Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no Ibuprofen after surgery?

What can you do for head aches? I get fairly back headaches about once a month for consecutive days and I was just told that Ibuprofen and aspirin are off the list after surgery... Im worried.

Did your surgeon say they are off the list or did you hear it somewhere else? My surgeon does not limit the use of NSAIDs after VSG. If you take them after gastric bypass, he requires you to take a gastric-protective agent with them. That is one of the reasons I chose VSG over gastric bypass. My surgeon stays very current on the evidence-based literature, and that is what informs his treatment decisions. That is one of the reasons that I chose him as my surgeon. You should follow your surgeon's advice of course, though.

They told me to avoid them to prevent ulcers. I dont know if I could live with it lol its the one thing that helps.

They told me to avoid them to prevent ulcers. I dont know if I could live with it lol its the one thing that helps.

Did you ask about Tylenol? You can even get liquid Tylenol for right after surgery when you aren't supposed to swallow whole pills.

Tylenol does nothing for me so I didn't think to ask.

My surgeon said NO Nsaids after surgery BUT he did say that I MAY be able to take the Meloxicam that I took before 6 months after surgery, if I can tolerate it and have no other issues. I think in general they don't want you to take anything that could irritate your much smaller stomach lining, which Nsaids do.

My surgeon said NO Nsaids after surgery BUT he did say that I MAY be able to take the Meloxicam that I took before 6 months after surgery, if I can tolerate it and have no other issues. I think in general they don't want you to take anything that could irritate your much smaller stomach lining, which Nsaids do.

My surgeon says just because the stomach is smaller doesn't mean there is an increased risk of the stomach lining being irritated. I believe in everyone following his or her own surgeon's advice, but I was relieved to hear this, bc I couldn't imagine life not being able to take NSAIDs!

After you are healed there is no reason that you can't take them. You have to take it with milk or with food, but that is the case with everyone. I take Motrin all the time and have never had an issue.

^^ Same thing I was told at my 1.5 month check up. They told me there was nothing that could hurt me or my sleeve now and to resume eating healthy foods as I could. I asked about NSAIDS for joint relief due to work outs and biking/hiking, and she said I could take them as long as I still take my acid reducer and with food.< /p>

^^ Same thing I was told at my 1.5 month check up. They told me there was nothing that could hurt me or my sleeve now and to resume eating healthy foods as I could. I asked about NSAIDS for joint relief due to work outs and biking/hiking' date=' and she said I could take them as long as I still take my acid reducer and with food.[/quote']

I was really sick 3 months post op and my surgeon said to stay away from NSAIDs while I was dehydrated and very unwell, but once I was better, taking them occasionally wouldn't be a problem. I think it becomes an issue if you are taking several doses a day, for an extended period, as I would have been. I was advised to take codeine and paracetamol if it was to be ongoing.

My surgeon allows NSAIDS. I started taking them about 6 or 7 weeks post op. He does not allow it for RNY. It's one of the main reasons I chose this surgery. I take ibuprophen just about daily, though I try to limit it as much as possible for other reasons (hard on kidneys). I usually take about 400 mg daily.

My surgeon says absolutely NO NSAIDS and that is because you only have a very small surface of stomach left. If you do, by chance, get an ulcer, (and as a nurse I know that NSAIDS are a huge contributer to ulcers) there is no good tissue to work with if that ulcer progresses. It is a very dangerous and life threatening issue if it happens. It may not happen but why take the chance? My brother had Gastric Bypass 10 years ago, continued to take NSAIDS on occasion and has had 2 episodes of bleeding ulcer in the last 3 years. His surgeon, who is different than mine, is very concerned and has told him that one day it may start bleeding and can't be stopped, then his pouch will have to be removed. There are other options that you can explore. They don't usually cause a problem right away, it is down the road and when it shows up, it's trouble!

My surgeon says absolutely NO NSAIDS and that is because you only have a very small surface of stomach left. If you do, by chance, get an ulcer, (and as a nurse I know that NSAIDS are a huge contributer to ulcers) there is no good tissue to work with if that ulcer progresses. It is a very dangerous and life threatening issue if it happens. It may not happen but why take the chance? My brother had Gastric Bypass 10 years ago, continued to take NSAIDS on occasion and has had 2 episodes of bleeding ulcer in the last 3 years. His surgeon, who is different than mine, is very concerned and has told him that one day it may start bleeding and can't be stopped, then his pouch will have to be removed. There are other options that you can explore. They don't usually cause a problem right away, it is down the road and when it shows up, it's trouble!

This is what my surgeon told me.

There's a great article on this by a physician that cites the current evidence-based studies, but I can't link to it here. It's on Thinner Times and the software for this forum doesn't allow links to that site. However, if anyone is interested, please give it a Google. I like that it's not just subjective surgeon opinion and that it's based on the current evidence. The doctor who wrote the article says that people who would like to continue taking NSAIDs should get the VSG rather than a bypass (consistent with what my surgeon said). Obviously you should exercise common sense even when following your surgeon's instructions, by eating when you take them, regularly taking a gastric-protective agent, and not over-using the NSAIDs. I think sometimes doctors give VSG patients the same recommendations as they would for GB and don't customize them. Again, everyone should follow the instructions of his or her own surgeon and go with your own comfort level--but this is where I'm at. I am very comfortable taking NSAIDs post-VSG based on both my surgeon's research and clinical experience and on the current evidence-based clinical studies and analysis.