Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Eating-too-fast syndrome".... anyone else?

5 months out and I still struggle!

But at this point it doesn't hurt, it just goes by to quickly. If I eat to fast I don't even get the satisfaction of enjoying the meal before I'm done then I'm left with a "what the heck" feeling :(

Best advice slow down and do better than I. :)

i am constantly struggling withthat

I am almost 6 months post op, and yes, it's an every day struggle not to eat too fast, especially if I'm overly hungry or I've gone too long without eating. I feel like I still want to gulp down my food, but it's over so quickly, and then that uncomfortable feeling sets in :( I am not sure when this will resolve itself, but you're not alone, I still do it and instantly regret it almost daily.

I am 7wks porlst op and its still difficult to eat slow. Its a mind thing i know but anyone else struggling too?

I fear this happening to me after I have my surgery. Someone here mentioned an app for Android called "Eat Slower", I plan to lean on it heavily.

Yes! Every day. It's so hard to break old patterns of eating. Last night I had about 3 minutes to grab some food before I had to leave the house. Picked up a rib, crammed it down, and spent the rest of the evening wondering if I would explode.

Sorry I couldn't hear you - I was busy inhaling my lunch! HA!

Yes, it's a big struggle to slow down. Thankfully I am now trained for small bites, so that helps. I have to try really hard to slow it down.

OINK! ;)

The only time I get sick, is if I eat too fast. It doesn't matter the quantity. If I eat pretty much anything too fast (even just a couple bites), I'll throw up. After almost 6 months, I still get the occassional reminder to slow down.

Yup here, too.

I have to force myself to forget what is going on around me and think about eating. I have to put the fork down and chew to the point of ickyness before swallowing. Then wait a bit...then grab the fork again.

I have 63 years of wolfing down food to overcome.

5 months out and I do have to remind myself not to eat so fast. I sometimes take a bite and get up walk while I chew then sit down and do it again. I am really bad with waiting too long to eat and then I eat too fast. Good-luck

Omg me too!! Dr says take 20 mins to eat? Who needs 20 mins? I do it in 5... It's awful! I work in pharmacy and not a whole lot of time for lunch so inhaling food after so many years is a hard habit to break! So yeah, I'm workin on it still!

I so know the feeling! I eat too fast then it feels like its stuck in my throat! Then I wanna drink something to each it down!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I probably don't eat slow enough, and I don't chew like they said you should. Not that I'm inhaling or swallowing whole. It doesn't bother me at all, never got anything stuck, no pain, no puking, so I don't worry too much. I try to go slower...but it's just so unnatural for me. I thought I would be more compliant about this than I am! I feel the same either way, and I measure my food so I don't over eat.

I have always been a 30 second eater, iam struggling with it now,iam only 5 weeks out and I catch myself eating fast but not as fast as I used to eat,the weird thing it doesn't bother me . Someone else said it on here iam starting not to get the satisfaction out of my meal if I eat to fast.SLOW DOWN

I too struggle with speed-eating. I find that if I make sure to have a small snack, this helps me to not gavone like I've never eaten a meal before, but this has nothing to do with hunger! Especially when going out to a restaurant. It doesn't take long to eat 1/2 cup of food while everyone is having appetizers and gigantic portions of Entrees and sides (and desert and coffee). So, last week I have tried having a little wine when we dined out. I'ld have a teeny tiny sip, just to whet my lips and this seemed to help me eat my meal slower. Am I "supposed" to drink wine? No. Am I "supposed" to drink with my meals? No. But this has helped me with the psychological affects felt when dining out and feeling like a space alien and not feeling "normal" like everyone else! When you eat too fast, it's like getting a pea stuck in a straw....nothing can get past it. I've learned that if I chew better and slow down, I can eat twice as much, which is a good thing!