Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story (Sleeved 4-4-13)

I began my journey at 50, after 30 years of research, decisions and battling insurance, weight and my own ideology. I went through the Legacy Diabetes and Weight Loss Institute. My surgery was completed by Dr. Jay Jan.

Surgery took a bit longer than thought due to adhesions and recovery was weird with my body being overheated. They kept a fan on me for two days lol. I was up and moving an hour after reaching my room. Pain was not decreasing after release and seemed to localize.

Sadly I developed an infection in my main incision site. It was opened and drained yesterday and wicked. I am currently on antibiotics and the incision was left open (ick!). The surgeon said he expected this based on the amount of tissue the stomach was dragged through.

I still don't regret surgery a bit. I was so sick I wasn't getting my fluids in. Tomorrow begins my second week of fluids. Despite months of research I find it impossible to read my own body yet. I'm not sure if this pain is hungry, or that pain is full etc. I don't measure just sip so I'm not sure when it is too much. I expect learning these things will be an interesting process.

One awesome surprise was the wonderful surgery buddy I met at our pre-OP meeting who is now a great new friend.

My starting weight was 324 and my first arbitrary goal is 299.

I'm so happy to have found all of you and this great site.

Annette

Welcome sleeve sister. Congratulations on becoming the real you. We are all here for you.

I was Sleeved 04/08/13--

I was convinced the sleeve procedure didn't work on me and that I was feeling hunger pains when in fact it was acid/gas rolling around in my poor wounded stomach! I couldnt understand why adding more and more to my stomach wasnt making it feel better, but worse! If I've had a bad day I remind myself that tomorrow will be a little better.

Warm liquids helped with my gas, as did extra strength Mylanta (Id like to kiss the feet of whoever invented that stuff, it has been such a lifesaver), and when i got super thirsty letting small pieces of ice slowly melt in my mouth helped my craving to chug Water. Follow your doctors recommendations and be patient with your body as it heals. If you think about it, this procedure we have had has almost made us "born again" with not only the physical aspect of our nourishment, but also our mental hunger.

Anyone who says this is the easy route has no idea the mental and physical trials we face. When you look in the mirror you should be very proud of the woman looking back at you. YOU are amazing and brave! Remember that!

Congratulations on your surgery! It will keep getting better and easier as time goes on. We have similar stats! My starting weight is similar, and I'm also 50. I also had an abscess in the same incision and it had to be opened up, too. Mine kept healing over, and had to be opened more than once, then I finally made them put a small drain in it so it could heal properly, which it did. In the grand scheme of things, it was a minor complication and didn't slow things down much for me. You are going to hit your "arbitrary" goal of 299 in no time! It was fun and shocking at how fast the weight came off at first. Do try to measure your liquids, and later, your food, because it is too soon to know your body yet, as you said. As you take it slow over the next few weeks, you will figure it out. I wish you continued success on your journey!

I began my journey at 50' date=' after 30 years of research, decisions and battling insurance, weight and my own ideology. I went through the Legacy Diabetes and Weight Loss Institute. My surgery was completed by Dr. Jay Jan.

Surgery took a bit longer than thought due to adhesions and recovery was weird with my body being overheated. They kept a fan on me for two days lol. I was up and moving an hour after reaching my room. Pain was not decreasing after release and seemed to localize.

Sadly I developed an infection in my main incision site. It was opened and drained yesterday and wicked. I am currently on antibiotics and the incision was left open (ick!). The surgeon said he expected this based on the amount of tissue the stomach was dragged through.

I still don't regret surgery a bit. I was so sick I wasn't getting my fluids in. Tomorrow begins my second week of fluids. Despite months of research I find it impossible to read my own body yet. I'm not sure if this pain is hungry, or that pain is full etc. I don't measure just sip so I'm not sure when it is too much. I expect learning these things will be an interesting process.

One awesome surprise was the wonderful surgery buddy I met at our pre-OP meeting who is now a great new friend.

My starting weight was 324 and my first arbitrary goal is 299.

I'm so happy to have found all of you and this great site.

Annette[/quote']

Hi!!

Are you an Oregonian? I am!! I was sleeved 12/5 at Legacy!! :)

Pleasure to meet you!! Welcome to the sleeved world!!

I know complications are tough!!! I had a leak and endured complications due to the leak. Sorry to hear if your incision trouble!! I will be thinking of you sending positive healing vibes!!!

Hang in there!! Things can only get better

Best,

Sannah

You guys are amazing. Thank you all so much!