Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with Self Pay and coordinating preop in US

Hi. I'm self-pay surg and all the preop testing this is going to cost me 22k+. Starting to think I should have just gone to Mexico. Not just because of $$ but inconvenience of coordinating all my preop stuff with do many different doctors. Is it more one-stop shopping in Mexico? Do you have do preop testing in states and bring it with you/send ahead to your Mexican surgeon. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this...

There isn't much pre op testing, that I know of. Most surgeons have you fill out a questionnaire about general health. If there's nothing that they're averse to dealing with (like multiple abdominal surgeries that would require a full open and not laparoscopic or severe medical issues), they approve and set a date for surgery and let you know their payment guidelines. They will do your labs the day before surgery. They require a deposit to set your date (at least mine did) and payment is required before you go under.

I am self pay, and due to cost and frustration you just described, I'm heading to Mexico!..ha.

Like CurvyJ said, basically they have you fill out a general questionare (not nearly as long as the docs here make you fill out) which give them basic info, any co-morbities you have, any medications, family history, etc. Then, the day you arrive in Mexico you will have labs done, EKG etc.

So no..nothing to be done here in the US...it's all done there..a "one stop shop" as you said. Most people don't need follow ups, but if you'd feel more comfortable, bring your PCP into the loop, have him do a "physical" on you before you go, and then post surgery, months down the road you can have another one to see how you've changed. (just a suggestion...)

I just couldn't afford the $19k it was going to be here in the US....

It's pretty streamlined. I submitted a health form. Medical and surgical history. Comorbitiies. Medications. Depending on your BMI your preop diet guidelines and how soon to begin it. My surgeon, Dr. Aceves, had some questions about my heart issues and wanted to confirm how my last heart echo and EKG came out and whether they were recent enuff to be relevant.

My PCP was apart of my journey from b4 I went to Mx and now.

Preop testing the day b4 surgery and spent that night in a lovely hotel. Surgery the next day and three nights in the hospital. Four nights for me b/c my heart rhythm acted up.

I was originally self pay where I live. I ended up VERY frustrated with the bariatric center I was going through. Loved the surgeon, but the staff was rude, unprofessional, etc.

i ended up switching to Dr. Kelly in Mexico. Paid a fraction of the price I was paying to have it where I live.

That was 8 months ago and I have zero regrets.

Like everyone else said, its all done when you get there. Much easier and less stress!

I had no problem in Mexico. They did pre op stuff the day before, surgery the next morning, and then to the recovery room next door. It was clean, the staff was excellent, the Dr was professional and competent, and I've been very satisfied with the results so far. I know it can seem kinda scary going to Mexico for such a major surgery but for the most part everyone has good things to say. There are a few bad reviews but the Drs here get bad reviews too. Of course it's entirely your decision, but if you are paying cash there's really no need to spend over 20K. You can get the same darn thing for a fraction of the price in Mexico.

Hi. I'm self-pay surg and all the preop testing this is going to cost me 22k+. Starting to think I should have just gone to Mexico. Not just because of $$ but inconvenience of coordinating all my preop stuff with do many different doctors. Is it more one-stop shopping in Mexico? Do you have do preop testing in states and bring it with you/send ahead to your Mexican surgeon. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this...

Nope...the surgeons in Mexico do their own pre-op workups. When you sign up with them, they send you the pre-surgery required diet and then all the tests are done the day of your surgery before your surgery. IF you want an American contact in Mexico who can answer all your questions and help set you up for surgery there, let me know and send me an email. This gal has had weight loss surgery herself and has a "recovery bed and breakfast" where she takes care of you in her lovely home in Mexico after your procedure so you don't have to stay in a strange hotel. If someone is coming with you, that is fine...they can stay with you at her house also. I had two VSG procedures in Mexico and had no issues whatsoever and am very pleased with the care I received.

I filled out the questionnaire and booked surgery. If indicate some problem on your questionnaire they might ask for more details.. for example, if you have Hypothyroid, the doctor may want to see your most recent thyroid panel... but that would just depend on what conditions you indicate on the form. If you don't have any out of the ordinary conditions, they just schedule you and you do all your blood work and ekg prior to surgery in mexico and it is all included as part of the cost of surgery. I paid 4,500 and that included hospital stay, hotel stay and all medicines and tests except the acid reducer which would have been 20.00 extra if I hadn't brought my own.

Hi, I went to Mexicali, Mexico and they did ALL the pre-op testing the day before the surgery. I went to Dr. Aceves, and the pre-op testing is included in the cost of the surgery. I would think that it would be important to have the pre-op testing to make sure that everything is OK before they did the surgery. The only thing that is NOT included in the fee for surgery is the cost of your air fare. You fly into San Diego, CA, and they send a driver to pick you up, take you to the hospital to have your pre-op testing. The drive works for the hospital. Then after the Pre-op testing is done, the driver take you to the 5 Start Hotel where you spend the night before the surgery. They have a driver take you to this hotel along with others that are having surgery the same day you are having it. You do have to pay for your own dinner that night, and it is about $12.00 at the most. They pick you up in the morning and take you back to the Hospital check you into your very nice private room with an TV and your own bathroom, and you have the surgery that morning. You are doing all of your recovery in this fully equipped hospital for 4 days. While you are doing your recovery they test you a total of 3 times to make sure you have NO leaks and that everything is working great. You go home on the 5th day, and the driver takes you back to San Diego which is about 1 1/2 hrs drive to the airport in San Diego. This is all included in your cost of surgery, your hospital and hotel and drive and testing and any medication they give you. They also send you home is pain meds if you need them. I think the fee is about $8,750. But you can check with them to find out for sure. I wish you great success on your journey. Pick the doctor and facility that works best for you.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Just like everyone says - Mexico is easy. If you want the details of logistics and surgery in Mexico, I put it all on my blog. You are welcome to read it. www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com.

Good luck!

I'm getting done next Wednesday and provided all goes without a hitch it, my final cost will be...wait for it...$26,830! Ya I know it's ridiculous. Thankfully I have a line of credit on my house with low interest rate I'm using. I didn't feel comfortable with Mexico for many reasons but I can see from just this forum alone many people are happy. It's a lot of money but I'm worth it!!!! (I keep telling my husband that lol) Good luck to you wherever you go!

Good grief! Where do you live? I live in the Dallas area and choose to stay stateside for my self pay surgery. We have lots of top bariatric surgeons to choose from here.

My all inclusive cost was $12,200. Not the least nor most expensive in the area. I chose my surgeon based on patient feedback, experience and reputation. Included all pre op consults, pre-op testing, hospital, OR anesthesiologist, and up to two nights in the hospital, (I only needed one). Also includes follow ups for life.

No loops to jump through. Although, I wonder how this would have played out in Mexico, my routine pre-op EKG showed an abnormality. I had to be referred to a Cardiologist to have it checked out. When I went in and they did the EKG it showed the same abnormality. Scared me to death. I had to come back and do a stress test to get clearance for surgery. Turns out, the "abnormality" is perfectly normal for me. But never having one prior we didn't know that. The surgeons office made it so easy, as soon as they got the results back, they were able to give me several Cardiologists to call and was able to get an appointment right away. They walked me though the whole process. It was just seamless, the whole process.

Sorry you are having such a rough time of it, with self pay it should be that easy.

That is my stateside experience and you have heard from the Mexico sleevers so sounds like you would have several great options other than paying an arm, a leg and first born child to have it done where you are!

Although....there were times when my first born was a teen...probably would have given him gladly! :P