Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Has anyone heard from Brandy? I've been worried about her and her DH.

I hope she posts when she can, I'm sure they are pretty busy getting things settled.

Has anyone heard from Brandy? I've been worried about her and her DH.

I hope she posts when she can, I'm sure they are pretty busy getting things settled.

I know. I was hoping we'd hear from her. I need to go to bed now, but maybe there will be news when we get up in the morning.

Okay, kind of a drive-by . . .

First of all, Brandy, sending lots of positive vibes your way. Please post about DH when you can.

Got my blood tests back . . . electrolytes are great. Kidneys and liver are swell. My glucose was 156!!!!! I am soooooo bummed. So so so bummed. It's never been that high! I was sure it would be down since I've started losing weight. So now I have to go in and have an oral GTT . . . diabetes is rampant in my family and I have been teetering on the edge for several years. Damn.

But here's some good news . . . a long time ago I think I posted about how my son and I were interviewed for a short little informational video about this organization for people with schizophrenia . . . anyhoo, the woman who is the head of the international organization called today to say that our story would be highlighted in the video and they want us to come to New York and speak at some special function at the UN! I will only speak for like 5 minutes after they show the video, but it's pretty cool!!!

Sorry to be selfish and just talk about myself here, but I was really excited about the UN thing and really bummed about the glucose thing and needed to share the good and the bad. :thumbup::frown:

Mini-Girl, 156 is not so bad. Was that a fasting test? Doc rarely to do the GTT anymore. The ADA uses several other ways of diagnosing Type 2 DM.

1. 2 random fastings greater than 126

2. 2 random blood sugars greater than 200. (these are not fastings)

3. 2 hour Oral Glucose Tolerance Test

One fasting greater than 126 doesn't mean you're diabetic. Remember that many toothpastes have a lot of glucose in them. IF I check my fasting after I've brushed my teeth, my glucose is always high - i.e. 160's. If I check prior to brushing my teeth it's 80 or less.

Anything taken by mouth can affect your glucose, even if it's just meds with Water - a fasting can be altered easily.

Hang tight and wait and see whta the OGTT says. Weight loss makes a big difference too Mini. As you lose weight, you sugars will improve greatly.

I'm glad your lytes are okay. I'm hoping things improve. I love that you're Puff Mama, but you'll always be my Puff Mama to My Heavy DD!

Well, I can certainly understand your paranoia . . . but I really do think that they tend to err on the side of safety with people who have a family history. Do you feel pretty comfortable with your breast care center?

BTW-Sorry to hear about your neighbor situation. Oh my. They just sound swell. Hope they drop the damned fence thing. Geez.

Oh, swell is one word for them all right. I feel like I live in the movie "Deliverance" now....

Ladies, a quick question. Is it really necessary to get fills so soon after being banded? In my research, I have read that you would need a fill ideally every 3 to 4 months until you hit your sweet spot, but some people's signatures show them getting a fill every month after surgery for at least 3 months. That's just crazy expensive for me, and I'm hoping that's not normal??? :frown:

Jaime - I got fills that were a few months apart. This worked for me (especially since I had to travel to get them) because I had to "adjust" myself...and also knowing FOR SURE that I needed a fill. I've lost a decent amount of weight. A little slower than others, but it's not a race, it's life! You don't HAVE TO get a fill anyway, it just helps the tool to work better. Just take your time and PLAN on a few fills the first year - you'll be fine and we're here for support.

Brandy - thinking/praying for you and your DH...even way up here! Maybe the Northern Lights ARE majical?!

Mini - that's just WAY COOL that you've been chosen. You should be very proud of how you've coped with this terrible disease in your life. I'm not sure I could be so graceful. Now: the boobs - I, too, have breast cancer in my near maternal side, but breast tissue changes so rapidly that I wouldn't get myself all worked up about it - because that can cause tissue changes too! The neighbors - this is going to sound corny/cheesy, but why don't you pray for your neighbors? Yeah, go ahead with the lawyers, etc., but maybe they just need a friend and that's why they want to live so close. After all that praying I suggest getting some really loud, young, super ADHD foster kids to play in the back yard! :thumbup: Works here!

Lifesaver - I'm totally not interested in BFL (although that may change), but I wanted to thank you for passing along valuable information.

Thank you, thank you! I was just thinking that I wrote, but no one was listening...then WHAMO tons of kudos for my NSV leather jacket! Thank you so much...I really DO need that sometimes! As do we all or we wouldn't be here.

Halloween Challenge: Got my scale working so maybe I'll be able to weigh myself Friday. I'm on a volleyball team now and that's at least getting me active (and bruised...you should see my arms!)...even got slamed in the head from a Samoan spiking the ball! I'm so tough! (Sarcasm there!) Anyway, I've decided to not try so hard with the dieting...I was so miserable last week and not enjoyable to be around...I decided that I'll just be more careful about what I put in my mouth and choose "good" food over crap and see how that goes. I may be in need of a fill, but that's not happening for a while if it does at all. I'm not quitting, but I'm not going to be as miserable as I was a couple of years ago when I WAS fat and didn't have the Band!

