Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice please, felt lightheaded in exercise class

I went to a new exercise class tonight (kettlebells) and felt lightheaded during the class and had to sit down. The class is more strenuous than the other exercise i do (UK class equivalent of curves 3 x a week). The problem might be the timing of the class (7.30pm) and eating. I had not eaten before the class (plenty of water) so I think this might be the issue. If I did need to eat before class what should I have? Protein, Protein Drink, banana? I am clueless so need your help.

Thanks

I have bumped this up as I realise that I post at a different time zone and it is easy for the post to slip down and be missed.

I would start out with some whey Protein about an hour before the class, it is digested faster than most others. You can also add some sort of drink like gatorade, even if you're trying to limit carb intake, these carbs will be directly used for fuel, and shouldn't have much if any effect on how your body reacts to them. Drink Water before, during, and after the workout as well.

I would start out with some whey Protein about an hour before the class, it is digested faster than most others. You can also add some sort of drink like gatorade, even if you're trying to limit carb intake, these carbs will be directly used for fuel, and shouldn't have much if any effect on how your body reacts to them. Drink Water before, during, and after the workout as well.

Good advice, and usually a good idea to ease into anything new, especially anything that's high on the intensity scale. Kettlebells are great for you! Just get the technique down before going crazy with them and not do like I did the first time I tried them a few years ago. That bump on my head lasted close to two weeks. :P

Hi UK Cathy,

Also check your blood pressure. It can drop quite dramatically following WLS. I have high blood pressure. A few months after my WLS, it dropped enough that I got to quit all meds. When it dropped, I would feel light-headed when getting up or bending over. Then even though I am at goal, it crept back up and I am again on two meds (I took three before the surgery),

Lynda

I was just about to say what Lynda said! A few years ago I found myself at an exercise machine, with a trainer, I couldn't see anything, I felt dizzy and light headed, saw spots, which turned to a tunnel and lights out. I could hear, I could talk, I thought for sure I was going to puke or pee my pants (I laugh about that now but at the time I really thought I was going too) it lasted a good 2-3minutes before everything reversed. It was my blood pressure.

I felt the same way yesterday while working with my fitness trainer. What she makes me do is VERY INTENSE. I almost passed out while resting from doing squats. (I didn't tell her until afterwards which she scolded me for). I think it could be a few reasons that might be affecting the both of us. I might not be getting enough nutrition or calories to support the intense exercise I'm doing. I have been struggling with getting over 800 calories and have recently found my balance and now am up to about 1000 calories a day. The night before I trained I also went to bed super early and hadn't eaten anything until right before training...so that could be another reason?

Dehydration is another possible reason. Are you drinking enough Water?

And weights can temporarily affect your blood pressure as mentioned above.

Also if you were using kettlebells, you probably were using mostly your leg muscles which we tend to push harder because they are such a large muscle group.

What I eat before I workout is a Protein Shake with a banana...actually I put one cup milk, 2 scoops of my whey Protein Powder, one apple banana, and some flax seed flakes...and drink half before my workout and half immediately after.

Good luck,

Let me know what works

Always eat something at least 1 hour before a workout. I try to have a greek yogurt or a Protein shake or bar. Also remember to breath! A lot of times when doing a new activity you are worried about your form and you forget to breath! Take a break if you need to, you may not be able to keep up with everyone right away and that is ok. Listen to your body!

Good Luck! I love Kettlebells :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will have something to eat before I go to next weeks lesson.