Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couple new to the whole WLS. Our details, need advice!

2 People getting surgeries which one would work VSG or RNY?

Husband:

Weight: 360

Height: 6'1

Weight Goal: 220 (He is very broad.) All extra weight is in his stomach.

Eating habits: Bored eating, quantity eater, Sometimes emotional eater but not as much as the other two.

Current Health issues:

-Severe sleep Apnea

-Congestive Heart Failure with high Blood pressure

-Stasis wounds which leads to also joint and nerve pain.

-GERD

Past health issues:

-Adrenal gland removal (tumor)

-Umbilical hernia in stomach.

Thoughts on surgeries: Worried about get additional hernias with RNY. Does not want dumping syndrome. However, likes how RNY does weight loss. Does not know alot about the sleeve except that weight loss is slower. He has emotional eating sometimes and would like to stop.

Myself:

Weight: 322

Height: 5'5

Weight goal: 115-135 Weight is all over.

Eating Habits: Does not eat a lot and has done less then 1200 calories her whole life. Never feels really hungry and eats about 1 meal a day. Does get boredom eating sometimes, and a bad emotional eater.

Current Health issues:

-High Blood Pressure with high heart rate

-Celiac's Disease when I eat gluten I bloat and gain weight rapidly.

-Frequent sprains in back and legs, unknown reasons.

-Insulin resistance and already taking Metformin.

-PCOS with infertility. (4 chemical pregnancies)

-Severe GERD with esophagus damage.

-Digestive system fails and food does get stuck.

Past Health:

-Gallbladder surgery

-And all of the above.

Thoughts on surgeries: Thinking RNY would be good for my insulin resistance. I already have food getting stuck though. My digestive system is a mess, and when i do take metformin I do develop dumping syndrome on my own. I am worried about RNY and thinking about Sleeve due to wanting to have 3 children, and afraid of the Vitamin issues. Think the sleeve might not be an option since I already eat so little, and I have Severe GERD.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION!

We will be doing self-pay and going to Tijuana. Could you please tell me the expected recovery time as we have to drive 12 hours one way from our home and back. Is that possible even?

Was looking into A lighter Me. (Spoke with Rhonda.) We need many doctor recommends! Price is a factor as we are both college students and I would like to get this surgery done together. How soon could we return to work and class? I am assuming VSG might not be for me as I have severe GERD, and I don't eat a lot. I am afraid of regain as i would like to have three children once WL is achieved. SO HELP! (I am a little desperate since I posted on many other sites and never got responses.)

Welcome to the forum. I was sleeved Jan 12, 2013 in Tijuana and it was the best decision I could have made. The best advise is to do your research and ask a lot of questions. Keep in mind that just because you pay more doesn't mean your going to have a good experience. It only means the doctors charge more because they have a higher overhead. I was sleeved by Dr. Sergio Quinones in TJ and I truly feel that he is one of the best qualified surgeons that are in Tijuana. If you would like to know about my experience with Dr. Quinones, please feel free to message me. I also would like to invite you to join our Facebook Support group. It is set to secret so none of your friends/family on your FB page will know you are a member of the group or see any post you make. Our group is VERY active with over 350 members that offer great information and tons of support. If you would like to check out my group search for me on FB stacyeckel@gmail.com send me a message (it will go to my "other" folder) and I will add you to our group. Good luck on your journey,

Contacted you on FB!

I cannot say enough good things about Dr Fernando Garcia and Ready4Achange.com staff... I was so well cared for, i did same day sirgery and had my 2 hospital nights then 3 hotel nights and feel amazing! The staff was always there for me, Dr Garcia and the medical staff were truly caring, I spent time with them and I can highly recommend them, they had done a couple the day before I had mine who were recovering amazing!!

I cannot say enough good things about Dr Fernando Garcia and Ready4Achange.com staff... I was so well cared for, i did same day sirgery and had my 2 hospital nights then 3 hotel nights and feel amazing! The staff was always there for me, Dr Garcia and the medical staff were truly caring, I spent time with them and I can highly recommend them, they had done a couple the day before I had mine who were recovering amazing!!

