Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My hair is important to me. It was one of my biggest concerns about having the surgery. Well, here I am over 5 months out and my hair is fine. I read lots of stories about clumps of hair coming out and cringing at the thought. I talked to my doctor about what I could do or take to prevent it. His advice to me - don't do or buy anything special. Eat right and make sure you get your Protein in and take your Vitamins. I asked him about Biotin and he told me not to bother. That is exactly what I have been doing. Has my hair thinned a teensy bit? Sure. It is noticeable? Not at all. Do I have hair on my clothes more often? Yup. Overall the change in my hair is noticeable to me but no one else. Now I realize everyone's story is different, but I wanted to share mine with those who are thinking about the surgery or early on post op because I am sure someone else is/was probably as worried as me.

Me! I'm worried too. Thank you so much for sharing about your non Hair loss. I' have a bit of hope now:)

THANKS ... WAS VERY WORRIED ,I ALREADY HAVE THIN HAIR....

I'm the same way, 11 months post op with some thinning but no more than usual. I didn't take anything either other than my multi Vitamin and Calcium. With the exception of the 1st month I have always gotten my minimum Protein of 80 grams.

Good day... I just wanted to drop a line and tell you my experience. I too had not lost hair until month 5 and it lasted through month 9. I love my hair and it was devastating to me. I did my best to hide the thinner hair by layering it more etc. I had taken all the precautions like Biotin Shampoo and Vitamins etc. Nothing stopped it, it was inevitable. I also think because my hair is long, the amount looked far worse on the shower floor than if it had been a shorter length. It is growing back strong and actually super curly at the scalp. I may end up looking like a sheep. My hairdresser goes crazy trying to grab those millions of short hairs when highlighting my hair. The short inside hairs gives me a natural lift. It's coming back. My Dr said it's your body's natural cycle when it going through the trauma of surgery and weight loss Although I never lost hair on my numerous weight losses before. I received a lot of support here in VSG and it really did help knowing that it would come back. I'm 16 months out and life is good.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones that d

on't experience this, but if you are, be assured it all comes back and mine even thicker.

I have fine hair but lots of it and yes I have lost hair at the top of my head. It is noticable to me, as you can see more of my scalp, but I am sure no one else notices. I am 8.75 months out and I don't think that it has started to grow back yet. I too have done all the pre-measures: bitoin, Vitamins, lots of Protein but to no avail...............................

I have very thin white hair. It's so thin in front I can see my scalp. So, losing hair concerns me. I have been taking Biotin, but have been hearing its not really going to help. Don't get sleeved until July, but I am going to look into getting a good wig. I figure as thin as my hair is now, it won't hurt and will help my self-esteam.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I lost a lot of hair from 4 months to 9 months even though I was taking all my Vitamins, Biotin & getting all my Protein in. It finally started coming back at around 9-10 months. I have lots of baby hair. I tried Nioxin, garner fructis fight fall. None helped. I did notice clear hair Shampoo & conditioner helped me a little. It's $5 at Walmart & feeds the scalp. Best of luck! I can tell you, I freaked out too but it was well worth it.

Kristie

Hi! I have a hair question/comment.

In Jan 2011 I was diagnosed with having Telegen Effluvium and Alopecia. Since then I have been seeing a dermatologist who has me on steroidal foams/liquids for my scalpe, special Shampoo and mens extra strenght Rogain. When I first saw her I had noticibal bald spots. Now, I have a full think head of hair. I also have to use Latisse on my eyelashes and eyebrows. She also has be taking the flax seed oil and 2,500 mcg Biotin for my hair.

I hear about the Hair loss a lot, and I am just wondering if the fact that I am on mens rogain (theortically my hair should only disappear with the cessation of Rogain) still might result in my losing my hair?

I have not had the surgery yet. I am in limbo land trying to get it scheduled.