Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 4 days post-op and need some advice.

Hello Everyone, I am 4 days post op today!! YAY!! I am having a hard time getting all my protien in and all my Water. I am on a full liquid diet for 3 weeks, so yesterday when I got home from the hospital I started the diet my DR. gave me. I can have Atkins shakes 3 times a day and then a liqiuid snack twice a day (broth, Jello, popsicle,) plus 48oz of water. My problem is the atkins shakes are 11oz and i can't seem to get them down, and when i do i feel sick,(warm, shakie, sweaty). So my question is how does one do this with out getting sick, I try to drink the "meals" over an hour but it is not working. Any advice would be helpful. Maybe the atkins shakes are too rich, maybe I should just be using regular whey powder. I am taking sips of water every 10 min. but the meals are what makes me feel sick. Any help would be apprciated,

Good question. Isopure is loaded with Protein, is clear and goes down really well. Problem is that it tastes like crap. Try buying a bottle and mixing it with either Gatoraide or Vitamin Water. You should be able to tolerate it fairly well and it tastes fairly good.

HI

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL I AM 2 1/2 WEEKS POST OP AND STILL HAVE THIS TROUBLE OF GETTING ALL IN . I BOUGHT WHEY UNFLAVORED ITS 19 G OF Protein A SCOOP AND I HAVE PUT IT WITH CRYSTAL LITE AND ALSO SOME CRAN juice WITH Water MIX. IT TASTES OK .. I WAS GETTING SICK OF THE vanilla AND chocolate. BUT ONE THING THE Atkins IS ONLY 15 G OF Protein ,,I THINK.. YOU NEED TO GET ONES HIGHER IN PROTEIN GO LEAN BY GNC STORES ISN T BAD. GOOD LUCK TO U AND US ALL .. WE CAN ONLY TRY ..

There is no way I could've gotten all that in post-op. I would have trouble getting all that in even now and I'm 4 months post-op! I would also suggest the Isopure. My tastes have changed drastically since surgery and I cannot tolerate Protein Shakes AT ALL. Isopure really helped me get my Protein in. I struggled getting anything in for weeks after surgery and my dr. had to put me on a diet which consisted of watered down apple and grape juice just to get calories in because I was having trouble tolerating anything but Water. I had a drinking schedule where I had to consume 1 once every 5 minutes. At first it took me at least ten minutes to do one once but I just kept at it. Good luck and hang in there! I promise it gets better!!!!

My post op advice says a minimum of 64 ounces of liquids.. it does not matter the form.. Protein shakes, coffee, Jello... all count as liquids.< /p>

Also I was on clears for the first week.. not even taking Protein until day 7! When I first started adding back in the protein, I'd mix with a sugar free drink or Water.. the Protein Drink was very thin this way since I use jay robb powder which makes a thin drink anyway. I didn't start using dairy milk until around day 12 since it can be kind of hard on the brand new tummy.

Also, I am allowed two cups of coffee a day. vanilla Protein Powder mixes nicely with coffee if the coffee is not too hot.

Are you supposed to drink the whole thing at one time? I am 6 days post op and I am still on a 2 ounces at a time diet. I don't know what your surgeon prefers, but mine put me on a 2 ounces every 15 minutes. Protein at the top of the hour and hydration Fluid (water, broth, popsicle...) every 15 minutes after that. Repeat for as long as I'm awake. I haven't tried to drink an entire shake at once, but I'm sure that is hard for your freshly operated on stomach! I have also switched from Atkins shakes (which I LOVE) to Protein Advantage (which are still good, just not as good as Atkins) simply because the Premier Protein has 30g of protein per 11 ounces where as Atkins only has 15g. I would try modifying the amount you are drinking at a time and see if you tolerate it better...Good Luck!!!

As far as getting sick of vanilla and chocolate, I knew I'd be in that boat, too. I love the Syntrax Nectar fruit flavors - I mix them up with ice and Water and they are great. I order them from BJ's Bariatrics - shipping is quick!

