Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger all the time

I seem to be way more hungry all the time post op then I was pre op. Every hour! I am not kidding or using hyperbole!!

I eat every 3 hours " on purpose" and then a spoonful of cottage cheese, an ounce of chicken, an extra energy square or some other helpful food in between (try and limit to 50 calories). I have even been known to eat an extra low carb/fat Protein Bar (200 calories!!). Arg!! I am getting tired of needing to eat so often mainly because it is so distracting and I worry a little about it.

This has been going on since month 6 and am now month 9. Even though it seems like I never stop eating during the day, my weight stays about the same, maybe down a little bit. My weight is hovering 178-182. The hunger strikes the most between 11 and 3 pm for me. I normally eat at 12 pm and 3 pm as part of my plan, but oh how I want to eat more in between.

I stopped tracking what I am eating in between planned meals so cannot tell you exactly how many calories are coming in. My planned meals are about 1200-1400 calories during the day. Always drinking Water too in order to keep well hydrated, especially for exercise.

I eat mostly animal meats, leafy green veggies, Protein Bars and shakes. My supplements in terms of Vitamins and minerals are also complete. I eat good carbs and low to moderate fat. My Protein is 150 g or more during the day. I do not think I am depriving myself of anything that is needed from a nutritional standpoint. I am not eating or drinking junk food or soda. I do have splenda and caffeine in my coffee.< /p>

Anyone else want to rant about this??? Can someone just come snip my Vagus nerve right now to take this hunger from me?

I am of no help... but a friend posted a funny on Facebook:

"Now I remember how skinny feels.... HUNGRY!"

Well, at least you got six months without so much hunger! I have never lost the hunger. I was hungry right away after surgery and remain so to this day. It is not just head hunger or the desire to eat. By golly, I'm hungry!!

It seems I eat all day long, and I do, but it's just small quantities of healthy foods, so I am maintaining well. I was just disappointed to have to still deal with so much hunger. But on the plus side, that hunger allows me to live a "normal" life in that I want food, enjoy food, love to cook and prepare food. Could be worse, I guess... could be one of those poor souls who have to remind and make themselves eat.

Sounds like I eat more calories than you do, and you appear to be a good bit taller than I am. But my base metabolic rate is really high, so I have to get around 2100-2200 calories per day to maintain at 165.

Wish I knew how to make the hunger go away!

Shoot fiddle, I'm hungry now at 4 months can you imagine me at 9? Watch out :P

But for you, I think you need to look at the AMOUNT of exercise you do! It's crazy! I mean you exercise so much I think I'm losing weight just reading about it! You probably need that extra fuel don't you think ?

I know my husband does and he's super athletic he drinks one of my Protein Drinks just as a primer before a meal...

Shoot fiddle' date=' I'm hungry now at 4 months cans you imagine me at 9? Watch out :P

But for you, I think you need to look at the AMOUNT of exercise you do! It's crazy! I mean you exercise so much I think I'm losing weight just reading about it! You probably need that extra fuel don't you think ?

I know my husband does and he's super athletic he drinks one of my Protein drinks just as a primer before a meal...[/quote']

I don't want to become a tissue eating stick figure:

http://www.ibtimes.com/former-vogue-editor-reveals-models-are-eating-tissues-stay-thin-tell-all-book-1165223#

:)

I think it's from drinking armadillos..

Be right back!! I'm of to costco to pick up Kleenex!!!

Well' date=' at least you got six months without so much hunger! I have never lost the hunger. I was hungry right away after surgery and remain so to this day. It is not just head hunger or the desire to eat. By golly, I'm hungry!!

It seems I eat all day long, and I do, but it's just small quantities of healthy foods, so I am maintaining well. I was just disappointed to have to still deal with so much hunger. But on the plus side, that hunger allows me to live a "normal" life in that I want food, enjoy food, love to cook and prepare food. Could be worse, I guess... could be one of those poor souls who have to remind and make themselves eat.

Sounds like I eat more calories than you do, and you appear to be a good bit taller than I am. But my base metabolic rate is really high, so I have to get around 2100-2200 calories per day to maintain at 165.

