Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a little worried.

I am going to mexico in one week and the only pre op thing I was told was stop my aspirin a week before and Clear Liquids for 5 days before. I have done a few things I read like no drinking during meals, eat slow tiny bites, drink a lot throughout the day. But I'm reading all these pre op diets and I'm worried.

Who is your doctor? Have you asked them if you need to be on a pre-op diet?

I've heard some that have a low BMI don't have to do a preop diet, but most do. I have to do a low carb diet for 7 days (I got a list of okay foods and menu ideas)...my surgery is also in Mexico.

Get to emailing your doc/patient coordinator ASAP!!

My coordinator hasn't answered my emails or calls. I start my clear liquids tomorrow but some people are saying they started a diet 2 months ago.

I did the same thing you did. Actually I only had four days of pre-op diet because of my surgery date. My doctor's office told me the longer pre-op diets were an insurance requirement in most cases. I was told that 4-5 days was plenty of time to shrink the liver, their main concern.

Have you tried the phone number/email on their website??

http://jaimeponcedeleon.com/contact

this may not be a main number, but if you are this close to surgery, I'd be calling every number available.

There are many different types of pre-op diets. I was on full liquids a week before surgery. The tiny sips and bites come after surgery because of your new tiny tummy. No Water half hour before and after a meal is so that you can get the most food in that tiny tummy and for it to stay there longer to keep you feeling full longer. Prior is for practice. Although the practice of not drinking with your meals is a good practice prior to surgery, but you'll be on full liquids so your pass the stage where you can practice prior to surgery. Good luck with your surgery next week.

Thank you so much!

Yall should join my FB group, there are a few on the pre op now (350 members). You might be able to get some advise and meet some friends from there. I went with Dr Quinones and was treated like a queen,a nd had everything spelled out for me. Thats an important part of your Surgery!

My surgery is in dec but what I have read and know from others every dr is diff and I am finding through posts that pre-op diets also depend on surgeon, ins requirements, your BMI etc. the object is to shrink your liver and loose a little weight. Relax and don't worry too much. I am finding the more you read the worse we get. Just follow the 5 days diligently and just know what is expected after which is the tiny bites etc. one day, one week one sec at a time. Congrats and good luck.

My doctor has a very strict preop diet. Per my insurance (Blue cross/blue shield) I had to do a 6 month diet, physician assessment, nutrition assessment, psych eval and PT eval. Also, I had to attend a seminar prior to even going through with all the other stuff. I've been going to see a psychologist weekly, nutrition every month, and now that my insurance approved, I have done a nutrition workshop, another Dr. appt, get an EGD, preop appt, and 2 wk Optifast (5 shakes a day) and 64+ oz of Water per day diet. Per my doc, you have to lose 5% of your body weight prior to surgery. This has been a LONG process for me, but I think I'm more mentally prepared with having so long to wait.

My experience was great. Everyone was so sweet. It was my birthday and everyone on my floor came to wish me a happy birthday. I recovered quickly. It was a lot simpler then I thought it would be.