Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

I agree Sooverit, thats how i feel, i havent had any procedure yet still deciding which one but yes i knwo if i told ppl they would say the same thing. I have decided i am not going too.. only my partner and family - as far as anyone else not their business... as you said heheeh "who cares" ... nice to hear someone who has felt the same as me too :tea:)

Sooverit, I'm in the same boat with ya. 36/37 BMI, 5'8". But ya know what (FREAKED me out, and made me realize I FOR SURE have to continue on my journey here): I went to the Dr on Mon to get a referral for sleep apnea testing. I was 245 (up from 242 the week before - guh). I said, "hey, can you do me a favor and measure me, too? My hubby says I got shorter.". They did. I measured 5'6.5". Unreal. My fat is making me shorter.

I DO NOT want to be a dinky round old person. I want to be a glamazon! I, too, am worried that the ins will turn me down, but I'm going to do absolutely everything I can to make sure they have full info to maximize the possibility of approval. Oh, and I pray a lot! :tea:

Good luck to you - sounds like we're on similar journeys, and I'll be rooting for you!

~kat

I realise this is lap band talk, but there is also on other threads quite a bit of discussion around Lapband and VSG, so thought given it is procedure recommended for lower BMI patients, that some of the ppl on this thread may have had it instead of or after their lapband.

Am quite aware that the majority of ppl have lapbands but would be nice to hear their opinions etc..i believed that was the purpose of thsi forum - discussion aroun lapband , procedures etc... hence me posting the above:)

I didn't mean to sound rude. I hop eyou are able to find the information

you are looking for.

I have not been banded and am awaiting to see the Nutritionist . My BMI borders around 36/37 and I am a big boned 5'8" kinda gal. Somtimes I get those thoughts in my head like I'm not overweight enough for this surgery.!!...or maybe I don't deserve it. Then when I went to my PCP and the nurse said I was developing High blood pressure and I think about the people in my family that got Type 11 diabetes I don't think I'm crazy. I must remember this is not a cosmetic proceedure but a life saving/prolonging proceedure but still I know if I told certain people I was having this they would think I was totally nuts but who cares...

Hi. We are the same height and about the same bmi - depending on the day I'm either 35 or 36. It's amazing how my weight can flcktuate 10 pounds in just a day or 2. Too bad it's always the SAME 10 pounds! I also have high bp and am bordeline diabetic. We are also close in age. I'm 43. Hopinjg to be banded by the end of the month, but may have to wait until Sept. I am hoping it is this month because I'm a teacher adn school starts Sept 4! I alos sometimes think I don't deserve this or that I am cheating by getting the band. Then at other times I am just so darn excited I could care less! Ihaven't told tons of people and wonder how I will respond if and when I start to lose. I wonder how some people will react - like I'm not as good because I didn't just diet. I gess I really souldn't care, but in truth I do. I probably care too much what people think. When do you think you will get the ok? te gal at my doc's office said BCBS has been preety quick about responding, but it being summer it may be a little longer. Waiting is SO HARD - but not as much as trying to diet...:)

Hi Pam: I just started developing High bp lately too...yikes...this is making my decision more of a no brainer every day! I think esp. for you being a teacher and on your feet all day...your joints and other body parts will thank you when you lose weight. Also I am now 48 and the body isn't as forgiving as it always was ...a few months ago when the warm weather came I decided once again to beat my body into submission and worked out hard, planted, biked, and walked my daughter to school up a giant hill...the next day I was confined to bed for 3 days because of a back problems which I NEVER had before. My Chiropractor thinks it is weight related.

I think even tho to look at us we carry our weight well but it still is unhealthy to be this overweight.

I will keep you in my positive thoughts ...keep us posted on your progress with the almighty insurance geeks:wacko:

Marg

woHi. PS> I'm with you I've only told a small handful of people....I hope I don't slip when I start losing weight....I'ts hard for me to keep a secret.. my secrets I mean....and I'm a talka as you can all see

Ihaven't told tons of people and wonder how I will respond if and when I start to lose. I wonder how some people will react - like I'm not as good because I didn't just diet. I gess I really souldn't care, but in truth I do. I probably care too much what people think. When do you think you will get the ok? te gal at my doc's office said BCBS has been preety quick about responding, but it being summer it may be a little longer. Waiting is SO HARD - but not as much as trying to diet...happy.gif

Hi Kat: I haven't been on the scale in a while I bet I'm about the same weight as you now too! The fact they measured you shorter is great!! I wonder if they may have done it as a favor to you...because you know that will increase your BMI and chances for insurance approval! yeah....I hope I'm shrinking but I don't think so...I'm going the other way up and out! :-) I feel that having every single paper in order and taking your time...is the best way to go. I'm actually writing sample letters for my doc ...he could copy them on to his letterhead if he wants ..hope I'm not being too controlling but I feel this is too important to not give it 150 percent!

ant to be a dinky round old person. I want to be a glamazon! I, too, am worried that the ins will turn me down, but I'm going to do absolutely everything I can to make sure they have full info to maximize the possibility of approval. Oh, and I pray a lot! happy.gif

Good luck to you - sounds like we're on similar journeys, and I'll be rooting for you!

