Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everyone!

I'm in the process of getting ready for surgery (tentative date June 7th). Forgive my silly/newbie questions...

I wanted to ask you veterans, if any of you hike, and if so, how are you fueling? Right now when I hike (in the Smoky Mountains), I usually carry cliff bars/almonds, jelly Beans...ha. So what do you use for fuel now that you have a smaller stomach? Or do you just eat more often?

I guess I'm worried about not having enough "fuel". I once was on Medifast (low cal, low carb), and have never felt so zapped of energy, and am afraid that with the surgery I'll feel the same.

And one more question. How long after your surgery were you able to do say a 5 mile hike? (my goal will be to eventually get back to where I was last spring... 15 mile day with 2,500ft elevation gain or 3 day backpacking trips...but I know this will take many months to get back to).

Thanks so much!

Everyone is different, but I would say for exercise that rigorous, you will likely feel up to it by about 6 weeks. You could use low-carb Protein Bars or nuts as fuel once you are on solid foods and/or approved to eat nuts (my surgeon approves nuts at 4 months).

You may feel a little low energy for a while after surgery. I am 2.5 weeks out from surgery, and still struggling to get in 500 calories a day (most days, I am around 400). My energy level is fairly normal at the moment, but I am defintely working my way back to full workouts/activity levels. Really important to take those supplements and get in the protein! However, people in my support group that are a year + out from surgery say that their energy really picks up after a few months, and your eating gets stabilized - the first couple of months are a bit of a roller-coaster with trying new foods and re-learning how to eat and drink. I am hoping to get back to running, and perhaps do a 5K or 10K next Spring, but I need to wait another month or so to get cleared for running. I am trying not to "over-do" it! As you will find out after your surgery, PATIENCE is a virtue in this game!!!

I am a hiker both pre and post op.

Even before food considerations, make sure you have more then enough Water. Probably 2x the amount you take now. I went on a difficult hike at week 3 (mistake in hindsight) and ran out of Water at the top. It was a tough hike going down too and I had zero water. This hike was 5 miles round trip, but 1 mile was flat and 1.5 mile was 3000 foot climb to lake. Hard for even "good" hikers.

Just to let you know, I took 64 oz, was still only enough for going up. I got really really dehydrated in the last mile back to the car and did not think I was going to make it. Seriously, I was thinking about a living will and power of attorney right there if my body shut down and if I did make it back in only dehydrated state, what the ER trip back to the hospital was going to be like. This is not hyperbole!!! Any ways, made it back to the car and downed water all the way home and was still wiped out when at ho.e. went to sleep very early so wiped out from the ordeal. Don't repeat this!!

So- now you understand the importance of staying hydrated on a challenging hike ( or any hike) post op. As for food, you will want to have 3 or 4 Protein shakes with you. You do not need them pre mixed, but have the powder in baggies so you can quickly mix the up. This is if you are hiking before 1 month post op.

Once you are on solids, I would make sure you take small Protein packages (1-3 ounces in size). Try and west one every 1/2 mile. I do not really know as I was not hiking until 6 months out after the week 3 hike. If you are far enough out, make sure you are testing good carbs.

Nuts.com makes good energy squares that will really help you up those switchbacks. Cliff bard are OK for hiking, but they have a ton of sugar so not so good for us. Most likely you would get diarrhea from the sugar overload and that is no fun on a home. Try and replace Clif bars with a low carb variety so there is no sugar rush. Again, small increments of protein are good to eat as you are hiking up the trail. Think sausage size, lunch meat or babel cheeses.

Hope this helps!

I am a hiker both pre and post op.

Even before food considerations, make sure you have more then enough Water. Probably 2x the amount you take now. I went on a difficult hike at week 3 (mistake in hindsight) and ran out of Water at the top. It was a tough hike going down too and I had zero water.

Just to let you know, I took 64 oz, was still only enough for going up. I got really really dehydrated in the last mile back to the car and did not think I was going to make it. Seriously, I was thinking about a living will and power of attorney right there if my body shut down and if I did make it back in only dehydrated state, what the ER trip back to the hospital was going to be like. This is not hyperbole!!! Any ways, made it back to the car and downed water all the way home and was still wiped out when at ho.e. went to sleep very early so wiped out from the ordeal. Don't repeat this!!

