Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Introduction Planning VSG in MX

Good evening, everyone.

First, I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone that has taken the time to share their detailed stories. I have found them both informative and inspiring. Deciding to have surgery in Mexico is a daunting decision, and family/friend support is a bit....minimal. It's so great that there is a forum here to read about other peoples experience and feel the support that might otherwise be lacking. In addition, it is so helpful to learn from others who have "been there, done that". Real people with real experiences really help.

My name is Veronica, and I live in the Pacific NW. I have decided to have the VSG in Mexico for two reasons: financial and lack of access with my current insurance company (Kaiser). I do not qualify based on their rigid standards - even though I have pre-diabetes, asthma and GERD (and of course, the general aches and pains that come from being overweight) . I have been researching this decision for the last several months, and due to monetary issues, I may not be able to get it done until next March, but I think I may be able to swing it for later this summer. At least, I am hopeful that I can. :)

I have been overweight for about 15 years, and each year it just seems to get worse. I am 41 years old and I have an almost 2 year old daughter - I want to be healthy for her and have the energy to keep up with her. I also have a 21 year old son. I just want to feel better about myself. It's been discouraging to struggle with obesity, as I am sure many of you can relate to. I am currently 5'7.5" tall and weigh about 252 lbs, so my BMI is 39, I believe.

My preference would be to go with Dr. Aceves, but I have also been considering Dr. Ariel Ortiz Lagadere. For a couple of weeks, I have also been considering Dr. Lopez with A Lighter Me and MiDoctor hospital but after reading 2 independent and very disturbing reviews about the them, I am no longer comfortable with that option. Finances, of course, influence my decisions, but safety and service have great precedence.

I would love to hear about the physician you chose, and why, ultimately, what your experience with them was.

I am so happy to be a part of this group. Thank you in advance for all your guidance.

Sincerely, Veronica

I had my VSG in Mexico with Dr Pronce. (See link below) I had no problems and I have lost 131 in 11 months.

Hi Veronica - welcome! I used Dr. Ariel Oritz and blogged about my experience. You are welcome to read the blog which details out my experience. The ONLY reason I didn't go to Dr. Aceves is that the State department had a "defer non-essential travel" warning for Mexicali, but not Tijuana. Dr. Aceves is a great surgeon (and there are MANY in Mexico). Good luck! www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com

I am planning to give a true detailed count of absolutely everything about this trip as I am in Tijuana now and being sleeved by dr Ortiz today. As I was researching I found it to be most helpful by reading others. Dr Ortiz was the only one I felt comfortable with at the end of the day. Keeping my fingers crossed that I was right. So far, so good. I'm in the lobby of the Marriott waiting for the driver to take me there.

I had my surgery with Dr Ponce. He and his staff are beyond professional and experienced. While doing your research be sure to look into the Cordinator they use because this alone can make or break your satisfaction. Trish is Dr Ponce's Cordinator and she is an ace/10 in ratings. DO NOT GO WITH PRICE ALONE.. This can lead to huge disappointment. Prayers to you and Good luck!

Hi everyone. :) Thanks for your replies. I've read a lot about Trish :), she seems like a fantastic coordinator. I should revisit my research on Dr. Ponce - I can't remember why I was thinking "no" about him. Hoosiergirl - I read your blog, and I was so impressed and thankful for all of your information. Although my top choice is Dr. Aceves, at this point, I am really considering Dr. Ortiz as a more realistic and very acceptable alternative. I definitely don't want cost to be my deciding factor, however. Thanks again, everyone!

Good evening, everyone.

First, I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone that has taken the time to share their detailed stories. I have found them both informative and inspiring. Deciding to have surgery in Mexico is a daunting decision, and family/friend support is a bit....minimal. It's so great that there is a forum here to read about other peoples experience and feel the support that might otherwise be lacking. In addition, it is so helpful to learn from others who have "been there, done that". Real people with real experiences really help.

My name is Veronica, and I live in the Pacific NW. I have decided to have the VSG in Mexico for two reasons: financial and lack of access with my current insurance company (Kaiser). I do not qualify based on their rigid standards - even though I have pre-diabetes, asthma and GERD (and of course, the general aches and pains that come from being overweight) . I have been researching this decision for the last several months, and due to monetary issues, I may not be able to get it done until next March, but I think I may be able to swing it for later this summer. At least, I am hopeful that I can. :)

I have been overweight for about 15 years, and each year it just seems to get worse. I am 41 years old and I have an almost 2 year old daughter - I want to be healthy for her and have the energy to keep up with her. I also have a 21 year old son. I just want to feel better about myself. It's been discouraging to struggle with obesity, as I am sure many of you can relate to. I am currently 5'7.5" tall and weigh about 252 lbs, so my BMI is 39, I believe.

My preference would be to go with Dr. Aceves, but I have also been considering Dr. Ariel Ortiz Lagadere. For a couple of weeks, I have also been considering Dr. Lopez with A Lighter Me and MiDoctor hospital but after reading 2 independent and very disturbing reviews about the them, I am no longer comfortable with that option. Finances, of course, influence my decisions, but safety and service have great precedence.

I would love to hear about the physician you chose, and why, ultimately, what your experience with them was.

I am so happy to be a part of this group. Thank you in advance for all your guidance.

Sincerely, Veronica

Hi Veronica!

Our stats are nearly identical, but I'm a tiny bit shorter than you are. :) My starting weight was 252 and I'm right at 5'6.5" tall.

I'm relatively early post-op...not quite three weeks out.

My doctor was Dr. Illan, who isn't quite as well known on the boards as he recently moved a practice with another bariatric surgeon to perform them on his own. There are a handful of us, though, who have had surgery with him in the past 6 or so months and frequent the forums.

Of course, the vast majority of us who are post-op and satisfied with our experiences love our doctors. I adored Dr. Illan and his coordinator. I received amazing care! Although it wasn't the deciding factor, it certainly didn't hurt that his price was within my budget.

It is a tough decision to make; good luck making yours.

~Kat

The only thing that made me somewhat uncomfortable about going to Dr. Ponce is that he doesn't speak English, but I've read wonderful reviews from people that have went to him! I am leaning towards Dr. Aceves in June if I can get the money saved up! :)

Dr. Fernando Garcia via Ready 4 a Change did my surgery and I only had it done a few days ago (April 11) I spent an entire year researching VSG in Mexico and like someone posted PLEASE do your research as far as finding a credible coordinator because that can factor the entire outcome of your care while in Mexico!!!

I'm Dr Sergio Quinones. He has a pretty darn perfect record,a nd I was treated like royalty. I loved his credentials, and while he did my surgery he checked my Gall Bladder, Kidneys, and Liver. Just a very thorough guy, I can't thank him enough:)

Msjazzldy,

Were you please with Dr. Garcia and your Ready4change experience? They are on my short list.

I can definitely see that research is the key.There are so many surgeons to choose from, not too mention coordinators. I am going to continue to read through the boards (and obesityhelp.com), but I *think* I know who I will ultimately go with. I wish I could have the surgery NOW! I can' believe I have waited so long already. :)

I went with Dr. Garcia after watching his videos, asking previous patients. I was sleeved on March 29 and so happy with my results, the team and coordinators! Everyone was so great. I felt comfortable and well cared for the entire time, which was great because I went alone