I got Quinones, Lopez, Garcia, and Averaz so far. (Sorry for mispelling.)

i used alvarez he did a good job and was worth the extra money

Hi T & T, welcome.

First of all lets be very clear, this is a sleeve forum, and most of us are partial to the sleeve. That being said, the sleeve is quickly increasing in popularity, and is slowly overtaking RNY as the "gold standard" of WLS.

A few things to consider here is that weight loss from RNY & VSG have proven to be very comparable. However unlike RNY your stomach (pouch) is nearly impossible to stretch. Many people who have RNY end up regaining their weight mostly due to not addressing the underlying emotional issues. Another thing to consider is with the removal of a considerable amount of your intestine, and your pyloric valve(RNY), not only will your recovery be harder, it created lifelong intolerances to certain medications & foods, and even medications that you wouldn't have an intolerance to would have to be more closely monitored, due to the fact that your body will not be able to absorb them as efficiently.

My personal belief is that VSG is the best option for anybody that is going to undergo WLS. It is less invasive than RNY, & if needed in the future, a duodenal switch could be added to the VSG to add the malabsorption part(the vast majority of people will never come close to needing DS). And to be honest, the band is a temporary solution, and not a reliable one at that.

You did bring up the issue of GERD, and esophogeal damage. I would highly recomend being examined, and get a professional determinationas to whether the damage you have precludes you from getting the surgery. I will say though with what I understand of the procedures I cannot imagine anybody being a good candidate for RNY being unfit for VSG.

Another thing I really want you to consider, is counseling. Please don't take this wrong, I am NOT calling you crazy, we all have underlying issues that have brought us to where we are at, for some of us, it's simply growing up in an American society where food is so prevolant, overheating is just normal, and we need to reset our minds as to what a "normal" portion is. For others we are emotional eaters, when we are happy, we eat birthday cake, eat huge steaks, and chicken dripping with barbecue sauce with potato salad & chips. When we are hurt, Ben & Jerry come to the rescue. Hell, I've been known to wolf down a few chili dogs & frito pies just out of boredom, God forbid, don't let my wife make cheesecake (she makes cheesecake factory look like Sara Lee) I just can't seem to leave it alone.

As for the 12 hour drive, I'd say, save a bit more and plan on staying in Mexico 2-4 extra days, it'll make a world of difference. Then plan on making the return trip a 2 day event. This is all being said assuming that you insist on driving. My better option would be to fly in, I'm guessing you are concerned about the cost of flying, round trip tickets can usually be had for under 500 per person, and if it's a size problem, and you are concerned about being required to purchace extra seats(I don't really think you'll have this happen), the fact that you are flying together would mean that if you sat together 1 extra seat would provide ample space. I'll apologies now, for the whole flying thing sounding insensitive, but I really believe you should consider it. 12 hours of driving tells me that you are about 800 miles away, that's a long trek just a few daydream post op, and the 3-4 extra hotel nights , and other road costs would likely bring the cost to nearly the same.

The fact that you eat 1200 cal/day and still have ended up here really concerns me. There simply has to be more to this. Unless you have some other medical issues it's nearly impossible to gain weight at 1200 calories a day. Are you sure you sure you are calculating your caloric intake correctly? Some common mistakes are misjudging portion size, for example a portion size of chicken is 3oz, if you eat 1 breast you are usually consuming 2-3portions, not including Condiments, breading are also calories that are often not included. When you order a salad at Wendy's their calorie count does not include croutons, or dressing. And there was my demon, are you counting the calories you drink? I was drinking 1500+ calories a day. Orange juice, Gatorade, sweet teas, and Dr. Pepper were my biggest unidentified problems.

As for returning to class or work, I would plan on 3 weeks, unless your job requires lifting then 6 weeks. I personally felt I could have returned to work after less than a week, but I took 3 off anyhow.

I hope this helps you in your decision, let me know if I missed anything.

