Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody regretted it, even with no complications?

I never regretted it for a moment, but, I am not claiming it was always easy.

I think alot depends on where you are "at" with your health, your relationship with food, and the joy you want to find in other things.

I was just OVER food as entertainment. I LOVE being able to run, hike, ride, jump, climb - just be normal. It is worth all the ice cream and pizza on the planet to be able to live a normal but active life. I am not socially isolated, I enjoy good foods, I eat at restaurants, I go to parties, I do all that stuff. I just do it like a nromal/thin woman now.

I did a business trip recently and connnected with a "skinny b***h" as she is lovingly called by her work colleagues. We shared meals the whole week and just loved on delicious food in petite quantities.

Life is good.

Having said that, I am sorry for people who do have regrets. I hope that it is really just part of the adjustment and you find your peace with it. More then that, I hope you find your JOY with the physical changes, improved health and energy it brings.

You know another factor that i should mention - I have been physically hungry basically around the clock for YEARS. It has been heavenly to feel some relief from constant hunger. I do get hungry now that i am over a year out, but it is what I believe to be normal hunger. I get hungry when it is time to eat, not 24/7

I am a dietician. And a nutritionist. I know what to eat and not to eat. I can't always eat ideally. Its not realistic. That is why I had the surgery. Appetite suppression. I don't eat for fun. And I'm not in love with food. I simply have to eat what's available that's all I can do once the shakes run out or Protein is gone. I'm not rich. I can't go to GNC and buy $500 worth of isopures and $1000 worth of healthy meals and Snacks. I spent every dime on this surgery. And the rest on supplies. I depend on whatever's on sale. Now I have to eat the store brand whatever. Here's the kicker I need to save money on food so I can pay for the scans and see what's wrong. I don't drink calories and I don't eat pastries or donuts. I'm not an idiot.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I saw another thread where you are telling people that they should eat Frosted Mini Wheats to fill up. That's just not good advice. You really need Protein, and it doesn't need to be expensive. I'm not trying to upset you more...just trying to give some ideas. You can get Greek yogurt on sale, or chicken thighs and bake them or cook in the crockpot (I am a vegetarian, but it sounds like you eat meat). Some people even like canned chicken, which isn't expensive. You can get salmon patties and string cheese. I am saving a lot on my food budget bc I'm eating so much less and almost never eat out. I hope that you can get some answers to your issues and wish you all the best.

Yes I know. That's what I could afford I had a coupon. I'm not going to say my diet is for everyone. But I have had Protein most of the time and I am down to cheap carbs right now. At least the pizza had cheese that's protein. The mini wheat are for Fiber. You can't just do protein all the time its not healthy. And who knows health better than the good people a Kellogg's. That's American jobs I'm supporting. Just so you know I do have a resupply of Protein Shakes coming tomorrow. But its only going to last me as long as it lasts me.

I had some regrets after the surgery during that first month when I was literally morning the loss of food. I then started feeling better and able to eat more and was feeling much more positive when I was hit with an episode of cluster headaches which I had not had for 18 years . They are also called suicide headaches. I think the reoccurence had to be related to the surgery and/or weight loss. I have asked myself many times if I knew the headaches would come back would I do the surgery again and it would be probably not but I can not undue it so I refuse to regret it. I am getting some relief from my headaches and hope I can get the drive back to make the most of my sleeve.

Like Luckysmomma, I too, have major regrets. I won't get into it because I get slammed and I know I'm in the minority. I just know that given the option, I would go back 7 weeks and cancel my surgery.

I do eat healthy most of the time. But sometimes I can't. The point is I shouldn't be so starving that I'm forced to make a bad decision. This surgery was supposed to fix that. I'm on a budget. And I eat through my Proteins too quickly. Its hunger pure and simple. Maybe you can fight it when you are in your teens and 20s but when you are an old man like me forget about it.