So- now you understand the importance of staying hydrated on a challenging hike ( or any hike) post op. As for food, you will want to have 3 or 4 Protein shakes with you. You do not need them pre mixed, but have the powder in baggies so you can quickly mix the up. This is if you are hiking before 1 month post op.

Once you are on solids, I would make sure you take small Protein packages (1-3 ounces in size). Try and west one every 1/2 mile. I do not really know as I was not hiking until 6 months out after the week 3 hike. If you are far enough out, make sure you are testing good carbs.

Nuts.com makes good energy squares that will really help you up those switchbacks. Cliff bard are OK for hiking, but they have a ton of sugar so not so good for us. Most likely you would get diarrhea from the sugar overload and that is no fun on a home. Try and replace Clif bars with a low carb variety so there is no sugar rush. Again, small increments of protein are good to eat as you are hiking up the trail. Think sausage size, lunch meat or babel cheeses.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much. I thought it would be atleast 2 months before I could even think about hitting a trail...but of course I'll follow my Doc's recommendations. That is very good to know about the water...I wouldn't have even thought I'd need more after surgery than I do now. Thanks for all your recommendations...this is exactly the type of advice I was needing. :)

Thanks so much. I thought it would be atleast 2 months before I could even think about hitting a trail...but of course I'll follow my Doc's recommendations. That is very good to know about the Water...I wouldn't have even thought I'd need more after surgery than I do now. Thanks for all your recommendations...this is exactly the type of advice I was needing. :)

It really does depend on your stamina after surgery. Everyone is different and most doctors say to wait 6 weeks before returning to hard core lifting. Hiking is not really hard core in the same way. I did talk to my doctor about it at 3 week check up and it was basically " good for you. Glad you are feeling OK to hike." So, do check with the doctor and also check with yourself. If you are weary and still feel like you are recovering, waiting a little longer might be worth it.

I'm so glad this thread was made. My family and I are huge backpackers and hikers/mountain biking folks. On a weekend we usually ride 25-30 miles of singletrack trails, and take frequent biking/camping trips. We're planning a 3 day hiking trip in September when its not 1000 degrees in Texas. We did the same trip last year in July, hot as hell and wasn't as fun because of the heat. In May we're celebrating our 4 year anniversary and my wife has planned a camping trip for the two of us. No hike in, but a primitive site with plenty of hiking opportunities throughout the area for day hikes.

When I was carb cycling in the past to get ready for meets, I loved the carb conscious Supreme Protein bars. 30g Protein per bar, 6g NET carbs, and 4g sugar. the do have sugar alcohols so depending on how your body handles them, be forewarned. They never knocked me out of Keto in the past, and never gave me the runs unless I ate 4 of them. Like Fiddleman said, Water Water water, moreso than ever before. We bought a filtration system so we can collect water from any source. They really do work nicely unless the water is just way too muddy, you'd need a good filter then. It makes it a little more challenging with water sources in places, but I think it's more rugged living off the land.

We take camping pans with us, cook up eggs and sausage/bacon by campfire when we go on 2-3 day hikes, no carbs, good source of protein to get the day started. Also carry cheese and pepperoni with me, love it. Also, electrolyte water like Vitamin water, Gatorade G2, or just electrolyte tabs to put in to your water. You can find a lot of low carb electrolyte supplements on runners websites since they're huge on that stuff.

As for the when, my doc told me 6 weeks at first, then released me at 4.5 weeks. But after he saw a video of a few trails we maintain and ride frequently, he told me no crazy off road biking until 6 weeks just to be safe.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-trail-food/#axzz2PZHapdIu

I'm not sure if that'll help you or anyone, but there's some great information in there.

Hiking was one of the first activities I did after surgery. By the 3rd week I felt fine to hike. Heck I was chainsawing down trees at 3 weeks. I just came back from a week long hiking trip in New Mexico. Wow was it beautiful. It was an adjustment because my mind still had me packing a ton of food, way more than I need now. By the end of the week I pretty much had it figured out. My favorites ended up being almonds and baby bel cheeses. The energy squares Fiddleman mentioned are also good, and I also packed some small containers of PB2 which was a great treat and a good energy source. If you must carry Protein bars, my personal preference is the Quest bars. Lots of Protein, very low in net carbs. But I didn't really care for them while actually on the trail. A good scrambled egg Breakfast every morning got me powered up, and then the other things I mentioned got me through the miles quite well. We even hiked up to 9100 feet one day....I'm super proud of myself for that one. My old legs and lungs have never carried me that high.

