Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

smaller the average sleeve?

OK, I've been reading a lot here about what people eat at my stage (8 weeks out) and I'm a little concerned that I am not able to eat even a fraction of what others can..

Example.. Last night we took my mother out for Mothers day.. It wasn't anything fancy as we where gutting a bathroom in the apartment building they just purchased.. We went to a local diner, and I ordered the pot roast.

It came with salad, mashed potato, and green Beans. I ate the cucumber off the salad, and a tiny piece of chicken from a fajita that they got as an app. I mean a tiny piece like a pinky tip.. Then I had 1 slice of the pot roast (it was thinly sliced like a spiral ham and about 3 inches round.

That was all I could eat.. I had them pack up the rest and my wife had it today.

I would expect at this point to be able to eat a bite of salad, and maybe 2 slices of meat some vegge and maybe a bite of potato.

I didn't drink anything before the meal either.

The other night a bunch of us went out for a ride on the bikes, and stopped at a bar to eat.. I ordered 5 buffalo shrimp and only was able to eat 3 of them. took the other 2 and the fries home.

Is it possible that there is still swelling in the stomach at this far out, and it will loosen up at some point, or is this what I will be expecting to eat for the rest of my life.

I am down a lot since surgery, and while I am not loosing what I was the first month, I slowed to about 4-5lbs a week.

My main worry is when I hit goal, how will I be able to up the calories enough to maintain that weight if I can't hardly get anything in this tiny gut of mine. :)

I am approaching 8 weeks, I can only eat 2 oz chicken at a time. I am very happy to have the restriction like it is. I have done really well losing weight.

One thing you should know is: just because your time line says you can eat regular food, you should only introduce it slowly. I have found myself going back to the puréed phase. I am then able to take more in with better comfort.

I have some of the same concerns. I can't eat more than 600-700 cals per day at almost 3 months post-op. I will be very interested in what some of the veterans on this forum have to say.

Sounds pretty normal at this stage. You'll be able to eat more later on.

I believe it can take up to 6 months for tall the swelling in your stomach to go down. Also, I believe this is called the "honeymoon" phase also since you can't eat as much....enjoy it!

awesome.. thanks all.. I'd love to hear from some of the vets too :)

silly thing to worry about.. I just let my head get ahead of me.

It sounds normal to me too. I would still measure my food and do not try and over eat your sleeve or push it though.

Oh gravy!! You're WAAAYYY too early to be worried about that, honey!! Im at 15 months now. At about 8 months I felt like I could eat the world. My capacity went up to about 8 ounces. I've been told to keep eating 4 oz, however. When the "honeymoon" phase is over, that means ALL the surgical swelling is gone. It lasts a good long while. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!! Enjoy the ride while you've got it, because your old "issues" will try to haunt you again when you can hold more food, so prepare yourself for that too. My two cents. Hugs!

I agree with Dooter. I'm two years out next week. Three shrimp sounds about right. I often ordered an appetizer shrimp or crab cocktail when dining out early on. And hubby was always happy to finish what I couldn't.

Lynda

Thanks :) I am glad to know that it's just the honeymoon thing. It's good to know that. It might just be new stomach confidence, but even beyond small portions and excluding special occasions (eating out is usually a once a month thing or less for us) My wife and I have made major dietary changes.

We eat much healthier meals then we used to and substitute healthier ingredients for ones that are less healthy.. I've been following Bobby Dean's show "Not my momma's Meals" which takes his mother Paula Dean's recipes and makes them healthier lowering carbs, fat and calories. Not everything on there is a home run, but lots of them are really good, and good for you. Might be worth checking out for those of you who are looking for healthier recipes too..

We have been using my post surgery recovery time to really change the way we both eat, and our overall health in general.. Besides my MMA training, we both now go to the gym 3 days a week. Sundays we take a long hike instead of the gym.

Right now my workout schedule is Mon / Wed / Fri Gym with wife Mon-sat MMA training Sundays hike, or walk w/ wife. I am pretty sure that is why the weight has slowed since week 6.. That's when I started working out again so I am probably rebuilding muscle as well as burning fat.