I don't know enough about RNY to voice my opinion on that surgery. I went to Mexico and used Dr Fernando Garcia(be careful there is more that one Dr Garcia). I used Ready4Achange. You are required to send in a medical history form that the Doctor reviews before giving his okay. This is where, based on your health issues, what the decision will be. Don't go by what we say the doctor is the expert. Dr Garcia can also perform an endoscopy in Mexico and will be able to see how much damage you have to your esophogus and if he can do the surgery.

You only eat 1200 calories but weigh over 300 pounds? I agree that you need psychological councelling. How about tracking either on line or in a journal how much you eat every day; you may surprise yourself.

Best of luck to you and your husband

I don't know enough about RNY to voice my opinion on that surgery. I went to Mexico and used Dr Fernando Garcia(be careful there is more that one Dr Garcia). I used Ready4Achange. You are required to send in a medical history form that the Doctor reviews before giving his okay. This is where, based on your health issues, what the decision will be. Don't go by what we say the doctor is the expert. Dr Garcia can also perform an endoscopy in Mexico and will be able to see how much damage you have to your esophogus and if he can do the surgery.

You only eat 1200 calories but weigh over 300 pounds? I agree that you need psychological councelling. How about tracking either on line or in a journal how much you eat every day; you may surprise yourself.

Best of luck to you and your husband

Hi T & T, welcome.

First of all lets be very clear, this is a sleeve forum, and most of us are partial to the sleeve. That being said, the sleeve is quickly increasing in popularity, and is slowly overtaking RNY as the "gold standard" of WLS.

A few things to consider here is that weight loss from RNY & VSG have proven to be very comparable. However unlike RNY your stomach (pouch) is nearly impossible to stretch. Many people who have RNY end up regaining their weight mostly due to not addressing the underlying emotional issues. Another thing to consider is with the removal of a considerable amount of your intestine, and your pyloric valve(RNY), not only will your recovery be harder, it created lifelong intolerances to certain medications & foods, and even medications that you wouldn't have an intolerance to would have to be more closely monitored, due to the fact that your body will not be able to absorb them as efficiently.

My personal belief is that VSG is the best option for anybody that is going to undergo WLS. It is less invasive than RNY, & if needed in the future, a duodenal switch could be added to the VSG to add the malabsorption part(the vast majority of people will never come close to needing DS). And to be honest, the band is a temporary solution, and not a reliable one at that.

You did bring up the issue of GERD, and esophogeal damage. I would highly recomend being examined, and get a professional determinationas to whether the damage you have precludes you from getting the surgery. I will say though with what I understand of the procedures I cannot imagine anybody being a good candidate for RNY being unfit for VSG.

Another thing I really want you to consider, is counseling. Please don't take this wrong, I am NOT calling you crazy, we all have underlying issues that have brought us to where we are at, for some of us, it's simply growing up in an American society where food is so prevolant, overheating is just normal, and we need to reset our minds as to what a "normal" portion is. For others we are emotional eaters, when we are happy, we eat birthday cake, eat huge steaks, and chicken dripping with barbecue sauce with potato salad & chips. When we are hurt, Ben & Jerry come to the rescue. Hell, I've been known to wolf down a few chili dogs & frito pies just out of boredom, God forbid, don't let my wife make cheesecake (she makes cheesecake factory look like Sara Lee) I just can't seem to leave it alone.

As for the 12 hour drive, I'd say, save a bit more and plan on staying in Mexico 2-4 extra days, it'll make a world of difference. Then plan on making the return trip a 2 day event. This is all being said assuming that you insist on driving. My better option would be to fly in, I'm guessing you are concerned about the cost of flying, round trip tickets can usually be had for under 500 per person, and if it's a size problem, and you are concerned about being required to purchace extra seats(I don't really think you'll have this happen), the fact that you are flying together would mean that if you sat together 1 extra seat would provide ample space. I'll apologies now, for the whole flying thing sounding insensitive, but I really believe you should consider it. 12 hours of driving tells me that you are about 800 miles away, that's a long trek just a few daydream post op, and the 3-4 extra hotel nights , and other road costs would likely bring the cost to nearly the same.

