Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Hi Audree,

I've read alot of your posts and sounds like you're doing great and am really inspired by you!

So.....here's my dilemma, and I'd really like to hear your feedback:

I've been on the diet rollercoaster like most that have decided to finally get the band. The issue is that I've never hit over 200 lbs, and most people I know do not think I'm obese at all. Ever since I hit my 30's and had my second son, and had back surgery 4 years ago, the weight has piled on, and my metabolism has definately slowed down! I've tried every diet possible....Nutrisystem, Atkins, SouthBeach, etc, etc! The most I've ever lost on any of these is 25 lbs., and then of course I can't keep it up and I go back to my old ways and gain the weight back and then some +++. I love, love, love to eat! It's the only social thing I get to do when I'm at work all day and go out to lunch with the girls. Since becoming a single mom of 2, I don't have time to go out and date much (& plus I don't want to since I don't like the way I look and feel)......and so.....I turn to the refrig, and bad Snacks when I'm not busy with my kids. During the holidays, I got up to bout 180 lbs, and now I'm back down to 170-175 (varies). I'm 5"5"....so my BMI isn't too extreme, but besides the fact that of course I want to look good and slim down, my mom is extremely overweight and has diabetes, highblood pressure, and other health problems, and my dad has had heart problems and a quadruple bypass. I want to do something about my weight issues now, while I'm still young, and before I even experience the same issues that my parents have. As mentioned above, I did have back surgery about 4 years ago, and now that my weight has increased over the years, my back is aching more and more as well.

I actually already have my surgery scheduled with Dr. Ortiz for February 9th, but am sooooo scared that I'm not making the right decision.

I keep going over it in my mind constantly and think that maybe I should really try yet another diet to loose the extra 45/50 lbs that I've gained over the past 5 years. I'm also scared that I won't be able to stay away from food. I love different flavors, the taste of good food, going out with my friends and family and eating. Plus, I haven't told anyone in my family that I'm going to do this. I know they would think I'm crazy to go to Mexico and get this done...they would definately not be supportive. My best friend is the only one who knows and she is coming with me to my surgery. I just wonder if I should give dieting once last ditch effort?

Also, It is so hard for me to get time off of work. I only took the Friday off for my surgery and plan to go back to work that Monday. I wonder if I'll physically and mentally be able to get through work on a day to day basis especially being on the liquid diet for the first 4-6 weeks. Then I have to go home and still deal with my boys after work, which is going to be very difficult on my own.

I'm just soooo scared if this is all worth it!

Mindy

I don't regret if for a second! For the first time in my life, I am not a slave to food and dieting anymore. The peace it has brought me is priceless. I was going to do "one more diet" before getting banded, but I knew in my heart, I would gain it back, AGAIN!!!!

I didn't want to play that game yet another time!

GO FOR IT GIRL!!!!!

Audree Do I need to get the south beach diet book, That happens to be one diet I havnt tried lol. Ive probally wasted my money on the rest. I will try it with all youaall see what I cant loose before.I havnt been exercizing or nothing lately but I might start walking on my tredmill at least.

I actually posted the whole plan on this thread. If you look through the thread about a week ago, you will have it all!!! It is actually the way we are suppposed to eat as bansters and some lapband doctors actually advise it since it falls in the bandster rules!

Susan,

Thanks for the reply...........I feel sooo much better reading all these posts.

& yes, I'm getting so addicted to this board too. It's just really cool reading everyone's experience & success........just so motivating! I'm sure I'll be able to do it, but it's funny because I've read about people's "mental" hunger issues, and I know that's going to be me. It's going to be especially hard giving up my lunches with my friends at work. There is a track across the street from where I work....I think once I have my surgery in February, and I start feeling better.....I'll go walk the track instead.

Does anyone have a list put together of what they've "drank" during the 1st stage of Clear liquids, and 2nd stage of mushies during the 4-6 weeks after surgery? I've read alot on here, but of course didn't take notes at the time.

It would be so helpful if there was a post op diet book for lap band.

Thx :)

Mindy

With Dr. Ortiz I get three weeks of liquids. In the beginning I used Wolfgang Pucks Gourmet broth, Better Than Boullion, drinkable yogurt, creamy Soups, Myoplex pre made protien, Vitamin Water, Kelloggs Protein Water, nectar Protein powder, V8 to name some off the top of my head!!

hi Guys,

Have a question. Need help. I have been going to the same hair stylist for the past two years. She does a good job and we sometimes hang out, meeting for lunch or dinner. The problem is, everytime I go, she is always complaining about something. It becomes depressing to hear her latest rant about the least little thing. There is another stylist in that same shop, a guy, he also does a great job, (I've seen his clients). This hair stylist is always upbeat, having a good time. I would love to switch, but I don't want to hurt my stylists' feelings. Suggestions?

I have had to switch once like that. The way I did it is my hair stylist couldn't fit me in and I told her I needed to get it done, so I had to make an appointment with another stylist. After, i just told her that I really liked the way the new stylist cut my hair. It is part of the business.

Did anyone have trouble loggin in on saturday? I couldn't log in at all till the evening!!!

I also went to a support group here in Rancho Cucamonga, and there was a girl there who inspired me!!!! She had lost 130 pounds in a little over a year and looked AMAZING!!!!!!!!

She was pretty strict with her eating. She said she didn't mess around and that is why she got such good results. She had her main meal at lunch and a light dinner. She also exercised a lot.

Audree,

Wow, 130#. How old was she? Did she have a lot of loose skin? Did she need any plastic surgery? That is amazing. Just shows what you can do if you put your mind to it. She must of followed the bandster rules 100% of the time.

She looks amazing!! I saw her before pics too and it was night and day. She did say she followed the bandster rules 100%. She did have some surgery which is to be expected.

