Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Odd question about removing the drainage tube

My doctor keeps them in for a week. Most of my pain after i got home was from the drain. When they took out the drain the doctor had met take a deep breath and when I blew out he would pull some of it out. It took about three deep breaths and it was just a weird feeling not pain. Once it was out I had no more abdominal pain.

Mine wasn't painful, it was just uncomfortable and maybe even pinched a little. You know how, like, if you're on a roller coaster and you go down a hill and it feels like your stomach drops? That is what my drain removal felt like. It made me a little sick to my stomach. It was removed the day after surgery right before I was discharged from the hospital.

My drainage tube actually slipped out on it's own in the hospital. I got up to walk and the tube was sitting next to my leg. The nurse said she had never had that happen before. I didn't feel a thing. I think it proababy happened in my sleep. I was tossing and turning because i was uncomfortable.

I didn't have a drain. Also my doctor did not give me a pain button! Was ok. Gave me the IV pain med I want every hour if I wanted it and IV Tylenol every 6 hours. It worked well because I had a bad sinus headache in the hospital.

My drain removal hurt. Yes. Pain. But it only takes 10 seconds. I had my drain about 4 days.

Each Dr. is different, some put in drains, some do not. I had mine for about 3 days, and then the Dr. came and took it out at the hotel before I went home (I had surgery in Mexico). Ask your Dr. if he/she will use a drain or not so you can know what to expect.

I never had a drainage tube' date=' if I did, they removed it while I was still out. Are you sure you're going to have one?[/quote']

No, I was just reading posts where they kept talking about one.

No drain for me... unless it was done while I was still out!

My mom and I had the same surgeon. She had a drainage tube and I didn't. Maybe it depends on what takes place during surgery????

I had my surgery in upstate NY and I didn't have a drain. Maybe during the surgery I did but never after.