Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm afraid I'll have gone through all of this, and they'll tell me I can't have the surgery

I'm afraid insurance won't cover it (they will).

I'm afraid my surgery date will be a hundred billion years from now.

I'm afraid of the liquid diet pre-op

I'm afraid of not 'being able' to eat slowly or 'sip' my drinks

I'm afraid not drinking before or after eating will suck (is that word acceptable?)

/sigh

I know these are for the most part unfounded fears, but I'm being honest here, right?

The one thing I'm not afraid of is the surgery itself. Ironic, eh?

your fears are not unfounded.. they are real fears for which we have all had at one time or another.. I think that after surgery you will change.. I didnt think I could do it either.. but your tummy wont let you..and will tell you enough is enough.. my taste buds changed.. I was too tired to worry about eating anything.. I just wanted to drink drink drink.. your stomach wont let you gulp.. you will get sick..and throwing up is no fun.. Ive not ever done it but from what ive read.. its painful very painful.. so dont doooooooooo it.. lol.. but anyways.. you will be fine.. I was ok after surgery..and when the pounds started melting away.. it was more motivation for me.. and Im like ok this wt is not going to come back..and ive been on a steady loss since surgery dec 20th.. more incentive for you.. ive lost 85lbs in 4 short months.. by following just what the dr said..and my nurse..and I have a great supporter in my husband.. he is wonderful.. he too had the surgery and he is like a stick now.. and has lost 87lbs..and looks fabulous.. I cant wait to be there too.. he is 15lbs from his goal wt.. now thats wonderful.. life is great after surgery..and I get to shop in a whole different department now.. im no longer a plus size anymore.. im like in reg clothes.. im like OMG OMG.. you can do this.. keep us posted and let us know how things are going.. great supporters here too.. we are here to help whenever we can.. best of luck to you :))))

Im afraid of the pre-op diet too!

And here's a new one....i'm afraid of an earthquake during surgery :(

But....I figure that's really reaching to find things to be afraid of, so i try to dismiss that one every time it pops in my head.

Ya.....the pre-op diet is pretty scary in and of itself ;)

I guess at some point ya just gotta " let go and let God "

Im afraid of the pre-op diet too!

Ya.....the pre-op diet is pretty scary in and of itself ;)

I guess at some point ya just gotta " let go and let God "

I know I can do the liquid diet, I just feel really bad for my family, co-workers, friends, strangers, people on the Internet, etc. because I'm going to be IRRITABLE!!!!!

I share your fears but I know that we can do it. The end result and the start of a different life will be worth it all. A year from now I'm sure you will be glad you went through it all.

Hey my surgery is April 30th... I started my pre op diet on 4/17... And tomorrow I only can drink clear liquids...so that sucks but my diet consist of 3 Protein Shakes a day and 6 servings of like cream Soup pudding salad that's pretty much it...the day of sucked because I went straight into to eating whatever to eating nothing....but the Protein shakes fill you up... Sometimes I forget to eat or am not hungry which I never thought that would happen!!! Two weeks may seem like forever when you have to be on this kind of diet and my surgery is Tuesday it flew by now I'm nervous for the surgery!!!

Also I was denied at first but I kept on it and a week after that I was approved! Do you have any insurance requirements...I had a ton!!

I only had to do the liquids the day before surgery - my insurance didn't require it. However, it is GOOD that you are AWARE of the fact that it's not a super-easy picnic after surgery - so many people assume that it's a magic pill of sorts, and that after surgery, it is totally easy. It is not. You must be committed to changing your lifestyle permanently. HOWEVER, all that being said, it is worth it! I go to a support group at my local hospital. Before I had the surgery, every single person in the group said that DESPITE all of the difficulties, they'd do it over again tomorrow without a thought! They all said that the benefits FAR outweigh the hardships. And now that I am 6 weeks out from surgery, I am beginning to see the light as well - it is totally worth it! The first week was very hard, and there have been ups and downs since then as I re-learn all of my eating/drinking habits. But at this point, I am 31 pounds down, and I am feeling great! I can no longer fit into anything in my closet, and I am getting ready to bring a ton of stuff to charity and a consignment store. I need to buy new clothes (in smaller sizes), but I am careful not to spend too much now, because I hope to lose a considerable amount more before all is said and done (like another 60 pounds or so). People I haven't seen since before the surgery are shocked when they see me. I went out to eat with a bunch of friends yesterday at a mexican restaurant. They all ordered these massive meals - and ate most of them. I ordered a salmon salad, and I ate about an ounce of salmon and was stuffed. They were all shocked. I thought to myself that 6 months ago, I would have ordered one of those platters with enchiladas, rice and Beans (and chips!), and I would have eaten most of it. Now, that meal alone is more calories than I eat in 3 days!! Once I got full on my salmon, it was totally easy to feel good about it!