Ladies, a quick question. Is it really necessary to get fills so soon after being banded? In my research, I have read that you would need a fill ideally every 3 to 4 months until you hit your sweet spot, but some people's signatures show them getting a fill every month after surgery for at least 3 months. That's just crazy expensive for me, and I'm hoping that's not normal??? :laugh:

My first fill is scheduled 4 wks. after surgery. From my understanding, the band is empty when placed. To feel decent restriction you will need a fill ASAP(4-6 wks)...unless you are one of the lucky ones.:frown: I had my consult with Paula today and she said I probably won't feel the tightness until my 1st fill. I hear ya about the expense. We are in CO temporarily for me to have surgery.(DH is a travel RN) Our contract is up @ the end of Oct. but I'm hoping we can extend so I can be close to Dr.K.:thumbup: Who in the heck can afford to shell out $200 for a fill? Especially when you are self-pay and already have a monthy payment for the surgery.

Grr...frustrating!:)

Oh, swell is one word for them all right. I feel like I live in the movie "Deliverance" now....

Listen Munchi, I can hear the banjo playing... and Ned Beatty is out there somewhere!

Brandy~

Hoping everything went well today. Thinking of you during this difficult time. Please let us know how everything went.:thumbup:

Marcyinak~

To be honest, I just came up w/something real quick when I first registered months ago. I had no idea I would get addicted.Otherwise, I would've come up w/something clever like akgka(ak girls kick ass).:frown: But...since you asked, its a long running joke between my bff and me. The PD part will always remain a mystery:rolleyes:, the MNM came from our maiden names and '95 was the year this all took place. Maybe I will chg. my log-in to akgka. What do you think?

The ambien is a great idea! I will definitely have to ask Dr.K. I can't believe how much anxiety I'm having over this. I'm really not worried about the pain but anesthesia. I had a bad experience w/my first surgery but that was yrs. ago.

I am looking into financing. Dr. K's office needs payment by Oct. 15th. Have you shopped around? Who was the easiest to work with? I have applied with surgeryloans.com and been approved, but I haven't heard what there interest rate is. I have a job interview on Friday and weather we move or stay the amount of the monthly payments will make a significant dent in our budget. Can you help me? Even though interest rates are partially determined by credit rating is there one out there you recomend?:thumbup::crying:

I am looking into financing. Dr. K's office needs payment by Oct. 15th. Have you shopped around? Who was the easiest to work with? I have applied with surgeryloans.com and been approved, but I haven't heard what there interest rate is. I have a job interview on Friday and weather we move or stay the amount of the monthly payments will make a significant dent in our budget. Can you help me? Even though interest rates are partially determined by credit rating is there one out there you recomend?:thumbup::crying:

Hey Julie! My husband and I co-applied through surgeryloans.com and were approved. We borrowed $12,000, to cover the costs of surgery as well as flight/car/hotel/prescriptions. Our payments are $345/mo for 4 years. What I wasn't aware of (until they sent us the paperwork) is that they charge a fee above and beyond what you borrow. We borrowed $12,000, but we financed $13,636 ~ which equates to nearly a $1,700 fee we are paying just to borrow the money. I wasn't too happy about that, but it's way better than using a 15.9% interest rate VISA card!

I will tell you this, you need to go ahead and get your loan paperwork now if you're going to go with them. The things you have to fill out are extensive, including an Employment Verification, and you have to get something notarized. And if you co-apply with someone, you have to get the documents filled out for each of you.

I'd be happy to share more personal information with you through PM, to give you an idea of our financial situation. Of course, the interest rates you get are determined largely by your income and credit rating.

Edited by jmegirl

I was told that Fill Centers USA in NC does fills for about $165/fill, but there's a $400 "start-up fee" before anything. Of course, I haven't verified this. ShelbiCallie told me that's what she pays.

Thanks, the Fill Center USA nearest me is way more than that. I will be driving to NC soon to look at colleges with my daughter.

Thanks, the Fill Center USA nearest me is way more than that. I will be driving to NC soon to look at colleges with my daughter.

Woohoo!! GO PACK!! NC State is a great school. :thumbup: But I'm only saying that because I've been working on my Undergraduate degree for 8yrs and will FINALLY be graduating this December from good ol' NCSU. :tongue2:

Also, I haven't actually confirmed those numbers with the local Fill Centers people. I am going to do that one day soon, so I'll let you know what I find out if you're interested. Ultimately though, I think I'll travel back and forth to Dr. K, as long as I'm not needing a fill every month! That would get to be way too expensive.

I might have to solicit a ride (from one of you locals) between the Denver Airport and Dr. K's office when I come into town for my fills! After a $220-250 plane ticket, another $40 for a rental car sure is a lot of money! :)

No problem when you need a ride. Just give plenty of notice.

OMG if you're being serious...:thumbup: I only said that half-joking. No way a completely anonymous person from the internet would offer me a ride! That's just too kind!

Gosh, you guys are amazing! :tongue2: :)

jmegirl

Seriously, if you need a ride, just hollar. Maybe I'd need a fill at the same time, I'm not too far from Dr K's office or the airport.