pain and nausea as well. a cool washcloth on the back of my neck helped a little bit with the nausea. As everyone else has mentioned...please be careful with your post-op diet. If you decide to have the creamy Soup, strain out the meat. No solid food!! I couldn't have creamy Soups until 6-7 days after my surgery. Make sure to drink enough Water too! Each day you will feel a little bit better. Good luck with your recovery.

Scorpio, you need a plan with more specific instructions. The clinic where I had my surgery has a website, you can download and print their nutrition plan for post-op.

www.tlbc.ca click on the resources tab, then click on the download menu item. Scroll down and you will see a link for "diet and nutrition plan"....click on this and it will open in acrobat and you will be able to print it.

On the same page is a link to FAQ, there is some very good info there too.

Hope this helps,

Carol

Scorpio, I remember the first few days after surgery, I could not lift myself out of bed or the couch. Everyone is different. I can definatly feel for you. As far as eating, I was on liquid for 2 weeks, which consisted of Protein drinks mixed with skim milk and banana that I blended in a blender and for the next 2 weeks, I had soft foods.

I remember I tried to eat a carrot after 3 or 4 days, I got so sick and I was on vacation, my hubby called an ambulance. That was first experience of PB'ing...I don't touch carrots anymore.

My suggestion is that you might want to speak to your surgeon or a dietician. You do not want to ruin the surgery/band.

I wish you well in your recovery...LYNN