Has anyone tried Yes Whey or New Whey? My surgeon sells the Yes Whey and it has 25 grams of Protein and they call it a liquid shot. It is 2.9 oz and looks like a fat tube. I found New Whey at Krogers and it has 42 grams of protein and is 3.8 oz. I have surgery next Mon Apr 15 so I haven't tried them yet. I am supposed to be on an all liquid diet next Sun and drink them for protein and then again after surgery.

I love the Premier Protein shake from costco or Sam's club.... What I recommend at this stage is to first get your Water in and then work on your Protein Drink then. Remember, you can't really drink that much right now so take a couple of ozs and stop drinking the minute you feel full. Your stomach is really swollen right now so be gentle on it...... Sometimes the symptoms your experiencing could be from eating too much, too much sugar, etc. Take it slowly and let us know how your doing. If you have any questions please feel free to ask...... :)

I've read numerous times that the Protein "shots" are no good. They have Protein from Gelatin or collagen which are not absorbed the same way as whey protein. Protein powders are NOT regulated by the FDA, so these companies can use a very small amount of whey protein, then call it 42g of whey protein w/o penalties. So you have to be very careful with what you're using.

Atkins shakes are lower in protein than a lot of other good options. My NUT specifically told me not to use those, or Ensure or Special K shakes, they have too much sugar and not enough protein. Body Fortress powder comes in a variety of flavors and can be found at Walmart for $16. unjury can be purchased online and has unflavored and chicken Soup flavored powders so you can have more variety, those sell for $20-23 per container. Premier shakes are sold ready-to-drink at costco and Sams and have 30g protein per container. Any of these would be a better source of protein than the Atkins shakes. :)

Good luck to you, I hope you find something that meets your needs!

My dietician told me to stay away from those Protein "shots" as well. Same reasoning - the collagen protein is not absorbed as well. I'm almost 2 weeks out, and I've been using Premier premade (Costco) and lots of different kinds of protein powders to mix with milk and/or Water. My favorites so far are the Syntrax Nectar packets - all kinds of fruit flavors that go really well with water and ice. Much lighter texture than some of the others, plus they're a great break from vanilla and chocolate. I order mine as a sample pack from BJ's Bariatrics - that way you can choose the flavors you want. They have quick shipping, too. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info about the Protein Shots. I got the Yes Whey at my surgeons office. They sold me 10 for the day before and week after. They are Bariatric Advantage which claims they use 100% whey Protein not colagen. I guess my surgeon believes this. I guess I will try them since I already bought them. I did read they don't taste good. :( I think the Kroger New Whey may not be good. May throw the two away that I bought. Any way, thanks for the info and I may reconsider using them. He said they were going to give them to me after surgery.

Thanks for the info about the Protein Shots. I got the Yes Whey at my surgeons office. They sold me 10 for the day before and week after. They are Bariatric Advantage which claims they use 100% whey Protein not colagen. I guess my surgeon believes this. I guess I will try them since I already bought them. I did read they don't taste good. :( I think the Kroger New Whey may not be good. May throw the two away that I bought. Any way, thanks for the info and I may reconsider using them. He said they were going to give them to me after surgery.

There ARE some protein shots that are not collagen (yes whey ARE 100% whey).. you just have to be careful is all because most brands are NOT whey but they try to lead you to believe that they are... As far as the taste goes.. I've never read a review that didn't say that they taste like feet, or worse.

There ARE some Protein shots that are not collagen (yes whey ARE 100% whey).. you just have to be careful is all because most brands are NOT whey but they try to lead you to believe that they are... As far as the taste goes.. I've never read a review that didn't say that they taste like feet, or worse.

Feet, huh? I just thought they tasted like thick Gatorade, which pretty much grossed me out. Ick... :wacko:

I am almost 6 weeks post-op and I too had huge difficulties trying to get in my fluids and Protein. I still do. I'm just not thirsty. Water had a metallic taste. So now I've been drinking water with Orange / Tangerine MIO added to it. It's wonderful. AND I found that the more fluids I took in, the thirstier I was during the day so I am drinking more! As for how to get more protein...that's a tough one. I spent a lot of money on different kinds of protein powders and Protein Drinks until I found one that I could tolerate. Ensure High Protein Shake has 210 calories and 25 grams of protein. I put it in the freezer for about 45 minutes then shake it up really good. Delicious!