Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can we smoke 6 days after the procedure?

And there are tools to help you quit smoking just like surgery is a tool to lose weight.

I think sometimes my tone of love, sympathy, and encouragement gets lost in the ether. I don't like being attacked, tumblersmom. I don't know what you're going through right now but please, cut me some slack. Nothing I said was meant as an insult or an attack. Heck, I know all about spellcheckers too - I was just razzing you about the "riotous". Did you miss the smiley face? Get happy !

I am not going thru anything & I am happy. Very happy actually. I don't like to be attacked either. Op asked a question & I answered with my own experience & said I was not recommending it. There are so many people on here who think they are holier than thou & I get tired of it. I'm sorry that some people have lost people to lung cancer. So have I. I lost my grandmother to it. But I also lost my great grandmother (gmas mom) to it who had never smoked a day in life. The way I see it it's my life I'll do what I choose. Hell I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Ya know. Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking u but it's hard not to get defensive on this site anymore bcuz so many people think they have the right to judge everyone else just bcuz our decisions are not the same as theirs.

There is nothing like issues that question our morales to start a holy war. There are always going to be "us and them" or "them and us" so might as well come to peace over it. To drink / smoke / take drugs / etc is always going to be divisive like politics every 4 years. Everyone has a right to their own decisions in a free society, especially when it comes to decisions about their body. The exception is in my mind is if a decision going to harm them or harm others around them.

There is nothing like issues that question our morales to start a holy war. There are always going to be "us and them" or "them and us" so might as well come to peace over it. To drink / smoke / take drugs / etc is always going to be divisive like politics every 4 years. Everyone has a right to their own decisions in a free society' date=' especially when it comes to decisions about their body. The exception is in my mind if a decision is going to harm them or harm others around them.[/quote']

But fiddle smoking harms them AND people around them!

Sorry I just think its a nasty smelly habit! And yes I will tell you to your face if your smoking that **** around my children and they inhale it.

Ok I'm done :)

Oh and to the op you should always ask you doctor.

There is nothing like issues that question our morales to start a holy war. There are always going to be "us and them" or "them and us" so might as well come to peace Everyone has a right to their own decisions in a free society, especially when it comes to decisions about their body. The exception is in my mind if a decision is going to harm them or harm others around them.

Yep, just as everyone has a right to opine their thoughts, advice, and what-nots in a free society, especially when the OP asks for advice, thoughts and what-nots. Of course.. Hopefully, All in a cordial way

But fiddle smoking harms them AND people around them!

Sorry I just think its a nasty smelly habit! And yes I will tell you to your face if your smoking that **** around my children and they inhale it.

Ok I'm done :)

Oh and to the op you should always ask you doctor.

Yes, I am in agreement with you and am in the anti smoking group myself. I hate 2nd hand cig smoke. However, putting my bias aside, I still think people have a right to put things in their body if they wish, as long as it is not harming others. If it is truly causing harm, them yes, I agree that they should smoke in the privacy of their own home. However, if they are not causing harm and the smoke is merely annoying then they have a right as long as they are within the boundaries of the law ( in Washington, they need to be away 25 feet from public openings and cannot smoke in public buildings).

I am not going thru anything & I am happy. Very happy actually. I don't like to be attacked either. Op asked a question & I answered with my own experience & said I was not recommending it. There are so many people on here who think they are holier than thou & I get tired of it. I'm sorry that some people have lost people to lung cancer. So have I. I lost my grandmother to it. But I also lost my great grandmother (gmas mom) to it who had never smoked a day in life. The way I see it it's my life I'll do what I choose. Hell I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Ya know. Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking u but it's hard not to get defensive on this site anymore bcuz so many people think they have the right to judge everyone else just bcuz our decisions are not the same as theirs.

It's like this on every forum EVER. I've removed myself from some previously moderated sites and hotlines.

Welcome to the Internet.

There is nothing like issues that question our morales to start a holy war. There are always going to be "us and them" or "them and us" so might as well come to peace over it. To drink / smoke / take drugs / etc is always going to be divisive like politics every 4 years. Everyone has a right to their own decisions in a free society' date=' especially when it comes to decisions about their body. The exception is in my mind if a decision is going to harm them or harm others around them.[/quote']

I just love you to pieces! You're a good voice of reason.

Yes' date=' I am in agreement with you and am in the anti smoking group myself. I hate 2nd hand cig smoke. However, putting my bias aside, I still think people have a right to put things in their body if they wish, as long as it is not harming others.[/quote']

Oh most definitely! If they want to kill themselves slowly I say go for it! But with cigarettes in particular? They are harming others that just so happen to have the misfortune of standing, walking next to them or the poor children living with the person.

Edit;

Sorry guys I just don't like cigarettes....

If you are going to smoke than the sleeve is not for you. They will take your blood a few days before and if nicotine is in your system will tell you your to big of a risk:(

I quit 2 weeks prior to.meeting my surgeon....haven't touched one since its been almost a.month....but what if its still in my system come surgery like if i have surg next month????

It's like this on every forum EVER. I've removed myself from some previously moderated sites and hotlines.

Welcome to the Internet.

Please don't leave. :(

I quit 2 weeks prior to.meeting my surgeon....haven't touched one since its been almost a.month....but what if its still in my system come surgery like if i have surg next month????

I would call him tomorrow and ask - better to find out whether it's an issue or not now than to have him test you later and find out.

I think we have to be more sympathetic, I can imagine kicking 2 addictions(food and nicotine) in such a drastic fashion at the same time is very difficult. Same way people cheat on their pre op diet, it is hard to let go. Being judgemental about the person who is struggling with the process cant be helpful,kind of reminds me of how people judged us and our commitment to health because we are overweight.

I think we all know what is the correct or healthy thing to do and coming here for advice to fellow sleevers is the only way some can resolve the issues they have. The sleeve is the right choice, so is not smoking. We can support you through both processes of healing. You just have a more informed decision...

Here's the thing about having WLS and, indirectly, about quitting smoking, too. It's NOT about what you can "get away with." So all those folks saying they smoked the entire time, that it didn't impact their healing, etc are rationalizing what they did based on false assumptions. Sorry folks, you *can't* know how much faster you might have healed without smoking. Just because you didn't have any major complications does NOT mean it's ok to continue to smoke.

But lets leave the smoking issue behind for a moment. If YOU lost 100 lbs while drinking milk shakes and eating French fries, would you still recommend that to someone wanting to lose weight? Hopefully NOT! Because you would know that wasn't a healthy way to eat and even IF it worked for you, it's not going to work for a lot of other people.

I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't "beat anyone up" for smoking either before or after WLS. It is, after all, your choice. But wouldn't it be more supportive to encourage someone like the OP to stop vs saying "Well, I didn't, but I was fine!" Unless, of course, you're wanting to feel better about your choices...sort of a "misery loves company" attitude.

With WLS, you need to have the mindset that you'll do absolutely the BEST that you can. You're not going to be perfect, you don't changes the habits of a lifetime just because you had surgery. It takes time and work. BUT...if you have the attitude that you'll see what you can "get away with"...you'll push boundaries, see how much you can eat and how soon, etc.

So do your best to stop smoking and/or cut back as much as you can. Same with the pre-op and post-op diets and living life with WLS...don't look for excuses (well, someone else did it!) for poor choices, don't see how far you can bend the rules...instead, see how close to perfect you can get!