~kat<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

Hi Col....so true who the heck cares....people are generally pretty wrapped up in themselves to give too much of a hoot anyhow. This is a very personal decision I feel and only I know if it's right.

I do know tho that my 10 year old daughter will freak if I tell her....get worried ...start thinking she's too fat etc....I will cross that bridge when I get there I guess

"who cares" ... nice to hear someone who has felt the same as me too happy.gif)<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

Hi everyone. Just thought I would pop in and say hi! I am excited to almost be in the 100's! Yeah! Congrats everyone!

Well, I find out on Thursday my surgey date and also if am going with lapband or the VSG. AM really hoping tht i can still talk on here and get support even if go the VSG as there doenst seem to be any other forums as good as this one andi guess the thng is about support not about the exact procedure/ LOL well thats what i amhoping anyways....

Yes Soverit, heheh who cares... I have decided ia m nto going to tell the ppl at my work, despite the dietician believeing this would be good support for me as a few girls at work have had surgery.. what do ppl think, i see it as private and no one's business..

:ranger:

Anyway hopefully still keep talkingon here despite maybe being a ring in and going VSG and not LB. If anyone knows a good forum with VSG can they let me know but the only one i saw there was no postings hardly... Beisdes you guys all talk a lot and i love reaidng what you all have to say ;))

Well, I just had to pop in and say you are lucky if you have people at your work that have been banded. I would tell them for sure!! You are going to really want that day to day support. You don't have to decide right away but I think at some point you will want to tell them. I know for me I didn't really want people to know until I lost a few pounds. Then I told the whole world after I lost 50lbs. I am only about 15lbs to goal.:clap2:

Hey guys!

I haven't been on as much in the last week or so!

So much going on!!! I started a new part time job and just having the kids home for the summer throws me off so much..

I am maintaining my weight, no loss.

I go from getting stuck to being able to eat. Today I had my first official PB and it was gross!!!! It hurt so bad until the stuff came out.

I just kept to liquids for the rest of the day and had some watermelon in the evening.

I am doing the South Beach diet but my cravings before TOM were so bad I ate off the plan, hence no weight loss!!!!!

SUCKS!!!!!

I need to get my butt back to exercising, but until my kids go back to school, I don't see it happening.

How are you all doing???

Audree

I;m here Audree! You are looking so great...but get your butt excercising! You can do it! I know it is hard when you are busy but I know you will work it all! Miss you. xoxo Victoria.

Hi Gang...

I've been gone for a while and even though I rarely comment, I read just about everyday.

I just got my first fill on Monday, back in TJ with handsome Dr. Ortiz!!! I have 2cc's in a 4cc band and I feel great. For the first time since my surgery, I can eat TINY portions and feel full!!! I had a supersmoothie from yoplait and felt full for hours. A fellow bander that got banded the same day as me, is on her THIRD fill...she still has only limited restriction. I hope that doesn't happen to me...

Anyway, thanks for all the comments on here. I'm back on the wagon now. I had a rough time emotionally adjusting to LB and I've been mourning food for the last 2 months. :whoo: I'm OVER it now. :clap2: This is a life changing experience and I'm going for it!!!!!

I've made a decision to become somewhat of a vegetarian...only fish...it's a healthier choice for me and I'm gonna see how it goes...

I ordered the Protein from www.unjury.com, so thanks to whoever suggested it. My hair has been falling out, because I wasn't eating enough protein. I'll use legumes and that supplement to keep up my intake.

Well, friends, that's all for now. I'm going to sincerely try to figure out how to work this, so I can get a ticker and all that stuff.

Be Blessed,

Stacy

Hi Soupgirl: Wow I have never read here anyone expressing/admitting what you just said! Thank you for being so honest and open! It was good to read it and you acknowledged my biggest fear. I know I will be mourning food BIGTME also. Food has been everything to me in my life and I know I've used it like a drug at times. I am so afraid of the "withdrawal" symptoms esp. since I'm going through menopause too or bad PMS either way I'm not exactly always on an even keel. Congratualtions on overcoming this hurldle....how did you do it...? Do you have any wisdom to share now that you are on the other side? I am a lower BMI 36/37 and haven't been banded but taking the steps toward getting there. ARe you a lower BMI also? It's not as easy I think if it's not a life or death choice at least not now. The closer I get to getting the band the more nervous I'm getting. It's great to read of your success....way to go!

Anyway, thanks for all the comments on here. I'm back on the wagon now. I had a rough time emotionally adjusting to LB and I've been mourning food for the last 2 months. whoo.gif I'm OVER it now. clap2.gif This is a life changing experience and I'm going for it!!!!!