Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to explain why i need this

My husband keeps asking me this. I'd the post-op lifestyle still involves a low calorie diet, exercise, no alcohol, no caffeine...why can't I just do that without the surgery and pretend I had it. Especially since the low hunger only apparently lasts 6 months or so even with the surgery. I know I can only go so long with a low calorie diet with my current body and metabolism. I did it with Weight Watchers (-35 kg) and Optifast (-20 kg). The problem is that it is such hard work and I am worming against my body so much, that after 6 months or so on such a restrictive diet I just lose steam

I am hopeful that the surgery will give me that extra advantage that I need to push through it, and that at least I will have somewhat of a break from the physical hunger so I can focus on developing the good habits. I am already starting to develop them. I have cut back from 5-8 cups of coffee a day to 1. I have cut back to one glass of wine a week. I have completely cut out carbonated beverages (even though I love sparkling water) and have been drinking at least 8 glasses of Water a day. All of this before I even book my initial appointment. I figure if I'm not able to do at least this much now, I won't succeed after surgery.

The next change I will make is to get my exercise going, starting with 3 times a week and hoping to work up to 5. I am serious about this.

But can any of you articulate why we need the sleeve to move us beyond what we can do with diet and exercise alone? When I try to talk about it, I just get flustered and emotional!

I usually think of it this way: Yes I can lose weight on a diet. The problem is that when I return to eating a regular diet the weight comes back. Its a vicious cycle that we've all been thru more than once. I chose the sleeve because I'm too tired and too old to keep fighting this battle. The sleeve will allow me to win the battle once and for all and I can begin to live my life without the weight issue always hanging over my head.

Or if all else fails just say you are getting it because you want it - case closed:)

I feel exactly the way you do...but how many times have I said that I should just do all the "work" required of me after the surgery, without the procedure? And how many times have I completely failed and binged and then I'm back to square one? It really is very hard to explain to someone who hasn't had the mental (and physical) struggle. Personally, I'm hoping the pre-op visit with the psychologist will help me to articulate things (and I am planning to work with her for a while after surgery, too).

I wish you the best of luck, and we all know that we wouldn't be doing this if it was as easy as just "following a diet" and losing! Take care!

Thanks for the support! :)

It's hard to explain to those who have never battled with their weight why this is so important. I had a few people say similar things. My answer is if it was that easy don't you think everyone would be thin?

I was told you just need to exercise more etc. prior to my sleeve it was difficult for me to exercise because of my weight a d my joint problems. It was extremely difficult. Now 3.5 months out I love my treadmill!! I have lost 67lbs in 4 months, I have formed a lot of great new habits, it still requires a lot of work because your sleeve is only a tool but once the weight starts coming off its really motivating and you feel so fantastic that I actually crave exercise for the first time in my life.

I also like to look at it like this. Obesity is a disease and just like any other disease why wouldn't you look for treatment options. If you had high Blood pressure and someone told you not to take anti hypertensive medication but to just decrease your salt intake that would be frowned upon. If you were diabetic and someone told you not to take insulin just to eat less sugar that wouldn't be acceptable either. So why is it that with obesity we are treated like we are lazy and should just eat less and exercise more?

People who have never had a weight problem have a hard time grasping these concepts. I am a nurse, I have struggled with obesity all my life, I knew the risks of the surgery as well as the long term risks of obesity on my health. I choose a new healthier me and I don't regret it for one minute. My husband had the same questions, I told him the same thing as I just stated here. He still quietly disagreed but just yesterday he said to me I can't believe the difference and he was sorry he wasn't more supportive I the beginning.

I choose to keep my surgery to myself prior to going, I told my parents, in laws and sister and that's it. I didn't want to have everyone's negative comments talk me out of it because i had postponed the surgery once already die yo letting some pretty negative comments get me down.Now it's been over 3 months and I am not afraid to tell anyone what I have done. I look at is as a positive life style change and not a diet for the rest if my life. Without the sleeve I would not be where I am today :) good luck with your journey. I say follow your heart and choose what you feel is In your best interest.

I think this is a great question, and one I even asked myself before surgery. Since there is no malabsorption, we don't get the "extra benefit" of decreased calories, even. I think you said it great with "working against your body", because I felt like I was in a fight with mine every day. Even now, over eating is not an issue, but I still feel like my body is fighting back and trying to hang on to the weight.

I always had will power, but I would also run out of steam because it took every ounce of energy I had to stay on track and fight that fight. But what I've learned in the 3.5 months since my surgery is that the sleeve augments my will power. Now most of the time, I have no problem folliowing the program because I can only hold so much. And on the rare occassion (yesterday, for example) when I felt a little out of control, I can still only hold so much! So, a combination of physicial restriction with decreased hunger hormones really does make a HUGE difference.

We can only do the post op stuff because of the surgery. Of you have not had the surgery you will not be able to maintain that kind of diet long term

I answered that one a bunch too...

I'm sure a lot of us have gotten the weight off at one time or another only to have it creep back up. I'm about 3 and a half months out and still don't feel hungry (thankfully). And I'm ok if traditional hunger comes back at some point. The restriction, however is forever. Yes, we may be able to take in more the further out from surgery we get, but there is no way you'll consume in one sitting what you did before. In the meantime, my habits have changed so much. The good choices are becoming second nature, I don't feel I'm starving myself or depriving myself at all. I am completely satisfied at the end of a 4oz. meal. I feel that when I lose the weight I want to, it will be easier to maintain the loss because of surgery. I don't want to be on a diet forever, I want to live a healthy lifestyle, the sleeve will help with that.

My problem mainly was portion. I had a big appetite, I could go all day without eating only to have a bowl full of Pasta in one sitting. Not proud of it, but I had to get real honest about what my issues were. This surgery gave me the single biggest tool I could have hoped for. I eat every 4 hours or so, and track everything. I'm accountable to me, but it helps following up with the nutritionist and having her check out my logs.

Best of luck to you!!!

I think you got some good answers here but I'd just like to add...why won't you ever be drinking or having caffeene and why do you think you'll be on a diet for your lifetime? I didn't have the sleeve because I wanted to live the diet lifestyle and I don't. I enjoy wine regularly and a cup of coffee each day (which is all I ever have had). I eat more Protein than I used to, but that's the only real change I have. I can eat so little that it's pretty much impossible to gain weight even if that "little" includes things like french fries or ice cream. I can only eat about 4 fries anyhoo :P

Since the surgery I do find that sugars are harder to consume and I keep those very low, not because my "diet" requires it, but because they don't sit well on my tummy. That's not a bad thing :) I'm six months out and while I regret having had this surgery due to the complications, it would not be fair for me to say that I didn't lose weight and that I have absolutely no hunger drive. I have to really think about eating because if I miss a meal I can't make it up as I used to. The loss of hunger thing is different for all of us but I know many people six months to a year out who still have no real hunger issues. Head hunger? Sure that's a demon many fight with, but real hunger...it's just not there, even when it should be.

I know that at least in theosinf phase I owe it to myself not to cheat. I also know that you can regain weight if you slack off after you hit goal. I am committed to making the changes permanent this time. If I go back to my old ways, even if I'm eating less, I will gain weight and defeat the purpose. Of course I will have occasional treats but I certainly won't be able to have fries every day or wine either.

We can all diet, but that strict does eventually triggers rebound eating. Mindless eating large amounts of food. The sleeve will restrict the amount of food you can eat. So no more a huge plate of Pasta, there's no room. If we do try to stuff food in we will get sick and not want to do that again. Its a quantity restriction tool. End of story! Now rock it, you deserve it.