Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Eating-too-fast syndrome".... anyone else?

Hi all,

I shared this long ago but what I did to help myself....especially in the beginning to LEARN to slow down and take smaller bites was to purchase an egg timer and I paced myself to it....I did not finish before the ticker.

The best help, was disposable CHOP STICKS. I became very good using them, carried them if I was eating out and it worked because the input was much smaller than forks (yup tried baby fork too)!

Smiles

This has been the hardest part for me. I'm lucky that I don't get sick when I'm done, I just get full quicker. Some tips that have helped me is using a regular plate and either a baby spoon or fork. In between bites, I'll make my powdered drinks, I'll pack my lunch for work or I'll wash a dish or two..anything that will take me longer to finish my food. Before you know it, I'm full before I even finish my entire plate. :)

Today I was rushed and ate too fast then next meal I ate too much too fast.When will I learn? it's been 3 mo since surgery and I am slacking off on the rules. I have to go back to writing it all down.

surgery Jan 9-3

pre op 298

day of surgery 270

current weight 219.

I've been successful so far so I need to be more diligent with what I eat, quantity and eating slower. Overall I'm really happy with my success.

I'm pre op but I think about this all the time. I know it's something I need to work on now. The other night I had, had a long day of clinicals. I had waited too long to eat and was so hungry. I grabbed my dinner and literally swallowed two bites without chewing and went "what are you doing STOP" I had to force my self to chew. It's so hard to break.

Same here. It's difficult to gauge how much I can eat until it's almost too late.

Same here...still got to sip or it hurts (and I want a good drink!) ...and whether I was thin/fat in the past, I eat quickly (struggle daily still )...

I am nearly 6 months out and still struggle to go slow sometimes and with me the consequence is it sometimes comes right back up:( I try to multitask while eating to slow myself down I am actually eating dinner as I am replying to this thread lol

Not had surgery yet, but am a slow eater. Always last one to finish. When I told my friends I would have to eat slower after surgery, they said they will download movies on their phones so they have something to do while waiting for me!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Not had surgery yet' date=' but am a slow eater. Always last one to finish. When I told my friends I would have to eat slower after surgery, they said they will download movies on their phones so they have something to do while waiting for me!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

I was a slower eater to begin with I have always been the last to finnish in any group even with little kids being forced to eat stuff they don't like.I have to eat MUCH SLOWER now try sloth like lol.

I am so bad at this, as I was reminded at dinnertime. Stomachache............

3 1/2 yrs post lapband and I still vomit about 3-4x a week from eating too fast. Not sure why I can't control my eating rate. I learned to eat fast in Army basic training. If you didn't eat in 5 mins, u didn't eat.

Plus my husband is a fast eater and I notice him eyeing my food after he's done. So I feel like I need to "protect" my food, so I eat fast also. Not good with a band.

Now that I'm revising to sleeve soon, I'm hoping to follow the rules better. I'm so afraid of leaks...

Oo..oo...me..over here..in the back...stuffing my face!! :ph34r: <--I have ninja food. One second it's on my plate and the next it's gone!

5 months out and I still struggle!

But at this point it doesn't hurt' date=' it just goes by to quickly. If I eat to fast I don't even get the satisfaction of enjoying the meal before I'm done then I'm left with a "what the heck" feeling :(

Best advice slow down and do better than I. :)[/quote']

Same here Laura. I'm a little over three months out.

5 months out and I still struggle!

But at this point it doesn't hurt, it just goes by to quickly. If I eat to fast I don't even get the satisfaction of enjoying the meal before I'm done then I'm left with a "what the heck" feeling :(

Best advice slow down and do better than I. :)

I SO agree with this! I find it helps if I have a novel while I'm eating. I take a bite, read a page, take a bite, etc. I haven't taken a full 30 minutes to eat a meal in ... oh... a month or two. It's definitely an issue. One of the problems being that I'm not dragging out the sensation of eating (totally an addiction thing, Thanks Laura-ven for that topic!), but also that I finish eating, and my body hasn't caught up to what I've eaten already, so I'm not satisfied, and may even still feel a bit empty (doesn't feel like what hungry used to).

i am 12 weeks out, never had a case of the foamies till last night. i was multitasking which is fine if you can concentrate and not wolf your own food down. i was trying to throw together food for some major members of my householdhousehold and first i munched on some roasted kale.....and then i Very quickly ate5 slices of meat sub. deli meat. i had the last bite in my mouth and felt the warning signs,should have spit it out but i swallowed it. for one hour horrible pain in my stomach and chest, then i burping....with each burp the taste of kale...gross....then i kept burping and i could feel it at top of my throat..then a mouth full of foam. happened for the next 10 minutes. big mouthfuls of foam. my stomach began to feel better slowly...then the hiccups. not nice . gonna try to slow down!