Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cross fit eating before and after - help

I know there are several of you cross fitters on VST that can help with this topic.

Here is what I am doing now.

Before:

2-4 energy squares. Lots of good carbs, Protein and good fats. Approx. 200 calories.

After:

Paleo bar of approximately 300 calories. 17g protein, 14g carb and 9 g fat.

3g Omega 3 - from stronger, faster, healthier.

1 tsp of creatine monohydrate

My day meals are:

Meal 1: Protein shake (extended release)

Meal 2: lean protein (3 oz)

Meal 3: lean protein (5 oz)

Meal 4: above - before

Meal 5: above - after

Meal 6: lean protein (4-5 oz), 2-3 oz veggy

Meal 7: casein Protein Shake.< /p>

7 meals on cross fit day baby! Of course drinking like a race horse all day.

My goal is to have the stamina and power to complete the WOD and get my name up there on the whiteboard list, higher each time. Right now, getting stronger and better each time I go and leaned out 6 lb this week.

I am looking for your comments on my before and after to kill my WOD and have energy the next day to run 5-10k. My last WOD was 30 minutes long and left me spread eagle on the mat huffing and puffing. Intense! :)

So far eating this way is working out pretty well and my mobility / flexibility is really improving, much better then even 2 weeks ago. Probably the super Omega 3 is helping me out there.

I can't help you, but I just started cross fit and your meal plan is helping me. Thanks. Good luck getting on the white board!!! And to smash 5-10km the day after cross fit day? I'm lucky if I can move from the bed to the bath.

I just did the "Dirty Thirty" today. It's only my second day back to Crossfit since having my gallbladder out 16 days ago. I'm struggling on what to eat before and after. I think I need more before and I have a good handle on the after I think. I eat strawberries and almonds before. Protein shake after with several grams of glutamine powder for recovery. Soon after I eat Protein and veggie. Then a Soup made with onions, peppers, Tomato and ground turkey. Greek yogurt with Protein Powder and then dinner is protein and veggie. And I'm drinking home brewed unsweetened caffeine free green tea. I can't even sit down on the toilet (not too much TMI, other cross fitters get it)!

Anyone else have ideas about this?

You're probably master crossfitter here and we'll be the ones taking your advise!! I'll have a yogurt, spoon of PB or 1/4 cottagecheese and a strawberry before (1hr) my sleeve can't tolerate much yet. It seems you're doing awesome! Yes I'm spent after and for recovery I do the same. Maybe cheese & turkey or egg salad. Are you replacing your electrolytes after??

No replacement of electrolytes after cross fit, but I do after running 8 miles or more on a run day.

As for master cross fitter, no,no,no...

I am a newbie cross fitter and just started getting into it a month ago with my PT, 2x a week. I purchased about 3 months worth of personal training so I can progressively get stronger effectively without hurting my self. I am not an open gym type yet and usually will waste an hour of training if I try and figure it out on my own. Love my personal trainer! She is helping me so much with seeing real gains. She is challenging me, pushing me and not allowing me to give up on that last lift when I want to cave. Or that last set of pull ups. Pull ups are hard for me and I hope they will be "easy" after a couple more months.

Strength is really building in upper body so I am able to do 100 lb Olympic lifts and back squats. Bench pressing is currently at 160 lb. I know this is not a lot yet, but am hoping to reach body weight lifts in a month or so and then go from there. I want to be that guy doing a single Olympic lift of 450 lb some day.

I can finally do squats with weights, lunges with weights, push ups, pull ups and more. It is exciting to see progress every time I step into a cross fit session. These are way easier then when I started just 3 weeks ago. I could never do these before, especially the lunges.

It is also helping I am taking supplements like 3 g Omega 3 and creatine monohydrate after a cross fit session. Thanks you to my VST fitness friends for recommending various supplements along the way. Paleo bar really helps in recovery even though on high calories side @ 300. 17 g carbs of raw honey. I am almost up to 1 g Protein / 1 lb body weight and that is helping tremendously in building the lean muscle ( not trying to bulk out like the muscle heads you see in supplement ads). I would not recommend eating this way if you are not near goal and do not have a rigorous training program. It works for me as my muscles need it during long runs and intense strength training sessions. And it is thrilling to see the scale moving again with the help of my hungry muscles.

I am hoping that by the end of 3 months I can confidently do open gym and kill any WOD. Maybe I will go for another PT package. Don't know at this time and will cross the bridge when it comes.

No replacement of electrolytes after cross fit' date=' but I do after running 8 miles or more on a run day.

As for master cross fitter, no,no,no...

I am a newbie cross fitter and just started getting into it a month ago with my PT, 2x a week. I purchased about 3 months worth of personal training so I can progressively get stronger effectively without hurting my self. I am not an open gym type yet and usually will waste an hour of training if I try and figure it out on my own. Love my personal trainer! She is helping me so much with seeing real gains. She is challenging me, pushing me and not allowing me to give up on that last lift when I want to cave. Or that last set of pull ups. Pull ups are hard for me and I hope they will be "easy" after a couple more months.

Strength is really building in upper body so I am able to do 100 lb Olympic lifts and back squats. Bench pressing is currently at 160 lb. I know this is not a lot yet, but am hoping to reach body weight lifts in a month or so and then go from there. I want to be that guy doing a single Olympic lift of 450 lb some day.