I sort of can relate. I do have restriction, but I am hungrier than before. Seems like no matter how long I wait to drink Water after eating I am hungry not long after. I have lost weight. Not super fast, but I am losing. I am so sorry you're having these issues... I also understand living on limited income. I am on ssdi and have to be so careful with my budget. I do eat right most of the time, but do eat things like hot dogs without the bread, etc... Keep your chin up!

Yikes most of these replies have scared the hell out of me. Thanks for your honesty it's what I needed to hear if I pass this on to my husband he will say no don't do it and I've only just convinced him how much I need it!

Musiclover, I think the big things are 1) go into it with realistic expectations. The surgery won't do the work for you. You will eat less--a lot less. You won't use food for comfort or entertainment anymore if you do now. If you have emotional issues with food, you should start getting counseling now and it may continue after. You will need to exercise to lose weight, you will need to drink Water and take supplements. You may not lose weight as quickly as you would like, but you will lose. 2) as with any surgical procedure, there is a (very low) risk of complications. Pick your surgeon wisely. Ask about surgical complication rates and go for someone who has few to none. Follow your surgeon's and dietitian's recommendations to a "t." Honestly, the vast majority of people who post here who have kept those two items in mind say they do NOT regret their surgery. I think if you had a post that asked people instead to post why they are happy they had VSG, you would see a whole other slew of responses (vast majority of posters). I think it's good to look at it objectively and hear from people who haven't had a good experience, but you shouldn't view that as "typical." I would say that those experiences are atypical for sure, based on what I have read here.

Is it against the rules to accuse someone of trolling? Certain things that are being said seen too ridiculous to be real.

I wish I could feel free to discuss how I am feeling. Maybe it would help someone. But if I did, would I be heard? Would I be ridiculed?

For now ill keep my mouth shut and wait to see how this thread plays out.

Yes I know. That's what I could afford I had a coupon. I'm not going to say my diet is for everyone. But I have had Protein most of the time and I am down to cheap carbs right now. At least the pizza had cheese that's Protein. The mini wheat are for Fiber. You can't just do protein all the time its not healthy. And who knows health better than the good people a Kellogg's. That's American jobs I'm supporting. Just so you know I do have a resupply of Protein shakes coming tomorrow. But its only going to last me as long as it lasts me.

Seems to me that if you are able to eat so much that you wouldn't be needing to also supplement with Protein Shakes. Certainly as a dietician, you know how to get your protein from food sources.. chicken and eggs are not "specialty items" they are inexpensive, easy to prepare, stick in your sleeve and are protein rich. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around your need to buy Protein drinks if you are eating as much as you claim.

You say your doctor botched your surgery, i get it, I would be mightily frustrated too, but you are also full of excuses and seem to be making very little effort here. I think you are right on the money. You definitely should NOT have had this surgery, It is definitely not for you. Shame on your doctor for giving you false expectations and for operating on you in the first place. Even if the surgery would have gone perfectly, I don't think it would have worked for you.

I think he was being facetious about being a dietitian (otherwise, he would know how to spell it?)--maybe just saying that he feels he knows so much about nutrition that he is an ad hoc dietitian and nutritionist. I used to think I knew a lot about nutrition, too--until I met my current RD. She is SO knowledgeable--I have learned a ton. Even about things such as label reading, which I thought I had down pat after doing it for so many years.

I think he was being facetious about being a dietitian (otherwise, he would know how to spell it?)--maybe just saying that he feels he knows so much about nutrition that he is an ad hoc dietitian and nutritionist. I used to think I knew a lot about nutrition, too--until I met my current RD. She is SO knowledgeable--I have learned a ton. Even about things such as label reading, which I thought I had down pat after doing it for so many years.

Good point. I hope you are right. I do tend to take what people say as literal... My head was about spinning around because he's been offering nutritional advice to other sleevers which included things like "McDonald's fish bites" so for him to say he's a dietician really threw me for a loop.