Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BIG FAT PEOPLE!

Yeah mine too. I made chicken Marsala for the fam the other day. While I was browning the chicken my brain tried to convince me to take a bite.

I resisted' date=' but it was a battle of willpower and addiction if ever there was.[/quote']

Yes Amanda!!

That's where it starts! I held out from doing that for months but recently I gave in and stared tasting... It's hard to explain but with our small tummies it will satisfy you for a while, and that's a good thing right??? NO IT'S NOT! It throws of our routine and starts a slippery slope of graze type eating. I, me, Laura, NEED to stay on schedule and any little deviation right now (tasting) throws that off..

So many things I'm still learning.

Yes Amanda!!

That's where it starts! I held out from doing that for months but recently I gave in and stared tasting... It's hard to explain but with our small tummies it will satisfy you for a while' date=' and that's a good thing right??? NO IT'S NOT! It throws of our routine and starts a slippery slope of graze type eating. I, me, Laura, NEED to stay on schedule and any little deviation right now (tasting) throws that off..

So many things I'm still learning.[/quote']

Exactly! And with our sleeved tummies grazing is a dangerous slippery slope.

Hey :)

I've been away camping for a couple of weeks, but I thought I'd chime in on this one.

I'm definitely of the school of thought that we're all food addicts. If we weren't, surely we could just put ourselves on a 800-1200 cal a day diet and do it without a VSG?

To have surgery, with all it's associated risks (and costs), when a person could do it on their own (and keep it off) is just insanity.

I think like a lot of others I've been replacing my food addiction with exercise. I don't believe I'm replacing one addiction with another, and here's my reasoning.

To be diagnosed with an addiction you have to have -

Loss of willpower (Food check / Exercise, I guess so)

Harmful consequences (Food check / Exercise, no way)

Unmanageable lifestyle (Food check / Exercise, no way. It's improving my lifestyle)

Tolerance or escalation of use (Food check / Exercise, Nope. I'm at an optimal amount of training now. I don't see it escalating)

Withdrawal Symptoms Upon Quitting (Previous diets - hell yes / Exercise. yep. I suffer withdrawals if I missing training sessions because of work etc)

So I tick all the boxes for food addict. I tick 3 of 5 for Exercise. So I'm not addicted to exercise for my money.

I like to think I've replaced an unhealthy addiction with a healthy FANATICISM.

fanatic [fəˈnætɪk]

n

a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme or beyond normal limits

Informal
a person devoted to a particular hobby or pastime; fan
a jazz fanatic

I'm so happy for you, Dean! It sounds like you are doing amazingly well!

Hi Dean,

Long time no see!!

Today I wonder about my food addiction and what will come next. I do not see me EVER becoming addicted to exercise or even ever "loving" it.

So I wonder is it possible to "cure" an addictive personality all together? Or do I have a rough road ahead of me because I have not found something yet to fill that hole..

Hey Laura-sorry to burst your bubble, but I do not believe it is possible to cure an addictive personality. It is in your DNA. The best thing to do is find a healthy addiction to transfer an eating habit to.

It does not need to be exercise. Maybe it is scrapbooking, horseback riding, camping, learning or getting really good at a musical instrument or language, playing video games, playing board games, etc. It can be anything that becomes an outlet for your attention.

That being said, being a health / exercise fanatic is not a bad place to be....

Hey Laura-sorry to burst your bubble' date=' but I do not believe it is possible to cure an addictive personality. It is in your DNA. The best thing to do is find a healthy addiction to transfer an eating habit to.

It does not need to be exercise. Maybe it is scrapbooking, horseback riding, camping, learning or getting really good at a musical language, playing video games, playing boars games, etc. It can be anything that becomes an outlet for your attention.

That being said, being a health / exercise fanatic is not a bad place to be....[/quote']

See fiddle this is where I fear that I will fail...

If its a matter of transferring addictions I've not done that yet.

I feel "stuck" I've not taken any forward steps in weeks toward my recovery (or weight loss).

I know these things I see these things, but it takes so much more than just acknowledging it.

There needs to be ACTION.

There needs to be discomfort and getting past complacency in ones current state.

I am at pivotal point I feel it, and I have some life changing (or not) choices to make.

I don't want to be fanatical...but if chose not to, will that be my downfall??

Forgive my rambling and taking this way off to left field...

But that's where you will find me today..

Way, way out there.

Not trying to highjack your thread laura-ven, but.......If you put the phrase

"what is a vertical sleeve gastrectomy" in google images half way down the first page you will find something very interesting about YOU!! :huh:

Not trying to highjack your thread laura-ven' date=' but.......If you put the phrase

"what is a vertical sleeve gastrectomy" in google images half way down the first page you will find something very interesting about YOU!! :huh:[/quote']

My ugly mug pic? Hehe, that's one of the reasons why I will never be taking bra and panties shots!! :P

My ugly mug pic? Hehe, that's one of the reasons why I will never be taking bra and panties shots!! :P

First off your mug is NOT ugly!! The pic goes to show that you are the Queen of VST. :D

My name is Kendi and I definitely have an addictive personality.

I am addicted to food and have to watch my alcohol intake. I could easily choose to go down the wrong paths, but instead I work at staying vigilant & supplement my addictive tendencies with healthier options.

By that I mean that when I sense that my emotions are in a place where I could easily cave into my addictions, I have to consciously choose to replace my addictive behaviors with healthier activities. {Alas I have not reached the place of love & devotion to exercise as some of you have (I still have to FORCE myself to exercise Every da@n day)}, but I have learned to supplement my unhealthy desires into more positive activities like reading a book, doing some sort of art / creative work, sewing, etc. The latter activities help me unwind without harmful consequences (of course with the exception of possibly creating UGLY fashion but that's a different issue)...

in reality, I am waiting for the day that I don't have to feel the struggle. I wish my brain would automatically choose healthy behaviors vs. addictive ones. I dislike feeling like I have to fight myself in order to overcome my automatic & initial tendencies...

I guess what I am wondering is when do our new habits become the permanent lifestyle change we are all working towards?

First off your mug is NOT ugly!! The pic goes to show that you are the Queen of VST. :D

I better start losing some more weight then!!

The pressure!! :P

I better start losing some more weight then!!

The pressure!! :P

Come on you are a Point Leader 3484 well 3486 after I give you a couple of "likes". How could you not be motivated!! Don't make me have to make 4000 posts to dethrone you!! :P

My name is Kendi and I definitely have an addictive personality.

in reality' date=' I am waiting for the day that I don't have to feel the struggle. I wish my brain would automatically choose healthy behaviors vs. addictive ones. I dislike feeling like I have to fight myself in order to overcome my automatic & initial tendencies...

I guess what I am wondering is when do our new habits become the permanent lifestyle change we are all working towards?[/quote']

KendiSue,

I wonder also when and IF our new healthier habits are at a more stable permanent stage.

I suspect willpower and making consciences choices will always play a roll in my life.

I see some here that seem to be a place of peace with their new addictions/ hobbies so maybe those people will not have the pull to over eating anymore?

food still occupies a big part of my brain through out the day, not just wanting it but the fear of it. The fear if my future with it when I am able to consume more.

You can say my obsessive thoughts have been focused on food and fear of enjoyment and consumption if it.