Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I have been lurking on this board for the past week. I am trying to make the decision if I want to move over to the sleeve. I was banded in August 2010 and have only lost 25 pounds. I have never been able to find the "sweet spot" with my band. I have never had any restriction no matter what I ate. The only issue I have is not being able to drink Water properly without gulping a lot of air. I get a lot of gas when I drink. I met with a new doctor and he feels like the sleeve is right for me. I am a little nervous because I am not a huge eater. I just don't want to fail with the sleeve too. Is there anyone on the board like me who had success with the sleeve? I am also scared of the operation because I had complications from my lapband surgery. I was miserable and in pain for 2 months after my operation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I had the band from 2008 to 2010 and lost a grand total of 50#. In 2010 it slipped and I had to have it removed. After regaining all my weight and feeling like crud I finally decided to get the sleeve. I was sleeved almost 5 weeks ago and already I can tell you the sleeve is NOTHING like the band. I can eat small quantities of almost anything, nothing gets stuck, haven't thrown up once. And best of all if I include my pre-op weight loss I have lost 43#! That's almost what I lost the entire 2 years I had the band!

Do some research...there are lots of us on here who are sleeved after the band. And overall, I think the general consensus is the sleeve is everything the band was supposed to be! Good Luck!

Vicki,

That is great news! I want to convert to the sleeve. Just scared of pain. How was your recovery?

Very easy recovery...at least for me! The worst part was the one night I spent in the hospital but they gave me good drugs. Came home with liquid vicoden and only took 2-3 doses of that. I even got lucky enough to hardly have any gas pains (but then again I'm pretty sure my surgeon uses pixie dust or something) :)

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little bit better.

A friend works for a bariatric surgeon. He told us that on a scale from 1-10, the bypass is a 9, the lap band a 4, and the sleeve a 10.

I'm sorry to hear that you had surgery complications before. I hope you make the best decision for you and if you have the sleeve that you love it and have no further complications. I've had this sleeve for a little more than 3 weeks. Restriction? Oh yes! I used to eat like a big fat pig but not now. It's impossible. And the best part is that the little bit of a stomach I have left is all I'm ever gonna have. So it looks like I won't be eating like a pig ever again. Sometimes I'm a little sad about that but overall I'm happy with my decision and looking forward to watching the pounds disappear.

If you do not eat alot - did you explore the other reasons you might be overweight? Or - and I hate to be a wet blanket - do you understand that the sleeve will, at least at first and probably from here on out, unless you develop and maintain a really diverse, active lifestyle, you will be able to eat much less - maybe drastically so?

I am not trying to scare you but you mentioned that you aren't a big eater - I was not either for all but my heaviest (and still not as much as the 'calculation' for calorie vs. mass maintenance) but my metabolism has fought me my whole life (no thyroid issues, the best explination is it's a genetic haywire, my mom died at 86 lbs, and my sister was underweight until about 2 years ago, when she is now 'average').

I think you can lose, but be ready to have some equanimity for how much you lose. Everyone differs. I was well over a size 28 when I was at my heaviest - well over, and I am in the 14 range now. So am I a success? I feel like I am. Will I lose more? I honestly do not know. With out some skin removal, maybe not, since anything left to lose is all in my midsection now (i am a true apple shape).

I am revising from the band to sleeve May 31st. I too an not a huge eater but that's because of the band and I resort to slider food to not vomit. I want to sleeve so I can eat healthier without vomiting after I few bites. The band sucks and I wish it was taken off the market as it causes more harm than good. I wish you the best with your decision!

This isn't easy to answer but you might spend time reading old threads, go to in person support groups, meet other revionistas. Take your time to think this thru.

I was banded for 10 years... Every bandster I knew was still fat. It was an eye opener to meet sleeve people and wonder....were they ever obese?

Look at my profile...my before photo was with band....

Hi!

I too am planning on revising from banded plication to sleeve in June, 2013.

I have been banded for 11 years in total but have only had the banded plication since 2011. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Jenn

Thanks everyone! It's all very encouraging. I just don't want to fail again! I come from a family of skinny people. I am the only person that is obese. I can tell they look at me and wonder why I am not thin. I am not doing this for them. I am just tired of not feeling well. I have a bad knee and my joints always hurt! I know it's the weight. I'm just so frustrated! I've tried everything! I even tried the new fad The Fast Diet. All it did was make me gain weight! I just hope the sleeve helps!

CowgirlJane you look amazing!

I am revising from the band to sleeve May 31st. I too an not a huge eater but that's because of the band and I resort to slider food to not vomit. I want to sleeve so I can eat healthier without vomiting after I few bites. The band sucks and I wish it was taken off the market as it causes more harm than good. I wish you the best with your decision!

you made me laugh and shake my head because that is pure honesty. The band IMO is worthless. I have only met two people amongst the many I know with it (myself included) who lost all their weight. The one woman has had so much plastic surgery to help with her band's success it is just unreal.

I also vomit all the good lean Proteins if I am 'snug', which then you have to worry about stretching out your pouch or slipping your band. The fills are expensive (I pay $375 per fill and paid out of pocket for three years before insurance picked up paying it) and the band is unreliable.

I for one cannot wait to get this band out and a sleeve done.

This isn't easy to answer but you might spend time reading old threads, go to in person support groups, meet other revionistas. Take your time to think this thru.

I was banded for 10 years... Every bandster I knew was still fat. It was an eye opener to meet sleeve people and wonder....were they ever obese?

Look at my profile...my before photo was with band....

I am also lurking and wanting to confirm my decision, I am glad you said this because what you say is so true. I have MANY friends with bands and 95% of them have never lost more than 40 lbs and are still obese (moi included). I just want to get this done before the weight gets any worse because inevitably it will.

Hi Shiela

In the same boat. Very glad I found this site. I'm scheduled for revision 4/24 and a friend asked me today why I'm still on the fence about having it done, my answer...I don't want to fail again. The surgery itself doesn't scare me, the pre-and post surgery diets don't look like they are a lot of fun, but I can muddle through them. Pain doesn't scare me. The only thing I'm scared of is FAILING AGAIN.

My plan is to keep reading the encouraging words of wisdom from the people on this sight who have gone through it. And to prepare myself as much as I can for this next chapter of life.

Do what's best for you. For me the band was a waste of time, money and energy. Praying that the sleeve is a better tool for me.