Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How will this be different?

I have no idea what the actual statistics are but a friend of mine works for a bariatric surgeon and he says it is startling at how many of the patients come in after surgery and tell them they are getting a divorce or that they have broken up with their partner after years of being together. I do think a strong relationship will withstand it but it is not to be dismissed because it does happen more than people realize. This is why my surgeon and NUT ask me about my relationship with my husband and his reaction before and after surgery. This surgery changes you and how you feel about yourself which can be dangerous to a lot of people who had no self-esteem before or who did not love themselves. I am no expert and this is just my opinion. I am thankful that my husband loved me before and he loves me now and he has been behind me all the way. It did take some education to get rid of the fear though! ;)

Hathery,

My insurance excluded all wls as well. I have previously been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and it's repair is covered. I called a surgeon here in Dallas TX...Dr. David Kim, and his office verified my benefits and said that since the hernia repair is covered, my portion to pay for ths sleeve will only be $5800. It is very possible that you need hernia repair as well. I have a consult Friday! I know you will find a way to do this for YOU!

Lori

~ L Nor in TX

This is a great idea. My surgeon repairs hernias in about 90 percent of his patients who receive VSG, because they are so common in people with obesity.

I think we all share similar experiences with food. I would eat everything on my plate and then help my wife finish her meal as well. I was also not a big snicker, I ate high calorie, high fat food and because of chronic pain did not move much because of it. I have had several surgery and still have pain but at least I am moving more now.

I had just opposite experience with my wife, she was the one who was onboard from the beginning. When I kept saying I can do this without surgery she supported me on my decision. When I lost 60, 70, 90,105lbs and gained it all back, she supported me. When I was ready to have surgery and fought my insurance company she was right there with me.

My wife told me she was happy that I had the surgery because she was tired of my struggles with my weight and she has known me for much of my life. Have a heart to heart with your husband and let him know that you and he can never be truly happy until you are happy with yourself. Trust me I have spent most of my life hating myself because I was of a normal weight like so many others. I too did not like my wife being viewed as a chubby chaser and we avoided, certain vacation places and activities because of my weight, she didn't want us to be uncomfortable. Tell him about all the things you and he will be able to do once you are lighter and will be able to stay that way for life.

Hathery,

I knew that I had a hernia because I started having really bad heartburn and went to a GI doc and he did an endoscopy. This was about 18 mos ago. I have to take ppi's daily. Many people have no symptoms from the hernia. Odds are good that you have one. I visited another surgeon yesterday. He is repairing my hernia and doing the sleeve for less than $3000.

Don't give up!!!!!

Lori

~ L Nor in TX

I am so happy for you!!!!!

~ L Nor in TX

That is fantastic! Get the hubby on board and you will be set!

He's on board, and even helping me find hotels ! :) We just gotta figure out how we're going to pay for the plane tickets and hotel. (this is all assuming I'm a candidate for the surgery, of course!)

Yay! Where did you decide to have your surgery?

Yay! Where did you decide to have your surgery?

Right now I'm thinking Dr. Borland in Louisiana. Since I'm self-pay, he has a really good price and he has lots of happy customers.

Just fyi...I was referred to Dr. Chris Cottrell here in Dallas by another VST member. I had my consult yesterday. I really like him, I know the surgeon that will assist & love the hospital where he will operate. I am only self pay for the sleeve part, ins will cover hernia. He is only charging me $2500. I don't know where you live, but thought I would throw that out there in case it helps anyone!

~ L Nor in TX

Just fyi...I was referred to Dr. Chris Cottrell here in Dallas by another VST member. I had my consult yesterday. I really like him, I know the surgeon that will assist & love the hospital where he will operate. I am only self pay for the sleeve part, ins will cover hernia. He is only charging me $2500. I don't know where you live, but thought I would throw that out there in case it helps anyone!

~ L Nor in TX

~ L Nor in TX

We are so lucky here in North Texas to have so many top bariatric surgeons. I was very happy with my surgeon and experience as well.

Sorry, y'all! Idk why my phone posted that multiple times.

~ L Nor in TX

Yeah, Texas seems to be the hot-spot for bariatric surgery!