Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started my process in feb. Iv got everything done and iv lost 45lb since I started. Now they are telling me they want me to go to alcohol rehab because I drink. I only drink twice a month every other Saturday. I don't think I have a drinking problem by agreeing to what they want I'd be calling my self a alcoholic and I'm not I don't know what to do now

Well, many people drink a few times a month. do you drink alot when you drink? That sort of drinking - alot at once, is considered to be a major health risk.

Trust me when i say that alcohol is different post sleeve - you do not want to drink quantities as it will kick your butt. Maybe they see something that is concerning.

Yes I do drink a lot when I drink but I know that after the surgery it could kill me by doing that. So I won't drink at all. There is a lot of stuff I have to give up and I know that our I wouldn't be doing this surgery. But what they want me to do is 8week out patient. 4hrs a day 4 days a week. I think that's to much

Its not the insurance making me do this its the surgeon. I feel the 45lb iv lost already should show that I'm redacted to this. I could switch hospitals but then I'd have to start everything over and you know how long that takes.

Screw Insurance Go to Mexico.

Ok.. That made me laugh! I just don't understand how y'all can put up with the insurance BS. I'd go postal

I agree with the go to Mexico reply.

I guess I was lucky my insurance paid for mine , I just got my co pay bill which I was able to negotiate down. I had my surgery thru Penn Medicne which is a great hospital and they handled everything for me.

i feel like Lucky after reading this thread. Good luck to all

do drink a lot when I drink but I know that after the surgery it could kill me by doing that.

cant wait

I respectfully say that you must /should work on stopping drinking now - before surgery!!!!

I'm sure you are not an alcoholic, but..........

IMO i would listen to what the dr. said - he is looking out for you

after surgery you will have a lot to deal with

its great that you've been diligent with your food - already loosing 45 lbs!!! :)

good job!!!! :)

keeping in control of food and drinking Water PO, can be/ is hard enough for many/most :(

dealing with your alcohol at the same time would be extremely difficult :(

kindof like a smoker all of a sudden going cold turkey immediately PO

take care of any and all problems first, before surgery IMO

having to put off WLS for a bit, i agree what a bummer

you have your whole new life in front of you :)

but you should/need to improve your health

so once you have WLS - your health will only get better and better with weight loss

whatever you decide - i wish you well :)

good luck with everything :)

It may be that due to the risk of crossover addiction the docs are being proactive about your health and recovery. They are a neutral observer who may have picked up on something you cannot/will not see and want to help you nip it in the bud b4 it becomes a problem.

because wls is considered elective, the docs are obligated to reduce your post op risks as much as possible. heavy drinking, twice a month is risky, just like smoking or eating raw shellfish.

make your doc a deal. tell him or her you can stop drinking entirely now. if you arent sucessful, you'll agree to out patient treatment before surgery.

oh, i forgot to say, if your liver enzymes are elevated from drinking, your doc will need those to be normal before surgery. 6-8 weeks totally sober is about what you would need depending on how high they are. did he/she say anything about your liver profile?