Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bubbles bubbles everywhere!

Just finished the psych eval and all those millions of bubble answer sheets. Should I be worried if the doctor said I'm a fair candidate? (not good or poor)

no worries, you're good to go!

he should have let you know at the end of the session. Mine gave me two thumbs up and thought I would do grat

She said I was a fair candidate and she thought I'd do ok but I would have more challenges than most who get the sleeve. Not exactly anything reassuring.

Did she say why she thought you'd have more challenges, or what she anticipates will be the areas you struggle with? It seems pretty sucky to say, Oh, you'll have more challenges, and not give any more feedback.

Yea tell me about it! She seemed hesitant to tell me what she thought and only did so because I asked at the end of the interview session and even then didn't really tell me a whole lot. She said she thought I'd have more trouble because of my mental health history and my family's mental health history. She said she was worried that I would have a hard time adjusting without a counselor. I have a counselor, just waiting to be scheduled for an appointment which she said was good but she said she was worried that I don't have one right now. Idk I guess I should just be glad she didn't classify me as a poor candidate?

Hmmmmm...

It's definitely true that some mental disorders can have a genetic component that leads to a predisposition for developing problems, so a family history & a personal history would be factors to consider. And I certainly think that going through counseling with WLS can be hugely helpful, because it's such a big transition. When are you planning to have surgery? I'm planning for June, and have been reading and researching as much as I can.

I'm hoping for a May date because of school which is kinda crazy considering its April but everything should get submitted this week to the insurance *fingers crossed* I knew going into this my mental health would present unique challenges its just kind of disheartening to hear a professional doubt your abilities. Guess I gotta prove her wrong lol

I'm hoping for a May date because of school which is kinda crazy considering its April but everything should get submitted this week to the insurance *fingers crossed* I knew going into this my mental health would present unique challenges its just kind of disheartening to hear a professional doubt your abilities. Guess I gotta prove her wrong lol

Haha...I'm planning for June because of school. I have a 5 day window between my 2 summer classes, so I'm planning for June 19. I'm working on a masters degree in mental health counseling...shocking that I was drawn to your post, right?? ;)

Don't think of it as doubting your abilities. Think of it as an impartial assessment that shows what you already know...you might have some extra challenges, but with preparation and commitment you can do it!

Haha :-) I feel you on fitting it into a tight school schedule, mine isn't as close together. I have 11 days in May but set up my first summer class as an online course to try and help with scheduling and healing time. My classes and the dining hall are a half of a mile to a mile from my dorm each way so I'd rather not walk that the week after surgery. Not that I'd be using the dining hall much haha

I commute over an hour to school. I have to drive to the 1st summer class, but the 2nd one is online, so that's why I will be able to do it right after surgery. You can probably skip having to buy the meal plan for next year! :)

My psychologist almost didn't give me his okay - proved him wrong :D

Good to know desert19! That's 1700 some odd dollars a semester that I won't have to worry about, southernsoul. Sounds like a good thing to me!