I can finally do squats with weights, lunges with weights, push ups, pull ups and more. It is exciting to see progress every time I step into a cross fit session. These are way easier then when I started just 3 weeks ago. I could never do these before, especially the lunges.

I am hoping that by the end of 3 months I can confidently do open gym and kill any WOD. Maybe I will go for another PT package. Don't know at this time and will cross the bridge when it comes.[/quote']

My neighbor started a neighborhood Crossfit so everything we do is outside or we take it to the park across the street. either way have many onlookers. I know what u mean about open gym and most embarrassing for me are burpees!! But hey hopefully soon I can perfect those. My 14 yr old son works out with me and we always go for a mile jog after. I'm sore in different areas on a daily basis but it feels so good!!!!

My neighbor started a neighborhood Crossfit so everything we do is outside or we take it to the park across the street. either way have many onlookers. I know what u mean about open gym and most embarrassing for me are burpees!! But hey hopefully soon I can perfect those. My 14 yr old son works out with me and we always go for a mile jog after. I'm sore in different areas on a daily basis but it feels so good!!!!

Burpees are pure evil!!! See a recent thread I posted on this. However, I am better at them now when just starting them.

When working out it is best to have an intense focus on your body and your WOD. Paying attention to others is only going to take away some of the effectiveness of the training. You must be focusing like a laser.

Some pre workout supplements can help with this like no explode, c4, b4 and others.

I take catalyst (amino acids) before every cross fit session and it helps in so many ways with exploding on the reps and getting through the sets with a good focus and intensity. It is important to have text book form ( or close to) or you will not get all the gains.

Focus on technique and breathing right before anything else.

Thanks for sharing!! It is good to hear from others on fitness experiences.

I know there are several of you cross fitters on VST that can help with this topic.

Here is what I am doing now.

Before:

2-4 energy squares. Lots of good carbs' date=' Protein and good fats. Approx. 200 calories.

After:

Paleo bar of approximately 300 calories. 17g Protein, 14g carb and 9 g fat.

3g Omega 3 - from stronger, faster, healthier.

1 tsp of creatine monohydrate

My day meals are:

Meal 1: protein shake (extended release)

Meal 2: lean protein (3 oz)

Meal 3: lean protein (5 oz)

Meal 4: above - before

Meal 5: above - after

Meal 6: lean protein (4-5 oz), 2-3 oz veggy

Meal 7: casein Protein Shake.< /p>

7 meals on cross fit day baby! Of course drinking like a race horse all day.

My goal is to have the stamina and power to complete the WOD and get my name up there on the whiteboard list, higher each time. Right now, getting stronger and better each time I go and leaned out 6 lb this week.

I am looking for your comments on my before and after to kill my WOD and have energy the next day to run 5-10k. My last WOD was 30 minutes long and left me spread eagle on the mat huffing and puffing. Intense! :)

So far eating this way is working out pretty well and my mobility / flexibility is really improving, much better then even 2 weeks ago. Probably the super Omega 3 is helping me out there.[/quote']

Any glutamine in there? Forgot to ask earlier. It's great and very recommended for muscle recovery.

No glutamine in my supplementation. Is it only for joint recovery or something else?

I can't really offer any help but I'm so impressed with your progress.... you've got me contemplating taking up crossfit. My biggest worry is my rickety knees. Is there a chance they'll make it worse or will they help it get better? Not to mention my utter lack of ability to do a push up, pull up, squat or lunge. Do they have a class for people who are that disfunctional?

I can't really offer any help but I'm so impressed with your progress.... you've got me contemplating taking up crossfit. My biggest worry is my rickety knees. Is there a chance they'll make it worse or will they help it get better? Not to mention my utter lack of ability to do a push up' date=' pull up, squat or lunge. Do they have a class for people who are that disfunctional?[/quote']

Anyone can do cross fit from out of shape, to athletic, to young, to old. That is the beauty of cross fit: you are always competing with yourself to improve your WOD time. The cross fit trainers work with you to help you get progressively stronger.

From what I can tell, cross fit gyms are not made up of very many people and everyone knows everyone else. We are all cheering each other on to get that last set, that last 100 m and so on. The work out is different every single time so offers perfect variety to prevent muscle memory.

You should be leaving each session feeling exhausted, but in a good way. It doesn't sideline me very much as I am back running a 10k the next day. supplements help a lot with performing during cross fit and recovering afterwards. Super Omega 3, catalyst and creatine are all supplements I use to help my strength, mobility and flexibility during cross fit. Protein shakes or paleo bars for recovery afterwards.

I am so much more flexible and stronger then when starting a month ago. It is amazing.

Give it a try!!

Another related question for the cross fitters / lifters (mark, dean, others): is there any harm in eating an extra good fat / good carb ( honey) early in the day to prepare for an after noon cross fit session?

This is in addition to the 3 regular small Protein meals (3 oz) preceding the session. I want to make sure my muscles have enough glucose in order to not bonk during the cross fit session. Extra meal would be a paleo bar of 300 calories that has 21 g fat, 22 g carb and 14 g Protein.< /p>

On cross fit days I also do 1-2 miles of hill running with weights and sprinting in the mid morning to get my blood moving. It is more of a quick HIIT then anything, but not designed to do anything but get my heart up for 5-10 minutes with a good sweat.

Standard meals before cross fit are between 100-150 calories of dense protein.

I think it is needed, but wanted to throw the question out there. Thanks!