The fact that you eat 1200 cal/day and still have ended up here really concerns me. There simply has to be more to this. Unless you have some other medical issues it's nearly impossible to gain weight at 1200 calories a day. Are you sure you sure you are calculating your caloric intake correctly? Some common mistakes are misjudging portion size, for example a portion size of chicken is 3oz, if you eat 1 breast you are usually consuming 2-3portions, not including Condiments, breading are also calories that are often not included. When you order a salad at Wendy's their calorie count does not include croutons, or dressing. And there was my demon, are you counting the calories you drink? I was drinking 1500+ calories a day. Orange juice, Gatorade, sweet teas, and Dr. Pepper were my biggest unidentified problems.

As for returning to class or work, I would plan on 3 weeks, unless your job requires lifting then 6 weeks. I personally felt I could have returned to work after less than a week, but I took 3 off anyhow.

I hope this helps you in your decision, let me know if I missed anything.

So on the calorie thing. I eat once a day... If that. 700 calories is my normal and that is with me tracking my food for weeks. Its really hard for me to eat more. I have been around this weight for years. I also don't eat like everyone else. I am allergic to gluten. So I have no processed foods. I don't drink soda ether. I also am already on a low salt, and low sugar intake because I am insulin resistant. So I already take diabetic drugs. What my body does is stays in starvation mode and everything I do eat gets put into fat. I am literally unable to exercise at this point and time. If I do eat gluten (When I am depressed) I can weight rapidly like 10 lbs in a week.So I want to do something extreme to help me there.

I mentioned RNY, as because I want to know if people hate having the GERD issues and thought RNY would of better as well as losing more weight. Someone mentions RNY would be better for me because it would burn off my stored fat. However, because I have Celiac's already, I already have trouble with some malabsorption issues.

Edit- I got to this weight because I ate gluten 25 years of my life. My digestive system is slow and really hard for me to eat a lot as it exhausts me.

Ok, let's look at the difference between VSG & RNY.

VSG: basically removes the soft stretchy tissue (fondus) from your stomach, leaving you with a stomach that is about 15-20% it's original size, & is very unlikely to stretch.

RNY: is performed by cutting your stomach away from your esophagus & intestine. Then a pouch is fashioned from the fondus (the stretchy part). Then the pyloric valve ( this is what controls the movement of food from the stomach to the intestine) and several feet of the intestine are removed, this is what creates the malabsorption component of RNY. Then the pouch is reattached to the esophagus and intestine.

There is nothing in either procedure that will actually burn fat. And knowing that you already have malabsorption issues really tells me that if I were in your shoes, there is no way in hell I'd consider a procedure that would add additional malabsorption. I'd fear that it would make proper nourishment nearly impossible.

To be honest, I am genuinely concerned for you, first of all eating on e a day is a really bad habit. This can in itself put your body into "starvation mode". But in reality you say that you consume between 700-1200 calories a day. If this is truly accurate, then I would not recommend any WLS till such a time as you know why you aren't already losing weight. Your Base Metabolic Rate is over 1200 calories. This means if you did nothing but exist your body would burn more than 1200 calories a day hence losing weight.

I very much agree with OTR... However I had VSG on march 20, best decision I ever made. I am a snacker and if I taste something really good. I won't stop until it is gone. However, since my surgery (in Tijuana with Dr Ariel Ortiz...who is amazing along with his wonderfully amazing staff!!!) I can actually feel when I am getting full and it makes me not want to take another bite because once I pass that threshold fun things do not happen. I also never feel hungry. While this is different for everyone, I have to actually make it a point to eat at the proper times. It is also hard because I really do not crave anything anymore. I am a floor nurse and I returned to work 5 days after surgery. I was a little fatigued at first but after my first week back I was ok. I have had zero complications and i am so far very pleased with my results. i had a lower BMI but i have lost 23 pounds so far.I know nothing about RNY except all the re routing stuff. I did not want any of that. However I met a couple in Tijuana, who had VSG a year ago. Both were over 300 pounds and now look amazing. They were there to have their extra skin removed. They both were extremely happy with their outcomes. You both have some seriousI medical conditions make sure you research and get as much information as possible. Also, make sure all your questions are answered to YOUR satisfaction. hope this helps.