I also highly recommend a camelbak. We bought new North Face packs for the trip. I've never had a good one because I could never utilize the waistbelt before, but now I can. I have a 100 oz camelbak bladder that I carried and it was fine for most of my hikes. We did filter some Water a couple of times when it was available. I usually use propel powder in my Water as it has 0 cals and adds a good deal of electrolytes.

Oh yeah, almost forgot the most important thing. In my search for alternative running fuels, I came across a product called Pocket Fuel. They sell them at Luke's Locker now, I don't know what running stores you have around you but try them, or order on line. It's basically a nut butter based snack. Much less sugar than your average runner's gel, environmentally friendly and all natural. I carried them on our hikes and they really hit the spot several times. I highly recommend them. The chocolate haze basically tasted like chocolate peanut butter...yummy.

I enjoy hiking too. Alas Ohio is not known for mountains but we have some nice metro parks. I'm not on solids yet, but I've heard that Quest bars pack a lot of Protein with low net carbs. I'm planning on hitting the metro parks again tomorrow. The shorter ones to see how I handle it.

Hiking was one of the first activities I did after surgery. By the 3rd week I felt fine to hike. Heck I was chainsawing down trees at 3 weeks. I just came back from a week long hiking trip in New Mexico. Wow was it beautiful. It was an adjustment because my mind still had me packing a ton of food, way more than I need now. By the end of the week I pretty much had it figured out. My favorites ended up being almonds and baby bel cheeses. The energy squares Fiddleman mentioned are also good, and I also packed some small containers of PB2 which was a great treat and a good energy source......

Thanks so much, this was great information, but even more important...congrats on your hike!! 9,100 feet...shoo, I can't even imagine. The most I've done is around 3,500 in a day... great job!!

Thanks so much' date=' this was great information, but even more important...congrats on your hike!! 9,100 feet...shoo, I can't even imagine. The most I've done is around 3,500 in a day... great job!![/quote']

Yes, congratulations are in order. Quite impressed BTB!

Hiking was one of the first activities I did after surgery. By the 3rd week I felt fine to hike. Heck I was chainsawing down trees at 3 weeks. I just came back from a week long hiking trip in New Mexico. Wow was it beautiful. It was an adjustment because my mind still had me packing a ton of food, way more than I need now. By the end of the week I pretty much had it figured out. My favorites ended up being almonds and baby bel cheeses. The energy squares Fiddleman mentioned are also good, and I also packed some small containers of PB2 which was a great treat and a good energy source. If you must carry Protein bars, my personal preference is the Quest bars. Lots of Protein, very low in net carbs. But I didn't really care for them while actually on the trail. A good scrambled egg Breakfast every morning got me powered up, and then the other things I mentioned got me through the miles quite well. We even hiked up to 9100 feet one day....I'm super proud of myself for that one. My old legs and lungs have never carried me that high.

I also highly recommend a camelbak. We bought new North Face packs for the trip. I've never had a good one because I could never utilize the waistbelt before, but now I can. I have a 100 oz camelbak bladder that I carried and it was fine for most of my hikes. We did filter some Water a couple of times when it was available. I usually use propel powder in my Water as it has 0 cals and adds a good deal of electrolytes.

Thanks for all this - and to you too Fiddleman! I"m planning a backpack trip for July (sleeved April 29) and was wondering if others have had good experience with a water bladder instead of a water bottle only. It seemed like a way to get enough water since I can no longer stop and gulp and then go again like I used to. I can SO relate to Fiddleman's trip - I did that during my pre-op weeks, and had no water for my trip down - mine not as severe as yours, but a heck of a good lesson nonetheless. I love Quest bars and PB2 also, so will keep those in mind. Any other tips from you backpackers out there? I'll be going with my niece who's also overweight, and working on losing sans surgery - so I don't have to worry about any explaining or rushing to keep up with a pace that's beyond me, thank goodness.

I'm also looking into a way to rig a sleep apnea machine with a battery for the trip - might save us both!

Kate