Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fist let me apologize if this is repetitive. I had my sleeve Wednesday and until last evening and today felt fine. Now, I feel awful. The Belly pain is so bad. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired and maybe this contributes to the pain some...i'm not sure. It hurts really bad to take deep breaths. I do not feel like eating anything, but have been sipping Water nonstop since sugery. I am trying to drink some of the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup now. My pain med is Lortab and it is not helping the pain really at all. Also-I haven't had shoulder pain from the gas, but both of my traps on either side of my neck are killing me. Could that be from the gas?

I guess I'm just wondering is this all normal? I read so much on these boards and thought I was prepared, mentally and physically, however, it has hit me like a ton of bricks. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

EVERYTHING you wrote sounds like what happened to me. I think it may be gas, but to be sure take your temperature and notice if you have any fevers, chills, sweating, and nasuea along with the pain. If you are unable to keep anything down call your DR. immediately and head to the ER. If you notice the additional symptoms call your DR.

Although from your symptoms I am really sure it is gas. What helped me a lot is drinking once the liquid touched my lips and not as soon as the spoon/cup touched my lips. I had to learn real fast that a lot of trapped air from drinking like that made me bloated and gas me lots of gas. Also, I felt like I got beat up really bad when I came out of surgery. That seems funny now, but I was in tears. I had a PCA attached to my IV, and was given liquid Lortab/vicodin by mouth.

Another thing you can do is write down EVERYTHING you are putting into your mouth. It is very possible that you may be taking in too much at one time.

I hope your pain gets better. PM me if you want to chat.

I forgot to add that every hour try to stand up and walk around a bit for 10-15 minutes. That helps A LOT with gas and moving the bowels along.

Thanks for normalizing it for me! I have been walking regularly and taking the gas-x strips. I just needed to know that other people felt this way afterwards too!

feel awful. gas? normal? ton of bricks.

nervousnelle

hi newbie :)

sorry you aren't feeling great at the moment :(

did you "forget"?? ;) that you just had major surgery???

we all react differently to the WLS

problems you mentioned do sound normal - that doesn't help your situation any though :(

reactions, side effects from gas are not fun :angry:

"don't feel like eating anything" - well, your tummy is on the mend - but you wouldn't be eating now anyways

you'll finish your clear, full liquids, puree', soft foods and then finally solids

good for you on continually sipping - and trying to intake the soup

"things" do improve daily

you should start to feel better soon

"we" all give GREAT advice ;) but...........

any real concerns, medical (neck issues) et al should always be addressed to your doctor

take care

good luck

Certainly didn't forget the major surgery part. Just thought I would feel gradually better after leaving hospital...not worse. This is really the first surgery I have had.

I did probably have too high of expectations. I was so focused on having a positive attitude...oh well. Still trying to maintain positivity, just on a lower scale I guess.

thanks so much for the replies! It means a lot!

FYI--When I said I didn't feel like eating, I did mean that I didn't feel like taking in anything at all (I was cleared for full liquids when I got home--no real clear liquid stage w/ my dr.) I absolutely can't imagine drinking a Protein shake at this point even though it's on my recommended diet for now. I'm sticking with clears til I feel a little better!

Poor thing! You just had surgery 2 days ago, your body is trying to heal and push out all that trapped air. You are going to have pain, if it gets too bad and what you are taking isn't helping call your dr. He can prescribe something else. Just take it easy, keep your positive attitude, it helps a lot and just tell yourself this is only for a time. You will feel better in a few weeks, it just takes time. We want everything fast, quick recovery etc. but your body will do what it's gonna do, just let it heal, be kind to yourself. Try every day with the fluids, that is important and make sure you're walking to get the air out. This was my surgery too, it does get better! Good luck and congratulations! :)

Poor thing! You just had surgery 2 days ago' date=' your body is trying to heal and push out all that trapped air. You are going to have pain, if it gets too bad and what you are taking isn't helping call your dr. He can prescribe something else. Just take it easy, keep your positive attitude, it helps a lot and just tell yourself this is only for a time. You will feel better in a few weeks, it just takes time. We want everything fast, quick recovery etc. but your body will do what it's gonna do, just let it heal, be kind to yourself. Try every day with the fluids, that is important and make sure you're walking to get the air out. This was my surgery too, it does get better! Good luck and congratulations! :)[/quote']

*my first surgery too

My trapezius muscles felt worse a couple of days after the surgery than immediately after. (Just like muscles feel worse a couple of days after a workout.)

It's all referred pain from the diaphragm, both from the gas and the hernia closure (I had a hernia too). It hurts when you take a deep breath because you are activating the diaphragm, and the pain gets referred to the neck/shoulders.

It'll take several days, maybe even up to two weeks, but it will keep getting better and eventually go away.

Are you taking the max dose of your pain meds and are you taking them around the clock and not missing doses? I took my anti-nausea and pain meds on schedule the 1st week and was sleepy most of the time but it helped with my nausea and kept my pain under control. I am an old post op surgery nurse so I know pain management the 1 st week after surgery is important. Also get up and walk around to move your gas out. That really does help. If you think things are not improving......check in with your Dr.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thanks everyone! I am now sure that what I'm feeling is normal. ajeeprider--I am staying on my meds regularly. I truly believe in pain prevention! yaya--the trap thing took me by surprise just because I expected the pain in my shoulders, but not there!

Thanks again for all the replies. Hopefully, you guys helping me now will help someone else in the future too :)

Hi I had my surgery on Monday band to sleeve revision as well as a hiatal hernia repaired. It sure sounds like gas pains because I had them too. I can tell you today day 5 I feel so much better. I have been walking a lot and taking meds for nausia and heartburn as well as gas X. I am on Clear Liquids the first week and have been doing my best but I havn't been getting much Protein. I have been sleeping in a semi sitting up/slouching position on my chase lounge on my sofa because sleeping in my bed caused me a lot of pain. Take it easy in a week or so you won't even remember this part!

I had really bad pain in my shoulder and neck too. The nurses kept telling me it was gas and would pass in a couple days. Well when I went to have my drain removed on day 7 after surgery, it was still so bad I was taking the morphine pills just in the hopes it would help (which it didn't). When I asked my surgeon about it, he said it was possible that it was referred pain from the end of the drain poking my diaphragm. He was right. The second the drain was removed the pain was totally gone. Apparently there is a nerve that goes along the diaphragm and along the shoulder and neck. Who knew.

Question I just came home from the hospital and they gave me liquid vicaden do I need to take it with food?