I plan to follow her in footsteps. I have asked her to email exactly what she did and I will post it here!

Howdee Folks, Hows everyone doing? Fine I hope.Ok since we arnt allowed to have pop with the band should I start breaking myself now? I know that will be my hardest to give up,and I even know how fattening it is and not good dor your stomach and I still gop it down. Oh what about you know Quick Trips frozen Cappachinos Im hooked one 64oz almost every other day, it is the only thing that seems to give me energy. good excuse huh. I think once Im banded that will be enough motivation for me and of couse you all I know will help.

I just stopped after the surgery. I need my caffeine and I didn't want to quit, LOL. But I haven't had any since the day before my surgery. To be honest I have thought about it but it is really getting a lot easier now. And it has only been 2 weeks. So to break a pop habit in 2 weeks is pretty good I think.

I have had coffee with soy milk since day 4 after surgery. I always get an iced venti sugar free vanilla soy latte from Starbucks. They are only like 170 calories or so and they are very delicious. $4.70 though.

If the QT one is anything like Starbucks frozen drinks you are looking at MEGA calories. I would check nutritional content and plan on punting something that was super high in calories.

Howdee Folks, Hows everyone doing? Fine I hope.Ok since we arnt allowed to have pop with the band should I start breaking myself now? I know that will be my hardest to give up,and I even know how fattening it is and not good dor your stomach and I still gop it down. Oh what about you know Quick Trips frozen Cappachinos Im hooked one 64oz almost every other day, it is the only thing that seems to give me energy. good excuse huh. I think once Im banded that will be enough motivation for me and of couse you all I know will help.

Hello all!

I am really glad I never got used to drinking coffee. I gave up pop quite awhile ago when I decided all the atificial sweetners were just chemicals that aren't good for me. I am supposed to drink 64 oz of Water, so it would be really hard to drink anything else. It's really hard sometimes to wait an hour after eating to drink though.

I only had to be on Clear Liquids the first 24 hours. After that it was anything I could get through a straw. I used a lot of low carb slim fast since it's the cheapest. My doctor's office sells a lot of stuff too. The sugar free hot chocolate is really good but you could just buy sugar free hot chocolate at the grocery store and add Protein Powder to it. The important thing is getting in all the Protein you're supposed to have. I have had some sugar free popsicles in the evenings if I felt like I wanted some sort of treat. Most evenings though, I really don't think about it.

I have heard a lot of people say the protein powders at www.unjury ( I think that's how it's spelled) is really good. If anyone wants the exact address address I can email my friend for it.

One Protein Drink I like is low carb vanilla slim fast, a little bit of orange juice and vanilla yogurt all blended up. They even have orange juice made with splenda so it's pretty low calorie. Those yoplait liquid yogurts are really good too.

I have been on liquids over 3 weeks now and it really doesn't bother me. It was hard the first 5 days but I am completely used to it. I have lost 14 lbs. since 12-29. I just hope I keep losing when I move on to mushies then solids. I don't have a fill scheduled until 2-12.

I agree with everyone else. This board has been a life saver for me. I definitely would have not been able to make it through this without all of you. I haven't told my friends or anyone at work, so that's why this board is such a lifeline. It's very comforting to read everyone's posts and have all the support we have here!:nervous:):biggrin1::) I love you guys!

I can't wait till my Dr. Ortiz book lapband for life comes in, Audree said it was really good.

It was really good!!! It answered a lot of questions and he has the maker of the band and other world renowned surgeons write a part in the book.. The only thing that changed is his post op diet.

I just wanted to see how we are all doing?

I am doing good. I start solids Saturday, so I only have 5 days to go. I feel fine for now on liquids though. I went to a support group and they said that your meal has to be solids, not mushies to do it right. They said eggs are not a solid. Only chicken, meat, turkey, and fish are solids. They said too many people have a mushy that just goes right past the stoma and they wonder why they are hungry.

I am going to start the South Beach diet next Saturday.

Anyone want to join me???

You can also get a lot of info on Prevention.com

South Beach Diet Recipes

Once you get to Phase 3, you will be eating all the foods listed. The following recipes are sample of food you can eat. Feel free to explore new recipes by referring to South Beach Diet foods list.

Breakfast – Tex Mex Style (South Beach Diet Menu)

½ grapefruit

2 scrambled eggs mixed with Monterey Jack cheese and salsa

1 slice of whole grain toast

Decaffeinated coffee or tea, fat-free milk and sugar substitute if desired

Mid-Morning Snack

1 hard-boiled egg

Lunch – Roast Beef Wrap

1 ¼ cups reduced-fat cream cheese

4 flour tortillas (9” or 10”)

½ red onion, sliced

4 spinach leaves

8 ounces roast beef, sliced

Spread a small amount of cream cheese over the tortilla. Layer the spinach, onion, and roast beef, roll up, and fold. Serves 4.

Mid-Afternoon Snack

4 ounces Dannon Light ‘n Fit yogurt

recipe.jpgDinner – Lemon Couscous chicken (South Beach Menu)

1 ¼ cups water

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

2 cups broccoli florets

1 package Near East Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil Couscous mix

1 ½ chopped cooked chicken

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

¼ teaspoon lemon peel

In a large skillet, bring Water, oil, broccoli, and spice from couscous mix to a boil. Stir in couscous, cooked chicken, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Simmer until heated through and then remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Using a fork, fluff lightly, then chill and serve cold. Serves 4.

Dessert – Lemon Peel Ricotta Crème (South Beach Diet Menu)

½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese

¼ teaspoon grated lemon peel

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

1 package sugar substitute

Mix the ricotta cheese, lemon peel, vanilla extract, and sugar substitute, served chilled

Link to some more:

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/recipecollection.html

Bump, bump, bump