Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why in the world am I so stinking hungry and I'm only a week out. I'm calling my doc tomorrow because this is ridiculous. I didn't go through the pain of this surgery to fail. I'm suppose to be on Clear Liquids for another 3 days but I've already tried some foods that don't bother me at all. I can't eat much but still the fullness don't last long

Are you taking a ppi? Typically this soon after surgery, you have a lot of gas and acid built up in your stomach. This can appear to be hunger pains. Also many of us have something called head hunger, where you are physically hungry, but your brain is telling that you are. If you are going to talk to your Dr. ask for some nexsium or some other ppi. You can also get some OTC. I took it for about 3 months post op, and it really helped.

Once you move to soft foods, the hunger will lessen. In a perfect world, we'd all like to wake up from surgery and find our hunger has magically disappeared forever but sadly that's not how it happens. Only advice I can give you I add more Protein to your drinks. Your going to get a lot of grief from some because you're so early out and are not following the diet plan set forth by your doctor. Whether you paid out of pocket or not for this surgery, it's not wise to risk your well being so soon after surgery by advancing your diet. Above all, follow ONLY what your doctor says. It's premature to contact a doctor about excessive hunger so early out, but I understand the misery because I went through it too. Find something to occupy yourself with and remember to sip, sip, sip. Hope this helps.

Honestly every doctor is different so I shouldn't be judged for disobeying my doctor because I'm sure a all have..and yes I do take a ppi that was prescribed by my doc.

I felt what I thought were hunger pangs in the first week or so too. I am only 12 days out but the hungry feeling went away. I can tell when I need to eat something but it's different. I imagin your body takes a bit to catch up to such a drastic change and what your feeling may be more from habit vs real hunger. I know that prior to surgery I used to feel "full and content" most of the day, when I wasn't "full" I was hungry. Things are going to be so different anda habit takes at least 21 days to break, or so I have read. Good luck and use caution self advancing your diet, it can be very risky.

I'm not eating anything that's not in my doctors list just doing it a few days sooner. Hope I'm not a failure already.

Wish I knew what to tell ya. I'm 4 months out and I'm hungry ALL the time EXCEPT the hour or so after I finish a meal, then I'm hungry again. Lol. Hang in there...it does get a little easier once you can eat solids.

Oh Jami I was the same as you. I was supposed to be on clear liquids for a week. By the 4th day I started shakes then yogurt and so on. I too felt like a failure and also had that "what the "F" did I do to myself?" But I'm now 18 days out and feeling really good. Also, not all antacids work the same. Maybe switch it up. I was taking Pepcid in the morning and then decided to start taking it in the evening as well. I also walk 1-2 miles/day and it has helped tremendously. It gets better...promise :D

Hang in there Jami and no you are not a failure the hunger pangs will go away at least mine did, pre surgery I used to love me some Popeyes chicken but about two weeks out I could smell Popeyes and it won't even bother me, I have not eaten it since before surgery 14 weeks ago so hang in there lady ok

Honestly every doctor is different so I shouldn't be judged for disobeying my doctor because I'm sure a all have..and yes I do take a ppi that was prescribed by my doc.

I'm kinda confused? Who said anything about disobeying your doc? This is a forum that is supportive and people will give information that they interpret that is asked. We have all been hungry the first week after the surgery and some is contributed to acid in the stomach and not all PPI's are affective. There is still the hunger hormone left in the stomach called ghrelin and it hasn't been completely absorbed yet.....Hang in there it will get better..... :)

P.S. you are not a failure.........Can't wait to see you when you get skinnier........I can see your smile now............:P

Hang in there. Water, walk, and protein...as much as you can & make yourself if you have to. I felt a million times better the week I was able to have a scrambled egg, toast, and Peanut Butter. You will feel better in time. I am eight weeks out, and I am still not myself. But each day does get better, I promise.

Don't pay any attention to any negative comments, etc from anyone ...just scroll on down to something more supportive or helpful.

Best of luck to you. Take care!

no one in this thread said anything to me about disobeying my doc but I have had people in other threads say..."you shouldn't do that" I thank you all for the input and appreciate your kind words, I think I am just an impatient person and I want results now and im not getting them. I cant wait until I can get into the gym and start my real journey. Thanks everyone so much you all really inspire me. :)

no one in this thread said anything to me about disobeying my doc but I have had people in other threads say..."you shouldn't do that" I thank you all for the input and appreciate your kind words, I think I am just an impatient person and I want results now and im not getting them. I cant wait until I can get into the gym and start my real journey. Thanks everyone so much you all really inspire me. :)

Can't chastise someone for doing the same thing I did. I came home on full liquids, started purees a day earlier and mushies 2 days early (I really hated purees, rather not eat than puree my food). So while I don't encourage disobeying Dr's orders, it happens. Doctor's orders DO matter. Do the best that you can. Best of luck.

I'm not eating anything that's not in my doctors list just doing it a few days sooner. Hope I'm not a failure already.

I did the same thing, started the next phase a few days earlier. I felt like my body was telling me it was ready. I also only ate the approved foods and amounts. I was sleeved on 02/11/13 and was 262 on my day of surgery. I'm a slow loser, but I'm happy with my loss.