Wish I knew how to make the hunger go away![/quote']

Thanks, you do sound like the hunger issue affects you too! One of these days, I will need to go see what my metabolic rate is. I am 5'11" ( maybe even 6'0" - I swear I am taller now that I do not slouch) and 178 lb. are there online tables or a formula I can use to determine what my caloric intake should be? I burn about 1000 calories a day from some kind of exercise.

So, how in the world does one eat 2000 calories a day? It seems like I am constantly eating all day long ( Protein stuffs) and still hitting max 1200. Maybe I will have to start eating higher calorie alternatives, or like Laura said, drink a shake before each main meal to get an extra 500 calories or so.

I think it's from drinking armadillos..

Luckily I was not drinking my nectar shake or it would have spewed every where. Also luckily I am using my ipad with the virtual keyboard or I would be cleaning out the keys on my computer keyboard for days. Your comedic timing is perfect. I think we have enough material on VST to win Last Comic Standing. Lol.

Be right back!! I'm of to costco to pick up Kleenex!!!

I thought they meant human tissue, like from walking dead. Hehe.

Is there a nutritionist at your surgeon's office? Maybe they can guide you as to where you should be with counts?

Is there a nutritionist at your surgeon's office? Maybe they can guide you as to where you should be with counts?

Yes, there is a wonderful NUT at my WLS Center. I will hound her with my eating questions at the next support meeting ( next week). Again. :)

I am at 10 weeks and hungry a lot to but I have found a way to curb it... it works for me in more ways then one.

I have been doing this for the last 2 weeks. At the start of the week I take 1 pack of mixed greens and combine it with 1 pack baby spinach and store in in the fridge. I take about 2 cups of 0% fat free fage greek yogurt and mix it with a packet of hidden valley ranch dry mix seasoning. It taste exactly like a very rich ranch dressing but without the calories and less than 1g carb per tablespoon and over 5g Protein per serving.

I grab about 2 handfuls of salad, peel and cut up 2 mini cucumbers, mix in about 2-3 table spoons of dressing and season with a little garlic salt. It taste so amazing and refreshing. I usually eat it in the late evening after dinner or if have a really late dinner I will have it in the early evening.

I was having a BM about 1-2 times a week and it wasnt easy. In the last 2 weeks since eating this salad everyday I have a BM once a day and some days even twice... and its a normal BM with no Constipation feeling.

If you enjoy a good salad this works for me.

Sometimes I also will have 2-3 mini cucumbers, the ones from costco, with a little salt as a snack. Helps curb the cravings as well.

I am at 10 weeks and hungry a lot to but I have found a way to curb it... it works for me in more ways then one.

I have been doing this for the last 2 weeks. At the start of the week I take 1 pack of mixed greens and combine it with 1 pack baby spinach and store in in the fridge. I take about 2 cups of 0% fat free fage greek yogurt and mix it with a packet of hidden valley ranch dry mix seasoning. It taste exactly like a very rich ranch dressing but without the calories and less than 1g carb per tablespoon.

I grab about 2 handfuls of salad' date=' peel and cut up 2 mini cucumbers, mix in about 2-3 table spoons of dressing and season with a little garlic salt. It taste so amazing and refreshing. I usually eat it in the late evening after dinner or if have a really late dinner I will have it in the early evening.

I was having a BM about 1-2 times a week and it wasnt easy. In the last 2 weeks since eating this salad everyday I have a BM once a day and some days even twice... and its a normal BM with no Constipation feeling.

If you enjoy a good salad this works for me.

Sometimes I also will have 2-3 mini cucumbers, the ones from costco, with a little salt as a snack. Helps curb the cravings as well.[/quote']

This is a really interesting suggestion.

One thing for certain is I did not get really hungry until month 6. At 10 weeks, I was in the camp of folks where it was hard to get in necessary daily Proteins. Eating more then 2 ounces of solid Protein hurt. Today, 4-5 ounces of Protein goes down fine.

What do people think about using the appetite suppressants to deal with the hunger, like Hoodia or something related. I don't really want to hear that the only tool we can use is our tool. Heck, I use supplements, exercise, run, cross fit, do yoga, hike and other things to help with weight loss / maintain?