Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had the surgery on April 8th, 2013. My experience in the hospital was not very good as I was given too much pain medication and my oxygen level went down to 40 and they had to give me medicine to counteract the pain meds, and put me in a seizure. This was the scariest thing I have ever been through in my life and shook me up so much that I have avoided pain meds while being home. I'm really not in much pain though, just worried about not getting enough calories.

My dietician never said how many calories is "normal" on the full liquids diet, but I'm lucky to be getting between 3-400 calories in a day. I am worried that this is not healthy and I also got very dizzy last night. I'm scared of getting dehydrated and having to go into the hospital. I'm trying really hard to get my Water and Protein in, but it weighs so heavily on my stomach, it's a huge ordeal. My goal today is to really focus on getting all the water and protein in no matter what I have to do.

5 days post-op and feeling a bit of anxiety about everything! Please help and tell me it will get better! :/

I just had the surgery on April 8th' date=' 2013. My experience in the hospital was not very good as I was given too much pain medication and my oxygen level went down to 40 and they had to give me medicine to counteract the pain meds, and put me in a seizure. This was the scariest thing I have ever been through in my life and shook me up so much that I have avoided pain meds while being home. I'm really not in much pain though, just worried about not getting enough calories.

My dietician never said how many calories is "normal" on the full liquids diet, but I'm lucky to be getting between 3-400 calories in a day. I am worried that this is not healthy and I also got very dizzy last night. I'm scared of getting dehydrated and having to go into the hospital. I'm trying really hard to get my Water and Protein in, but it weighs so heavily on my stomach, it's a huge ordeal. My goal today is to really focus on getting all the Water and Protein in no matter what I have to do.

5 days post-op and feeling a bit of anxiety about everything! Please help and tell me it will get better! :/[/quote']

Don't push it so early on tho. The calories you are gettin is about normal at this stage and you will be able to up them as you heal. Drinking lots of fluids.... Water, broth, whatever will keep you hydrated. It's like having the flu. You don't eat much but stay hydrated and you will start to feel better;)

Just go slow, make sure you are drinking Water. If you can't get anything else in water!! I was pretty dehydrated when i came home and it was awful! Don't worry about calories just go slow and sip, all day long

I just had the surgery on April 8th, 2013. My experience in the hospital was not very good as I was given too much pain medication and my oxygen level went down to 40 and they had to give me medicine to counteract the pain meds, and put me in a seizure. This was the scariest thing I have ever been through in my life and shook me up so much that I have avoided pain meds while being home. I'm really not in much pain though, just worried about not getting enough calories.

My dietician never said how many calories is "normal" on the full liquids diet, but I'm lucky to be getting between 3-400 calories in a day. I am worried that this is not healthy and I also got very dizzy last night. I'm scared of getting dehydrated and having to go into the hospital. I'm trying really hard to get my Water and Protein in, but it weighs so heavily on my stomach, it's a huge ordeal. My goal today is to really focus on getting all the Water and Protein in no matter what I have to do.

5 days post-op and feeling a bit of anxiety about everything! Please help and tell me it will get better! :/

I'm only getting about 3-400 calories in now and I'm almost 3 weeks out, eating food, and have been back to work for a few weeks. Focus on fluids and the dizziness should go away. GL!

I am glad this post was made. I have been getting literally less than 100 calories a day but I am sipping Water and Crystal Light. I am burping and the gas is moving out finally. I am going to attempt some broth this morning.

Sipping is a full time job but just tiny sips or steady little spoonfuls of crushed ice chips work too. If you have a Sonic in your area they sell their ice and it is the perfect little pellet size. Cold liquids helped me best but some folks found warm worked for them so maybe try different temps and see what your new tiny tummy likes. Like the posters said, not to worry about the calories right now, just liquids and if you can Protein. Maybe try Isopure if you have not. They are considered a clear liquid and they are 2 oz of Protein for each oz. and have different flavors. It will count as protein and Water and get some much desired calories.

For me, even though I had an easy time of the surgery and recovery, I had a complete meltdown about 5 days out. I think everything just caught up with me and from what others have said, its pretty normal.

So glad you are ok from your ordeal, I can't imagine how scared you were so give yourself some time. :)

experience in the hospital not good

StefanieT

sorry you had problems in the hospital with the pain meds :angry:

glad that was finally resolved :)

glad you aren't in pain now and don't need to take meds at home :)

you should speak with your NUT

she can help you with info concerning calorie intake, drinking, Protein requirements - her assistance will hopefully help your anxiety issue :)

right now just concentrate on getting as much Fluid as possible - essential

many of us have gone through the experience of dehydration (raising my hand :( ) no fun!!!!

have to go to the hospital for iv to get rehydrated :o

don't worry about the Protein yet (course the Protein shakes would be great if you can keep them down)

drink, sip - but really make yourself drink!!!!!

protein will come soon

you will gradually feel better - hopefully each day will be easier :)

take care

good luck

Sorry to hear you had some bumps in the road.. It does get better! As you will find on here everyone has had different post op guides to follow. I was not allowed any Protein for two weeks post op. just clear fluids, I didn't focus on calories but rather just ensuring I was able to get my Water. i did not encounter any health concerns following these guidelines. just keep sipping and it will all fall into place. If you need more reassurance I would give your nut a call. Best of luck and it does get better :)

Hey stefanie, I had surgery sane day as you. I am sorry to hear about your complications that really dies sound scary. I am not worried about calories at all at this point and I am on full liquids. I have has done good/bad days. In like day 3 I could only get 13 ounces and should be getting 48-64oz. I am still not near that but trying. I can tell you life saver for me us SF Popsicle they seem to go down w/ ease and they count for 2oz of Fluid. If you can do one every hour or every other that would help. I hope things get better for you and listen to your body. Just try the best you can and keep on eye in the color and frequency of urine. As long as you not getting dehydrated then your body is getting what it needs. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Wow!! You've had a rough time of it!

Hang tough! Everyday will get better. Take it easy and take care of yourself

Don't worry so much about the Protein right now. Concentrate on walking and sipping and resting.

Good luck!

I was on Clear Liquids with no Protein for the first full week. Then for my second week I was told to introduce protein powders and milks but to start with the protein powders in sugar free juices or Water or almond milk as milk based shakes can set really heavy.

My surgeon did advise for the first week when I'm on clears to drink some drinks that are lightly sugared.. and aim for about 150 calories a day from very lightly sugared drinks.

Thank you for all the feedback! This does help me tremendously so I don't feel alone. It's such a change, and even though we go through so much preperation, no one can ever tell you exactly what everything will be like. I have seemed to be able to drink more today and am happy that it's a better day than yesterday.

Thank you for all the feedback! This does help me tremendously so I don't feel alone. It's such a change' date=' and even though we go through so much preperation, no one can ever tell you exactly what everything will be like. I have seemed to be able to drink more today and am happy that it's a better day than yesterday.[/quote']

Please remember this early out that hydration is super important, more so than Protein. I mixed my shakes with Water too, just more Water in! Both my nut and after care doc says water is water and what you put in shakes counts toward hydration. I used fuzzy navel and it was like sipping on a Breakfast drink! A lot like oj, but, of course, has a peach flavor too!